The Student Room Group

How does everyone feel about Michael Gove's A-level reform policy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic

Let's be honest, that's not what really happens. You learn for a January exam, and then forget it, then go over it again for the summer exams.

Lol, lateral thinking. In today's exams? No.

But it's more likely to stick, no? You're advocating a return to a system which was even worse at promoting learning...
Reply 41
Original post by paradoxicalme
Gove wants to return to a two-tier system that will screw over a decent amount of the population at the age of 14! Academic qualifications will still be just as highly valued, just fewer people will be getting them. Which equals higher unemployment, and equals people who are smart but can't do exams getting royally fwcked.

Too be fair if 90% get a pass then what is the point in the exam, there is no way of employers to separate the good from the average.The issue is that academic qualifications WILL be more highly valued, it does not mean there will be more high unemployment.
Original post by Barden
But it's more likely to stick, no? You're advocating a return to a system which was even worse at promoting learning...

I'm advocating neither systems, but you cannot suggest that this system is perfect at the moment. :lolwut:
Original post by Barden

There's a flipside to your argument. For science subjects, modules are segregated by subject area rather than tiers of understanding, so the matter of fact is that the stuff you learn for a January module will not be required for a June module and so you will forget it anyway. Besides that it's also about the thinking skills you gain, and it is much harder to lose those. If you require any specific knowledge later it's very easy to relearn thanks to those skills you gained having done an exam on them.
Original post by Idle
Too be fair if 90% get a pass then what is the point in the exam, there is no way of employers to separate the good from the average.The issue is that academic qualifications WILL be more highly valued, it does not mean there will be more high unemployment.

That's not the situation, though. As much as papers would like to imply otherwise, the most common grade achieved at GCSE is a C/D, and people getting straight As/A*s are a minority. Same for A level.
That's not the situation, though. As much as papers would like to imply otherwise, the most common grade achieved at GCSE is a C/D, and people getting straight As/A*s are a minority. Same for A level.

So? The GCSE doesn't discriminate between those at the top end.
As an AS student, I am so angry that there won't be any jan exams, that means no retakes of this June, and if I don't do well next June, I have no second chance!
we need to stop this nonsense , the question is.... HOW??!!
any ideas on what WE could do to stop this bastard and organize the return of jan exams???
ANY ideas PLEASE...
desperate situation here!
So? The GCSE doesn't discriminate between those at the top end.

The top end is a minority. Hence the term 'end.'

The smartest people will still do well with harder exams. But Gove's reforms are screwing over the ones in the middle.
Original post by Future-doc
As an AS student, I am so angry that there won't be any jan exams, that means no retakes of this June, and if I don't do well next June, I have no second chance!
any ideas on what WE could do to stop this bastard and organize the return of jan exams???
ANY ideas PLEASE...

You could try revising really hard for the June exams and get good grades. Also, just calm down about having 'no second chance' and exams in general, as long as you are calm your performance will be consistent.
Original post by Unkempt_One
You could try revising really hard for the June exams and get good grades. Also, just calm down about having 'no second chance' and exams in general, as long as you are calm your performance will be consistent.

ClearLy your past the a level stage and are unaffected by the change
ClearLy your past the a level stage and are unaffected by the change

I'm just trying to give you some advice. I never thought about resits because I wanted to do well the first time. Also, all of my first year exams were in June because it was my school's policy to not have an exam season only several months after you first enter sixth form.
I actually don't see the issue. Exams used to be based on an end-of-year exam.

What year are you in? :confused:
But then your worse off, you get a big shock in June.
we have In jan, then in June you can chose to retake, once you already know what an a level is like, so u have another chance
But then your worse off, you get a big shock in June.
we have In jan, then in June you can chose to retake, once you already know what an a level is like, so u have another chance

We had plenty of mock exams and stuff to get us used to it beforehand. My school knew what it was doing.
ANY ideas PLEASE...

So do well this June then.

The top end is a minority. Hence the term 'end.'

The smartest people will still do well with harder exams. But Gove's reforms are screwing over the ones in the middle.

Why should the exam system pander to the middle?
Original post by Unkempt_One
We had plenty of mock exams and stuff to get us used to it beforehand. My school knew what it was doing.

Each to their own ten!
Hope u didn't think I was being offensive or dissing!
totally not my intentions!
Original post by Theoneoranro
He's an absolute muppet. Britain has (or had before the conservatives came in) one of the best education systems in the world. For some reason this idiot is putting us back centuries and ruining everyone's hard work. He makes my blood boil.

:ditto: Basically this, he's an idiot. He's out of touch, and doesn't look at facts, he just looks at what his perfect ideology would be

Why should the exam system pander to the middle?

It shouldn't, but it shouldn't screw them over either. Most people are in the middle - that's why it's the middle. Shafting them is suicide.
Reply 58
Original post by ThatPerson
Michael Gove is an idiot.

Unfortunately this too is far from the truth. He was a journalist prior to political life. Some avenues of thought wonder if he tried to be a teacher but was turned down, and that is why he seems to HATE all that is good in education. It is because he is not an idiot that he is so dangerous to the future of our country.
Original post by Idle

That would be why they use grades........

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

Overall 7.9% got an A* last year. That should help to differentiate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending