The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree it tastes like I'm drinking chemicals.
Reply 2
I don't mind it, but the water that comes out of the taps in my house smells like onions, and it doesn't make me too excited to drink it.
Reply 3
Original post by Mariah246
I agree it tastes like I'm drinking chemicals.

You are, the chemical is called water.
Reply 4
It's filled with all sorts of metals and ****... but then again bottled is only marginally better
Have you recently moved house? Some of my uni flatmates took a while to adjust to the taste of the water here.
Reply 6
I like the taste of tap water but only from the kitchen, everywhere else i have this paranoia that its dirty lol. Whether its safe to drink it, I can't be bothered to care really.
Reply 7
Original post by Sinope
You are, the chemical is called water.

:eek: really ? Well looks like I can't drink it again.
I always wondered if the water gets a metallic taste from the pipes it travels to your house in, but the strongest taste is definitely chlorine.

Plus, I've bought that Asda still water before (just read a news article about them re-bottling "filtered" tap water) and it tastes fine

Guess I'll be investing in a water filter

P.S. It says on the site for our water supplier to put water in the fridge for a few hours and the taste will go

Will boiling water and then cooling it get rid of the taste as well?

Edit: just looked up a report on the website and it says our drinking water failed reports for containing Iron and Manganese :yucky:

Why am I like the complete opposite of Iron Man :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Depends on where you live. London tap water seemed to have a brownish colour to me, but the tap water at home is better than bottled water, probably because its quite rural.
I live in glasgow, the tap water here is great, but at uni it's awful, still drink it though.
I'm always skeptical of people saying they can taste chlorine in tap water. Like those people who can tell the difference between normal and diet coke. Maybe I just have insensitive taste buds.
Reply 12
Original post by PythianLegume
I'm always skeptical of people saying they can taste chlorine in tap water. Like those people who can tell the difference between normal and diet coke. Maybe I just have insensitive taste buds.

My friend if you saw what was really in tap water it would never go near your lips again
Reply 13

The difference is pretty distinct tbh and I don't like either.
Original post by tonberry
My friend if you saw what was really in tap water it would never go near your lips again

People live healthily for 80+ years while getting their water supply from the taps, I doubt it's that bad.
I don't mind drinking tap water, but I MUST leave the tap running for at least 10-20 seconds before drinking it. I have a fear of drinking that cloudy water that can sometimes come out of the tap.

The water thing I can kind of see. But you seriously can't taste the difference between full fat and diet coke? They are worlds apart in taste to me, the sweetener is just rancid.
I quite like the water in Farnborough (South of England). I think the minerals it runs through is what does it. We have a hard water area here, so it's full of calcium and flouride (that's probably put in on purpose), which is good for teeth and I think it makes the water taste nicer. My boyfriend has a filter placed in his plumbing and I hate the way his water tastes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Tap water is fine and safe. I get kind of annoyed when people turn their nose up at it, not many countries have drinkable tap water. It tastes nice to me. :dontknow:
Reply 19
It's the case in some places more than others, depending on your local water supplier.

Latest