The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cybele
Tap water is fine and safe. I get kind of annoyed when people turn their nose up at it, not many countries have drinkable tap water. It tastes nice to me. :dontknow:

Agreed. We don't know how lucky we are.
It tastes like liquefied paper.

Though...at least we've got something to drink
Reply 22

Not even a joke, some people take things for granted so much that it makes me sick. That chlorine is the only thing between you and a very ****ty death by dysentry.
Reply 23
Original post by PythianLegume
I'm always skeptical of people saying they can taste chlorine in tap water. Like those people who can tell the difference between normal and diet coke. Maybe I just have insensitive taste buds.

There's definitely a difference in taste betwixt diet coke and normal coke. I can even taste the difference between normal coke and coke zero because I have a magic tongue.
...meanwhile in Africa......
Reply 25
they do add some stuff to it like flourine for our teeth, but it is safe to drink, i have never tasted bottled water so don't know what it would be like, does it have a taste?
I sometimes pretend tap water tastes like the strawberry volvic water, it's more fun drinking it :tongue:
Reply 27
Then drink something like Evian - Naive :tongue:

That said, I don't drink tap water either, and opt for bottled.

Or, go boil water, and then put it in the fridge. Most of the bad chemicals (if any are left) are gone.

Coke and diet coke taste completely different, as does pepsi and coke, and diet coke and pepsi max.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Llewellyn_J
People live healthily for 80+ years while getting their water supply from the taps, I doubt it's that bad.

Do some research.
Original post by tonberry
Do some research.

Open your eyes.
Tap water is good. I remember going abroad to my home country and I had to drink salty/bitter water for the first day till we could order normal water...
Reply 31
For those convinced bottled water is pure

"“People think there must be something wrong with tap water because it is so cheap and plentiful. But from a safety and price perspective, tap water is better for you"

The tap water in the UK is filtered and treated to strict standards, it is fine to drink. Why would you pay for something you can get on tap?

Edit: And another

"30% of bottled water sold in UK supermarkets is reprocessed tap water"

"one cannot assume on faith, simply because one is buying water in a bottle, that the water is of any higher chemical quality than tap water"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by peter12345

Not even a joke, some people take things for granted so much that it makes me sick. That chlorine is the only thing between you and a very ****ty death by dysentry.

I think I'd rather have dysentery than drink the stuff that comes out the tap.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS

Will boiling water and then cooling it get rid of the taste as well?

Don't you learn this in basic chemistry? Boiling water will only kill bacteria and microbes. Which is good if you live in africa... but we don't and any bacteria growth in our water supplies is tightly controlled, hence why we put chlorine and fluorine and all the other stuff in.

When you reduce the amount of water by boiling it, this will only increase the concentration of minerals and metals as your only removing water. Therefore if you boil water you only make the taste stronger. The Cameleford water incident is a great example of this common misperception.

The only reason why cold water has less of a taste is because of the way our taste buds work. The hotter food is the easier it is to taste, hence why cold sandwiches taste of nothing and why we eat alot of food hot. Therefore the colder something is the weaker the taste, it sort of makes no sense why we chill drinks and the like.
Reply 34
Original post by Izzyeviel
I think I'd rather have dysentery than drink the stuff that comes out the tap.

Easy to say these things from the comfort of your 21st century first world home.
All UK tap water undergoes very rigorous testing and is very heavily regulated. As a result it is actually safer to drink than bottled water. Having drunk London tap water which has been through our own water softener all my life, it's noticeable when I go far enough away that the water has a slightly different and more metallic taste.
Original post by peter12345
Easy to say these things from the comfort of your 21st century first world home.

When you fill the sink and you can't see the bottom - that's not drinking water you can trust. No matter where I've lived in London, the water has always been cloudy.
Original post by Izzyeviel
When you fill the sink and you can't see the bottom - that's not drinking water you can trust. No matter where I've lived in London, the water has always been cloudy.

It's cloudy because air is dissolved in the water when it is cold and pressurised (in the pipes). The air comes out of the solution as bubbles when the pressure changes (when it leaves the tap) and the water often remains cloudy for a few minutes until all the bubbles have risen to the surface. There's definitely nothing wrong with the tap water in London.
Original post by Cybele
Tap water is fine and safe. I get kind of annoyed when people turn their nose up at it, not many countries have drinkable tap water. It tastes nice to me. :dontknow:

How fortunate are we? Tap water is considered 'ass water' in the first world.
Reply 39
I thoroughly enjoy tap water.

But then, I live in Zürich.

Latest