The Student Room Group

Radiography or Biomedical Science for Medicine Graduate Entry?

Basically I have offers for...

Ulster (Coleraine) - Bio-medical Science (1 more B at A Level)

Ulster (Jordanstown) - Diagnostic Radiography (2 more Bs at A Level)

Ulster (Jordanstown) - Therapeutic Radiography (2 more Bs at A Level)

I still have to interview for...

University of Bradford - Foundation in Medicine (I already meet the entrance requirements)

Bio-medical Science at Ulster is meant to be a really good research school and has the highest rating in the UK. Plus Bio-medical science is a common route into medicine. Plus the knowledge you get from Bio-Med would obviously make a degree in medicine a bit easier.

Radiography is meant to be just as good for entry into medicine. In this instance, because I'm in Northern Ireland, I get a bursary and don't have to pay any tuition fees. Therefore no debt, which wold make it easier in the long run.

The foundation in medicine teaches chem, bio and ethics in one year. The top 20/80-120 go to Leeds Medical school the following year, if you're unsuccessful you can join Clinical Sciences and then apply the top 20 in the first year go to Leeds, if unsuccessful again you finish your clinical sciences degree then go for GEM. I don't know if I'm good enough to get into medical school that way.

What degree would you recommend for medicine? I'm leaning more towards Diagnostic Radiography because there's no tuition fees, I get a bursary, close to the big city and it's a full BSc (Hons) in just 3 years.

Your opinions? Thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 01Chris02

Bio-medical Science at Ulster is meant to be a really good research school and has the highest rating in the UK. Plus Bio-medical science is a common route into medicine. Plus the knowledge you get from Bio-Med would obviously make a degree in medicine a bit easier.

Radiography is meant to be just as good for entry into medicine. In this instance, because I'm in Northern Ireland, I get a bursary and don't have to pay any tuition fees. Therefore no debt, which wold make it easier in the long run.

What degree would you recommend for medicine? I'm leaning more towards Diagnostic Radiography because there's no tuition fees, I get a bursary, close to the big city and it's a full BSc (Hons) in just 3 years.

Hi there , I have just gotten into medical school and I have a few freinds who are medics/doctors and doing a biomedical sciences degree does not help at all whatsoever. The truth is that with some schools even non-science grads can get in if they get the right A levels. I think that doing diagnostic radiography would better suit you due to the exposure of patient contact, communication and diagnosis, which by all means is the centre of medicine. I think this would make you stand out and will better prepare you for medical school. Also even if you don't get into medicine staright away you are guaranteed a job as a radiographer and can work for a year and make some money to save up and reapply again. I know some biomeds who are working as waitressess now, its hard to find a job in that sector. You would have to do a PhD to get a good job as a biomed scientist. Also you can potentially work in the summer and part time at med school as a radiographer.

And you won't pay any tuition fees and you get a bursary, graduate med is EXPENSIVE , you probabaly wont get into a 4 year one but a 5 year one as thats how competitive it is. I am not tryna scare you , i am telling you the TRUTH.

Why dont you do medicine straight away instead though?
Reply 2
Original post by lilmissA
Hi there , I have just gotten into medical school and I have a few freinds who are medics/doctors and doing a biomedical sciences degree does not help at all whatsoever. The truth is that with some schools even non-science grads can get in if they get the right A levels. I think that doing diagnostic radiography would better suit you due to the exposure of patient contact, communication and diagnosis, which by all means is the centre of medicine. I think this would make you stand out and will better prepare you for medical school. Also even if you don't get into medicine staright away you are guaranteed a job as a radiographer and can work for a year and make some money to save up and reapply again. I know some biomeds who are working as waitressess now, its hard to find a job in that sector. You would have to do a PhD to get a good job as a biomed scientist. Also you can potentially work in the summer and part time at med school as a radiographer.

