The Student Room Group

QUB re-consideration thread- August 2013

Poll

To all those NOT holding medicine offers elsewhere, What are your interview rankings?

To all those who are unsuccessful now. It's not over yet. You could be re-considered in August. First, email the office to know your rankings and whether you could be reconsidered. Post on this thread to see what you are chances are.

From a re-applicant who was in your position last year.

Scroll to see replies

Hello there. Turns out I was ranked 386th place after interview. Offers were given to the top 375 interviewees. What are my chances, taking in to consideration that more offers were given out this year?

Ps. how many offers were given out last year?
Reply 2
Original post by awilson008
Hello there. Turns out I was ranked 386th place after interview. Offers were given to the top 375 interviewees. What are my chances, taking in to consideration that more offers were given out this year?

Hi.
I can completely understand the difficulty you are facing. The long wait can be extremely stressful.

From what I can see you are only 10 ranks off the highest rank (375) which is a positive sign. Trust me there were candidates last year who were nearly 100 ranks off but were still hoping for re-consideration.

If you do not mind can I ask whether you have any medical school offers elsewhere and whether you are a graduate or school leaver.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Goluck
Hi.
I can completely understand the difficulty you are facing. The long wait can be extremely stressful.

From what I can see you are only 10 ranks off the highest rank (375) which is a positive sign. Trust me there were candidates last year who were nearly 100 ranks off but were still hoping for re-consideration.

Yeah. On one hand I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but the thought keeps popping back in to my head.

I had nearly started to move on and plan a gap year. I better set up a few precautions just in case! But I don't wanna' book my UKCAT early again if there's a possibility I may get in during August.

Was there definitely 25-30 people who got in last year at that stage? Surely that doesn't include the people who had firmed other places and had decided to 'give up' on medicine?

Edit: Ps. I am a school leaver and I have no offers anywhere else.
Reply 4

Let me brush up
To be reconsidered:
i) you must not hold any offers from other medical schools on UCAS.
ii) you should have fulfilled all your conditions(if there any) by 15th August this year.

It is the A level results day this year. Should be normally when the reconsideration happens as they will know whether the candidates with conditional offers have met the requirements or not(2:1, AAA etc.).

As far as I can remember, last year there were
568 interviews
365 offers initially
25-30 were made available in August (not sure of the exact no.)

To be honest, these were quite a lot.
So these would benefit students who are desperate. The ones who are done and dusted elsewhere.

Despite the 10 more offers made this year than last year, I think there may still be a few left out at the end.

If you calculate there is still a discrepancy of those 15 odd places which could be available at the end of this year.

Last year, their feedback email read that they were expecting a few places in August. Does it say the same now?
Original post by Goluck
Let me brush up
To be reconsidered:
ii) you should have fulfilled all your conditions(if there any) by 15th August this year.

It is the A level results day this year. Should be normally when the reconsideration happens as they will know whether the candidates with conditional offers have met the requirements or not(2:1, AAA etc.).

As far as I can remember, last year there were
568 interviews
365 offers initially
25-30 were made available in August (not sure of the exact no.)

To be honest, these were quite a lot.
So these would benefit students who are desperate. The ones who are done and dusted elsewhere.

Despite the 10 more offers made this year than last year, I think there may still be a few left out at the end.

If you calculate there is still a discrepancy of those 15 odd places which could be available at the end of this year.

Last year, their feedback email read that they were expecting a few places in August. Does it say the same now?

Okay great, thanks.

And yes it does say that they expect a few places to be available in August in the email, so at least that is promising!
Reply 6
Okay great, thanks.

And yes it does say that they expect a few places to be available in August in the email, so at least that is promising!

There is no harm in planning a gap-year but having said that never loose hope. I would ask you to postpone the idea of UKCAT as you can save some money on it.

So that's the same sentence they used last year then. There should be a few in that case.
I tried to find out a person's post from last year who was in the same position that is 10 ranks off. He is not an active member right now.

Whilst the number of places that will be available in August is important, I think the situation of the ten students in front of you could be pivotal here too!

If all or most of the students above you have accepted onto other medical schools then you could be among the first set of people who will be automatically reconsidered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Goluck
There is no harm in planning a gap-year but having said that never loose hope. I would ask you to postpone the idea of UKCAT as you can save some money on it.

So that's the same sentence they used last year then. There should be a few in that case.
I tried to find out a person's post from last year who was in the same position that is 10 ranks off. He is not an active member right now.

Whilst the number of places that will be available in August is important, I think the situation of the ten students in front of you could be pivotal here too!

If all or most of the students above you have accepted onto other medical schools then you could be among the first set of people who will be automatically reconsidered.

Yeah I thought about that too :smile: I'm sure there are at least a couple of those people who will have firmed another uni by then! Things are looking a wee bit more up now. At the same time, I might get some work experience/volunteering done this summer just in case, plus it would keep me motivated. UKCAT will be postponed then, never wanted to do that test again anyway!

Ps. thank you for accompanying me on this long journey that I'm about to set out on! It's a selfless act saying that you have gotten your offer already! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah I thought about that too :smile: I'm sure there are at least a couple of those people who will have firmed another uni by then! Things are looking a wee bit more up now. At the same time, I might get some work experience/volunteering done this summer just in case, plus it would keep me motivated. UKCAT will be postponed then, never wanted to do that test again anyway!

Ps. thank you for accompanying me on this long journey that I'm about to set out on! It's a selfless act saying that you have gotten your offer already! :smile:

No hassle. Feel free to ask any questions you may have in the future. I am always ready to help:smile:.
I know how difficult it would be if there is no one to guide us in the uncertain times. I do not want you guys to suffer the plight I did last year.
Original post by Goluck
No hassle. Feel free to ask any questions you may have in the future. I am always ready to help:smile:.
I know how difficult it would be if there is no one to guide us in the uncertain times. I do not want you guys to suffer the plight I did last year.

Yeah I read about your wee journey on the main QUB forum. Quite inspirational! Shows you that you should never give up on your dreams!
Reply 10
Original post by Goluck

To be reconsidered:

Really? Is that how you got your place last year then? I'm not holding any offers either just waiting for the rejection email to come through
Reply 11

How did you find out your rank order? If you don't mind me asking
Original post by border657

Send admissions an email asking for it :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by border657

You have to email [email protected]

It took me forever to find the email too! :colondollar:
Reply 14
Hi~ I guess we are all the reconsiderees!

I'm ranked 412..not so sure if I should hold my breath for it :frown:

37 places off *gulp* and considering they have 280 places for the 375 offers they gave, my chances look bleak. I really did love Belfast when I went :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
One thing I did want to ask is about student finance.

What happens when it comes to august and I get an offer, can I still apply for tuition fee cover and a maintenance loan for my first year?

Or should I accept my biomed offer and apply for student finance now, then if I get an offer I can change the course and if I don't get an offer I can just cancel it?
Reply 16
Original post by enicidem
You have to email [email protected]

It took me forever to find the email too! :colondollar:

Please ask any questions you have on this thread. Having joined student room u will not find it difficult getting answers to your questions.
Reply 17
One thing I did want to ask is about student finance.

What happens when it comes to august and I get an offer, can I still apply for tuition fee cover and a maintenance loan for my first year?

Or should I accept my biomed offer and apply for student finance now, then if I get an offer I can change the course and if I don't get an offer I can just cancel it?

I am not entirely sure with this. As far as I know, u don't need to have any offers/accept any right now to apply for student finance. U can start your application even without any offers under your belt. U will have to write the course that u r more likely to attend from September(in your case u can say medicine or biomed). Say if you start your application telling them u will do biomed and later accept medicine through reconsideration, u can still make a change then.

All of this applies if you are a student from England. I went through the student finance website faq's and this is my understanding.

Contact details if you are from England:
Student finance: 0845 300 5090
http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/applying.aspx.
Reply 18
Original post by enicidem
Hi~ I guess we are all the reconsiderees!

I'm ranked 412..not so sure if I should hold my breath for it :frown:

37 places off *gulp* and considering they have 280 places for the 375 offers they gave, my chances look bleak. I really did love Belfast when I went :frown:

Being on waiting list at 2 schools is a stressful situation for you.

But never lose hope!:smile:

It really depends on the number of places available and the status of people above you.
I have created a poll above which if answered could give us a slightly better picture of your chances. I am not sure how far it will help though.
Reply 19
Hey there:smile:

Im ranked 382 i think. Realisticly what are my chances of getting in in August?
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest