The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

All over, Ferrer might be kicking himself about the poor decision he made at match point now
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 541
Heartbreaker for Ferrer, both players are spent.
How many breaks of serve were there in total?
15 breaks of serve lol.

8 to Ferrer; 7 to Murray
Reply 543
Hah, is Andy looking for his watch again?
Get in Murray!!!!!
Disappointed for Ferrer - after he broke back I vacillated from Murray to him on who I wanted to win. The match had some great points but overall the quality on serve holds was poor and the final set was all over the place with neither really taking the initiative.

For Ferrer I think it was a case of missed opportunity since he'll get few more chances like this to win another Masters, and for him Murray is the one he has a greatest chance against.
Original post by Krish4791
15 breaks of serve lol.

8 to Ferrer; 7 to Murray

WTA standard :tongue: Of course minus Serena or WTA players who can hold serve.
Original post by Sirocco11
Disappointed for Ferrer - after he broke back I vacillated from Murray to him on who I wanted to win. The match had some great points but overall the quality on serve holds was poor and the final set was all over the place with neither really taking the initiative.

For Ferrer I think it was a case of missed opportunity since he'll get few more chances like this to win another Masters, and for him Murray is the one he has a greatest chance against.

The match was pretty awful tbh, I feel like I've wasted time watching it when I could have instead been training for my own match tomorrow. Murray just about managed to outlast Ferrer on this occasion - and the fact that this was a hardcourt helped him
WTA standard :tongue: Of course minus Serena or WTA players who can hold serve.

Haha - gotta love WTA :biggrin: It's amazing how many 6-0 sets there are as well in women's matches. When someone loses it, boy do they lose it.
The match was pretty awful tbh, I feel like I've wasted time watching it when I could have instead been training for my own match tomorrow. Murray just about managed to outlast Ferrer on this occasion - and the fact that this was a hardcourt helped him

I wouldn't say it was awful. It's not all about top quality tennis. I thought it was compelling viewing despite the lack of top quality tennis.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I wouldn't say it was awful. It's not all about top quality tennis. I thought it was compelling viewing despite the lack of top quality tennis.

It was certainly not the brand of tennis that we've been spoilt with in the past - the only thing that kept me watching was the tension towards the end really.
Reply 551
It was certainly not the brand of tennis that we've been spoilt with in the past - the only thing that kept me watching was the tension towards the end really.

I guess the court is partly to blame for that.
The match was pretty awful tbh, I feel like I've wasted time watching it when I could have instead been training for my own match tomorrow.

Ah cool, is it a casual or competitive match? I played the last two days, just practice and I'm practicing tomorrow as well - occasionally enter LTA matchplay tournaments with the intention of building my ranking up. Not got very far however due to recovery from a shin splint the past 2 months, but would recommend getting involved with that if you aren't already. :smile:
Original post by Prendah
I guess the court is partly to blame for that.

Do you mean in terms of slowness? I'm not usually bothered by how slow some of the hard courts are but Miami looks like it plays ridiculously slowly and it takes ages for anyone to hit a winner.
Reply 554
Oh well the only good thing about this is that the women finalists are getting paid more than the men and rightly so. For all those that harp on about equal pay based on quality of play etc ATP is not that invincible is it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ah cool, is it a casual or competitive match? I played the last two days, just practice and I'm practicing tomorrow as well - occasionally enter LTA matchplay tournaments with the intention of building my ranking up. Not got very far however due to recovery from a shin splint the past 2 months, but would recommend getting involved with that if you aren't already. :smile:

It's competitive but not LTA-affiliated unfortunately, although the cluc centre where I train does have that option open. Will seriously consider getting involved with that - thanks for mentioning it! :biggrin:
Original post by Skkc16
Oh well the only good thing about this is that the women finalists are getting paid more than the men and rightly so. For all those that harp on about equal pay based on quality of play etc ATP is not that invincible is it?

One popular argument is that the ATP finals draw in many more viewers, especially if the match is between 2 members of the Big 4. Unlike WTA though, the gulf between the top few and the rest is not so large, so you end up with longer, more competitive games (not least in terms of the scorelines) unlike the 6-0 beatdowns that Sharapova, Azarenka and Serena love to administer.
I personally have no problem with the pay thing, but if it's that big a deal, is it not about time women started playing best of 5 sets in Grand Slams?
Reply 557
One popular argument is that the ATP finals draw in many more viewers, especially if the match is between 2 members of the Big 4. Unlike WTA though, the gulf between the top few and the rest is not so large, so you end up with longer, more competitive games (not least in terms of the scorelines) unlike the 6-0 beatdowns that Sharapova, Azarenka and Serena love to administer.
I personally have no problem with the pay thing, but if it's that big a deal, is it not about time women started playing best of 5 sets in Grand Slams?

I wasn't trying to get into this argument because I find it quite boring but I'll just respond to your bottom question. Do you really think the quality of tennis would be great if women played 5 sets?
Not being sexist but men's bodies are just better suited for 5 sets and women 3 sets. When women play 3 sets they push their bodies just as hard as men do in 5 sets. Don't know how else to explain it :smile:

Original post by Skkc16
I wasn't trying to get into this argument because I find it quite boring but I'll just respond to your bottom question. Do you really think the quality of tennis would be great if women played 5 sets?
Not being sexist but men's bodies are just better suited for 5 sets and women 3 sets. When women play 3 sets they push their bodies just as hard as men do in 5 sets. Don't know how else to explain it :smile:

Ok cool - I think we'll leave it at that! :smile:
is it not about time women started playing best of 5 sets in Grand Slams?

Please, God no! Lol. Can you imagine? ZzZZz

Latest