And you won't pay any tuition fees and you get a bursary, graduate med is EXPENSIVE , you probabaly wont get into a 4 year one but a 5 year one as thats how competitive it is. I am not tryna scare you , i am telling you the TRUTH.

Why dont you do medicine straight away instead though?

Thanks so much that was really useful! :smile:

Truth be told I haven't studied Chem or Biology past GCSE so I couldn't apply for medicine. However I was able to apply for the above since I have maths and physics at A Level. So graduate entry is really my only option, I think Malta would be a nice place for graduate medicine.

Yeah it's unfortunate how expensive and competitive the 4 year option is! I know a few taking the GAMSAT this year and they've explained this to me. :P

What medical school are you going to?Congrats on getting in!

Any other opinions? I very much leaning to diagnostic radiography then medicine right now! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks so much that was really useful! :smile:

Truth be told I haven't studied Chem or Biology past GCSE so I couldn't apply for medicine. However I was able to apply for the above since I have maths and physics at A Level. So graduate entry is really my only option, I think Malta would be a nice place for graduate medicine.

Yeah it's unfortunate how expensive and competitive the 4 year option is! I know a few taking the GAMSAT this year and they've explained this to me. :P

What medical school are you going to?Congrats on getting in!

Any other opinions? I very much leaning to diagnostic radiography then medicine right now! :biggrin:

Thanks you :smile: ! I have just gotten an unconditional offer at Aberdeen school of medicine and dentistry ! honestly ime still on a high about it !!

Hmm i think its a good idea too apply to different countries when applying to medicine, I really wanted to stay in the UK so that wans't an option for me. But make sure that when you apply to those countries ensure that the medical course is an accredited one and that you can actually can come back to work in the UK when you qualify , that is assuming you would want to come back.
Also in terms of advice I think the 3 most important things when applying to medicine are
1 Grades, 2. UKCAT ,3 . Personal statement

In terms of grades you have to ensure that you graduate with the best degree as much as possible preferably a 1st class honours. At Aberdeen I was able to get a really high score because of my 1st class and some Unis will do the same as well. Do not take on too much extra curricula stuff because getting good grades is VERY important. You get long summers from uni and you can use those to do volunteer work and other stuff then.

For the UKCAT , I would advise you to use as much resources as possible and to take your time with it and practice using the tests on the website as much as possible. Take it when you feel comfortable with it and preferably in mid August. If you get a really high score you can apply to ukcat hungry unis like kings, barts and warwick etc. If youre score isnt that gr8t dnt dispair , just apply wisely to unis that don't put to much emphasis on it like Hull and BSMS.

In terms of personal statement, thats where you can talk as much as possible about the patient contact in radiography. Try to get some shadowing in a GP and hospital to get an overview of medicine. Talk to as much doctors and med students as possible. better yet befreind them , and trust me that made a huge difference in my understanding of the application process with medicine.

In terms of the GAMSAT, i really wouldn't bother with it if I were you. I have done it and i ended up with just an avg score and i did a science degree. It was seriously hard and expensive and only about 3 unis actually ask for it. So unless you have your heart set out on st.goesrges, notts swansea or Irish medschools i wouldnt bother as most of the med schools just ask for the ukcat. The worst thing is you don't get your results until AFTER you apply and the schools don't post their cut-off score until AFTER the results have come out which is a huge disadvantage. I really don't wanna discourage you but this is from my experience.

I know that Ireland do an exam called the HPAT. I am not familiar with it but i hear its similar to the UKCAT. So maybe keep that in mind when applying.

Also remember to apply WISELY , that is use your strenghts and like if you get a really good UKCAT score use that to your advantage ! But if your's is just avg apply to schools that only use it as part of the application and not a cut-off score etc.

I do wish you all the best for the future with medicine, and Ime sure you'll enjoy radiography as a degree.If you have any other questions about medicine and application process etc , do feel free to pm me :smile:

Good luck , xx

EDIT: I know this is long and i didnt realize it until ive posted this, but i just wanted to be as detailed as possible I guess :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

I still have to interview for...

University of Bradford - Foundation in Medicine (I already meet the entrance requirements)

The foundation in medicine teaches chem, bio and ethics in one year. The top 20/80-120 go to Leeds Medical school the following year, if you're unsuccessful you can join Clinical Sciences and then apply the top 20 in the first year go to Leeds, if unsuccessful again you finish your clinical sciences degree then go for GEM. I don't know if I'm good enough to get into medical school that way.

Diagnostic Radiography is fantastic, and if you are unsure, perhaps that would be the best option for you.

Some medical schools allow any degree, however other prefer Science degrees or outright demand them. A degree in biomedical science will put you in excellent stead for Medicine. All science-only universities list it directly as acceptable; Birmingham, Bristol, Imperial and Liverpool for example.

In my opinion, you put yourself at a disadvantage if you are studying radiography. Similarly, those with nursing degrees must work for 2 years before thy can apply to Medicine. I believe this is to do with the career change.

Take a look at this for a heads up;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Also, yes, clinical sciences is notorious for a lot of competitive students, but if you want it enough, you'll get there. Don't let anyone out you off.
Reply 5
Original post by becky1237
Diagnostic Radiography is fantastic, and if you are unsure, perhaps that would be the best option for you.

Some medical schools allow any degree, however other prefer Science degrees or outright demand them. A degree in biomedical science will put you in excellent stead for Medicine. All science-only universities list it directly as acceptable; Birmingham, Bristol, Imperial and Liverpool for example.

In my opinion, you put yourself at a disadvantage if you are studying radiography. Similarly, those with nursing degrees must work for 2 years before thy can apply to Medicine. I believe this is to do with the career change.

Take a look at this for a heads up;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Also, yes, clinical sciences is notorious for a lot of competitive students, but if you want it enough, you'll get there. Don't let anyone out you off.

I see what you mean, however the reason i suggested radiography is because the prob with OP is that even if he did biomed he probably still wouldnt be able to apply to Bristol, liverpool and Birmingham because in addition to a 2.1 or above in a science degree they ask for 3 A levels at ABB-AAA to include both chemistry and biology, i had phoned these unis up myself when i was applying and the reason was that they don't use the UKCAT so they have to use something else to distiniguish amongts applicants. So unless the OP would want to do two A levels again then it doesnt really matter. In terms of imperial , they are just CRAZY hard to get into probbaly harder then oxbridge IMO. I know of people who applied for med and got rejected for imperial and got offers from either oxford or cambridge and yes they had met the entry requirements of imperial. I am not saying that OP won't have a chance if he works really hard i'me just going with what ive read and what people have told me.

On the other hand, OP can still apply to unis such as kings, leiscter ( both 5 year and graduate if you work in a paid healthcare setting for 1 year which radiography will allow you to do), warwick , st. goerges, south hampton, newcastle and notts and also hull-york med. So yeah still have loads of options OP.

But in the end you gotta do whats right for you, go with what your guts say. Talk to some med students and call up some med schools to ask for advice. In the end i think its best to do something that you enjoy and go on to get a high score in rather than something you feel obligated to do at some point you might lose motivation. Don't worry there are loads of non- science students who still got into medicine. So if this is something you really want go for it and do your best and you''ll get there :smile:

Good luck OP xx
Reply 6
Original post by lilmissA
I see what you mean, however the reason i suggested radiography is because the prob with OP is that even if he did biomed he probably still wouldnt be able to apply to Bristol, liverpool and Birmingham because in addition to a 2.1 or above in a science degree they ask for 3 A levels at ABB-AAA to include both chemistry and biology, i had phoned these unis up myself when i was applying and the reason was that they don't use the UKCAT so they have to use something else to distiniguish amongts applicants. So unless the OP would want to do two A levels again then it doesnt really matter. In terms of imperial , they are just CRAZY hard to get into probbaly harder then oxbridge IMO. I know of people who applied for med and got rejected for imperial and got offers from either oxford or cambridge and yes they had met the entry requirements of imperial. I am not saying that OP won't have a chance if he works really hard i'me just going with what ive read and what people have told me.

On the other hand, OP can still apply to unis such as kings, leiscter ( both 5 year and graduate if you work in a paid healthcare setting for 1 year which radiography will allow you to do), warwick , st. goerges, south hampton, newcastle and notts and also hull-york med. So yeah still have loads of options OP.

But in the end you gotta do whats right for you, go with what your guts say. Talk to some med students and call up some med schools to ask for advice. In the end i think its best to do something that you enjoy and go on to get a high score in rather than something you feel obligated to do at some point you might lose motivation. Don't worry there are loads of non- science students who still got into medicine. So if this is something you really want go for it and do your best and you''ll get there :smile:

Good luck OP xx

That's a good point, lilmiss. The OP has an excellent backup of radiography. Perhaps this is indeed the best option as OP has something soft to fall back on, should he not succeed.
I think the best way to look at it, is OP has 2 and a half years to become that perfect candidate that he needs to be (me included).
Perhaps universities such as Warwick or Nottingham would be the best option. southhampton included. They'll be my options, even though imperial or barts would be lovely, I just wouldn't dare. However, they are very understanding with work experience opportunities - so perhaps the difficulty lies in the interview skill?

Congrats on your offer by the way, lilmiss!

Ill be doing biomedical science at Bradford this September. I'm terribly worried about the future.

Indeed, best of luck, OP
Reply 7
Original post by becky1237
That's a good point, lilmiss. The OP has an excellent backup of radiography. Perhaps this is indeed the best option as OP has something soft to fall back on, should he not succeed.
I think the best way to look at it, is OP has 2 and a half years to become that perfect candidate that he needs to be (me included).
Perhaps universities such as Warwick or Nottingham would be the best option. southhampton included. They'll be my options, even though imperial or barts would be lovely, I just wouldn't dare. However, they are very understanding with work experience opportunities - so perhaps the difficulty lies in the interview skill?

Congrats on your offer by the way, lilmiss!

Ill be doing biomedical science at Bradford this September. I'm terribly worried about the future.

Indeed, best of luck, OP

Thank you becky :smile: and congrats on biomed at bradford as well . Becky I Emmpathise with you a great deal. When I started my degree I was terribly worried about my future as well. In fact i did horrible in my A levels, I obtained a D in chem and english and a c in bio, this was deffinitely not what the repetoire of a future medic should look like , although there were many personal issues surrounding my grades for what they were including working an almost full time job! However, I wasnt going to let that stop me, I applied for a chemistry degree with a specialty in pharmaceutical science and i worked very hard at it. I enjoyed it and this time i settled down and was able to sort myself out. I ended up graduating with a 1st. My message to you and OP is to DO your best ( not try) you gotta DO it and give yourselves no choice but that. It is gonna be hard, your gonna feel frustrated , you might not get in the 1st time you applied but then you pick yaself up and try again. It is not about how hard you fall but rather about how much courage and strenght you have to pick yourself up again. That is dedication and thats what the admission officers are looking for. For now the only competition i want you guys to be worried about is with YOURSELF. I challenge you guys to be better , stronger faster and not to limit yourselves at anything! You can do it i promise you, your not gonna die :smile: ....

It took me a HUGE amount of sacrifices to get this thing Becky that is why ime so passionate about motivating young people like yourselves and others. Do well on your degree, your ukcat , write a smashing personal statement and by the time you guys get interviews they'll love you so much they'll be begging you to stay :smile:

By the way if you guys have any questions, please feel free to message me anytime and ille be glad to help :smile:

bets of luck to both of you for the future and also as my friend once said ''no matter what happens , its gonna be amazing !''
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending