The Student Room Group

Graduated with a 2.1 from King's College London. No job

While I have been doing temp work, I haven't got any formal job. I have a degree in Biomedical Science and irrespective of where I apply, I get rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection. I've lost track of the types of jobs that I have applied to. I've got no idea what to do.

Worst of all, my dreams and hopes of entering entering medical school have also been shattered after four rejections.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oz40
.............. irrespective of where I apply, I get rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection. I've lost track of the types of jobs that I have applied to. I've got no idea what to do.

Get your CV checked either on here or back at King's. get in touch with the King's Careers Service and ask them for help. Learn how to write applications that get you to interview. Have a realistic plan and think laterally about ways to achieve it. Learn how to use resources such as Linkedin, and network effectively.
You seem to have a sense of entitlement and are perhaps overestimating the application of your degree. Whilst your degree indicates a high level of intelligence and you will have gained some transferable skills from it, it is only really going to pack a punch in the sciences field. And a degree is not the only way to prove intelligence. Employers aren't so much looking for intelligence as they are skills and work experience. You can be high in the former and low on the latter. Life after graduation isn't cookie-cutter. The people who were high-fliers at school and university don't always make it big, and then often the ones who weren't deemed to be that bright do great things. Be grateful you've had temp work, because that's more than a lot of graduates are getting.
Internship?
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Get your CV checked either on here or back at King's. get in touch with the King's Careers Service and ask them for help. Learn how to write applications that get you to interview. Have a realistic plan and think laterally about ways to achieve it. Learn how to use resources such as Linkedin, and network effectively.

Sounds like a good idea.

I applied to several grad schemes, albeit unsuccessfully. Finding an actual job seems more difficult however. I've had interviews with PWC, Ernst and Young and another finance firm. As for the 50 jobs that I have applied to, have had a single interview. So while I look for employment, I think I will probably attempt to apply as many graduate schemes as I possibly can for 2014 entry.

Original post by phunky_fresh
Internship?

I think internships would be valuable in terms of gaining experience, although some firms only accept those in penultimate year of study. I graduated in Oct 2012 so that completely rules me out there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey how come you got rejected I assume you applied to graduate entry medicine?
Reply 6
There are hardly any jobs out there! My partner can't find a job and he has a first, a masters and his PhD and he's struggling. Get your CV looked at properly. I can't offer any more advice than that, just keep your chin up and carry on getting experience!
Original post by oz40
I think internships would be valuable in terms of gaining experience, although some firms only accept those in penultimate year of study. I graduated in Oct 2012 so that completely rules me out there.

Why didn't you do that?

What else do you have to offer besides your degree?
There are about 100 Universities in the Uk teaching Bio medical science to about 300 students each. Thats 30000 graduates with your degree each year. Plus each uni has about 25 Msc students and 30 Phd students. Thats another 5,000 post grads each year. You do the math.

Who ever told you that a biology or a biomedical degree gets you a job in the pharmaceutical industry did not tell you about the numbers in the above para.

As for any advice to go and see the careers advisor. Its so laughable that i wont even bother to deride it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Guy Secretan
Hey how come you got rejected I assume you applied to graduate entry medicine?

Yes. Even got rejected for the 5 year MBBS at Barts, much to my surprise.
Reply 10
Atleast Yiu won't have to pay back Your degree or loan :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by oz40

Why is it a surprise? GEM is much more competitive than the undergraduate course and there are people who are working in relevant areas with similar qualifications, or better than yours, who have not had offers.

I find it a bit odd that you have been applying for finance jobs and grad schemes when you apparently want to do GEM! Are you only interested in medicine because you have been unsuccessful in securing a job in finance?

If you are going to reapply for GEM for 2014, I suggest you consider finding work as a HCA in the NHS to show your commitment and get some relevant experience. www.jobs.nhs.uk
Hi mate Defiently go back to KCL and ask for help with writing up and presenting your CV. There is one way you could have a chance of getting a job with your degree but you may not like it and thats do biomedicine as they need it in the army for blood transfusions ect... but I don't know what the risks are that being that it's the army. Another thing you could do is keep looking for work which I hope you successfully get and keep reapplying for medicine but aim for the lower down medical schools. you may have lost hope but I knew someone that applied for medicine about 3 times and finally got it when he applied for lower down medical schools.

Goodluck mate.

Hint,

look abroad if u want to do biomed as proffession, you are more likely to get a job straightaway but the pay might not be as high as here however.
Reply 13
Original post by liquid394
Hi mate Defiently go back to KCL and ask for help with writing up and presenting your CV. There is one way you could have a chance of getting a job with your degree but you may not like it and thats do biomedicine as they need it in the army for blood transfusions ect... but I don't know what the risks are that being that it's the army. Another thing you could do is keep looking for work which I hope you successfully get and keep reapplying for medicine but aim for the lower down medical schools. you may have lost hope but I knew someone that applied for medicine about 3 times and finally got it when he applied for lower down medical schools.

Goodluck mate.

Hint,

look abroad if u want to do biomed as proffession, you are more likely to get a job straightaway but the pay might not be as high as here however.

Mmmmm...............'lower down medical schools'.........intriguing!
Reply 14
Original post by NHSFan
Why is it a surprise? GEM is much more competitive than the undergraduate course and there are people who are working in relevant areas with similar qualifications, or better than yours, who have not had offers.

I find it a bit odd that you have been applying for finance jobs and grad schemes when you apparently want to do GEM! Are you only interested in medicine because you have been unsuccessful in securing a job in finance?

If you are going to reapply for GEM for 2014, I suggest you consider finding work as a HCA in the NHS to show your commitment and get some relevant experience. www.jobs.nhs.uk

Absolutely not.

My primary concern has always been medicine. However, I was told about these grad schemes by a friend, and I figured it's good to have a backup.

I too would prefer to get a job in the NHS. I've sent over 50 applications using the above website, including as a HCA. Don't seem to hear back though. Not sure why - I have a good deal of work experience in a hospital and a care home. Perhaps I can send one of you my CV and covering letter (for NHS Jobs) for a quick review? I would greatly appreciate any tips and pointers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by oz40
Sounds like a good idea.

I applied to several grad schemes, albeit unsuccessfully. Finding an actual job seems more difficult however. I've had interviews with PWC, Ernst and Young and another finance firm. As for the 50 jobs that I have applied to, have had a single interview. So while I look for employment, I think I will probably attempt to apply as many graduate schemes as I possibly can for 2014 entry.

Did you fail the competency interviews for PwC and EY? If so, this explains why you haven't got a job. Their questions are competency based and want you to demonstrate several soft skills such as honesty and integrity, team work, team building, leadership, organisational skills etc. To me this shouts out that you haven't done enough whilst at university and college. You haven't got enough examples to answer their ten or so questions.

Furthermore, you seem to just say 'finance'. What in finance? They most likely asked you why you applied to the specific service line (be it, tax, audit or consulting), to which you had no response. I also believe they probably tested your commercial awareness to which you had no answer.

Go and gain some soft skills, keep reapplying and hope for something next year in 2014.

Of course, if it was a final round interview, then you've got serious problems as the partner didn't like your appearance or personality, but I doubt you did get a final round one as you would most likely have been offered a position.
Original post by letitia
There are hardly any jobs out there! My partner can't find a job and he has a first, a masters and his PhD and he's struggling. Get your CV looked at properly. I can't offer any more advice than that, just keep your chin up and carry on getting experience!

Is it possible that your boyfriend is making too much of his qualifications and not concentrating enough on flaunting his skills? He might have a PhD, but does he actually have any skills that are relevant to the workplace? I'm not saying that you and your boyfriend are necessarily these people, but it does amuse me when people bitch about being rejected from Costa when they have a Masters or PhD - who's Costa gonna hire: someone who's worked as a barista before and knows their lattes from their flat whites or someone who's worked in academia for however long?
Reply 17
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
Is it possible that your boyfriend is making too much of his qualifications and not concentrating enough on flaunting his skills? He might have a PhD, but does he actually have any skills that are relevant to the workplace? I'm not saying that you and your boyfriend are necessarily these people, but it does amuse me when people bitch about being rejected from Costa when they have a Masters or PhD - who's Costa gonna hire: someone who's worked as a barista before and knows their lattes from their flat whites or someone who's worked in academia for however long?

Well to my knowledge he's only applied to jobs in the law field in which he's been studying. I presumed the OP is looking for relevant jobs to his degree? I have no qualms about my qualifications... they're ****, and it still took me 8 months to find a job of any sorts.

Just meant with my comment that jobs are scarce across the board :smile: regardless of level of education or where it is you're looking for them.

Also the OH is pretty shy about his achievements, which might be where he's going wrong admittedly. for him he needs to get articles and research published if he wants to get a fellowship which he's working on...
Reply 18
Original post by Makebelieve15
Did you fail the competency interviews for PwC and EY? If so, this explains why you haven't got a job. Their questions are competency based and want you to demonstrate several soft skills such as honesty and integrity, team work, team building, leadership, organisational skills etc. To me this shouts out that you haven't done enough whilst at university and college. You haven't got enough examples to answer their ten or so questions.

Furthermore, you seem to just say 'finance'. What in finance? They most likely asked you why you applied to the specific service line (be it, tax, audit or consulting), to which you had no response. I also believe they probably tested your commercial awareness to which you had no answer.

Go and gain some soft skills, keep reapplying and hope for something next year in 2014.

Of course, if it was a final round interview, then you've got serious problems as the partner didn't like your appearance or personality, but I doubt you did get a final round one as you would most likely have been offered a position.

Was a student mentor, played in the football team, senior member of the biomed society (where I arranged revision sessions and taught others during exam times), captain of a 5 a side footy team, organised a few charities (e.g. Syria, Horn of Africa, Children with leukemia). Also undertook a bookkeeping role during my studies for a dairy company. And I have spent a lot of time tutoring others.

Commercial awareness is 'easy' to prepare for, especially if you spend a few hours reading the Financial Times, Accountancy Age and BBC News.

Nevermind the graduate schemes - finding a normal job seems to be extremely difficult. I have a generic cover letter which encompasses what I have done during university and the skills that I have obtained from these roles. I use this as a template for every job that I apply to.

Or am I looking in the wrong places? Is applying solely through the internet a bad idea? Or should I go to the firms and hand my CV in person?

I'm not trying to be a 'debbie downer' or someone who is looking for sympathy. However, I'm simply left puzzled as to what I have to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by oz40

What do you mean "much to my surprise"? No wonder you don't have a job.

Graduate medicine is harder to get into than "normal" undergraduate medicine at the age of 17/18.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending