The Student Room Group

Lifting weights instead of cardio?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 21
Original post by DSCF0911.JPG
As basically everyone has already mentioned, there's no real need for cardio for weight loss, but if you want a healthy heart... :P

Just rotate major muscle groups and aim for DOMS (a lot of people contest the fact that DOMS necessarily means a good work out, but it definitely is a sign to go by)

If you get DOMS you need to fire whoever made your routine and get on a proper routine.
OP, eat at maintenance calories, maybe slightly over. Start a full body routine 3x a week, the sports you play are enough cardio (not that you need any to lose weight).
Original post by Sylosis
If you get DOMS you need to fire whoever made your routine and get on a proper routine.
OP, eat at maintenance calories, maybe slightly over. Start a full body routine 3x a week, the sports you play are enough cardio (not that you need any to lose weight).

Welcome Jason Blaha! :wink:

I couldn't be bothered to get involved in the DOMS debate but if you have been training regularly and get proper DOMS -- you know that serious, debilitating soreness and aches that just won't let you move freely -- then your routine is messed up. No professional or amateur would get anywhere if they got regular DOMs. It's just silly. It hinders progress.
Reply 23
Original post by silent ninja

I couldn't be bothered to get involved in the DOMS debate but if you have been training regularly and get proper DOMS -- you know that serious, debilitating soreness and aches that just won't let you move freely -- then your routine is messed up. No professional or amateur would get anywhere if they got regular DOMs. It's just silly. It hinders progress.

I don't agree, DOMS is pretty bad the first few times, but then you almost gain resistance, recovering faster, and that allows you to work harder and still recover from it.
Original post by Hypocrism
I don't agree, DOMS is pretty bad the first few times, but then you almost gain resistance, recovering faster, and that allows you to work harder and still recover from it.

So you agree then? It's not DOMs if you recover so fast that you don't get DOMs. huh? :confused:
Reply 25
So you agree then? It's not DOMs if you recover so fast that you don't get DOMs. huh? :confused:

No, I mean that avoiding DOMS purposefully restricts your training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I mean that avoiding DOMS purposefully restricts your training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't get DOMs if you have a good program.
Reply 27

you would when your a newbie, after a while your body gets used to removing the waste from your muscles faster so you wont get the pains, has nothing to do with the program mate.
Reply 28

Knew I'd get caught out one day... lol
Good to see people preaching the truth on TSR. Majority of people posting info on here are worse than the kids back on the teenbodybuilding forums lol.
Reply 29
Original post by fuze-mo25
you would when your a newbie, after a while your body gets used to removing the waste from your muscles faster so you wont get the pains, has nothing to do with the program mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkMUxuopjK4

This will clear up any confusion- also this channel is a go to for anything you need to know, seriously recommend checking it out.
Reply 30
Original post by Sylosis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkMUxuopjK4

This will clear up any confusion- also this channel is a go to for anything you need to know, seriously recommend checking it out.

yh i checked out the video and thats what i was saying. i said only newbies get it and jason said you should only get it when adapting to training.
And yh jason is knowledgeable and i watch some of his vids, prefer elliott hulse tho but they both know there stuff
Reply 31
I wouldn't go as far as saying you shouldn't do any cardio for weight loss. Cardio keeps those fat burning pathways open, not to mention a healthy cardiovasulcar system which is arguably more important than being 'slim' anyway. But we live in a superficial society and people are generally stupid anyway, so yeah, do whatever...

I love my cardio and I want those sexy fat burning pathways stay open :sexface:

:biggrin:
Original post by Sylosis

Read my previous posts which have explained the reasoning and backed it up.
Reply 33
Original post by DSCF0911.JPG
Read my previous posts which have explained the reasoning and backed it up.

are you trolling?... I can't seriously can't tell
Reply 34

If you only ever workout up to the point where you will get DOMS, you are restricting your training because someone who got DOMS before and got used to getting rid of it will be able to train harder. Ultimately you want to push yourself to DOMS occasionally, for certain aims at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
If you only ever workout up to the point where you will get DOMS, you are restricting your training because someone who got DOMS before and got used to getting rid of it will be able to train harder. Ultimately you want to push yourself to DOMS occasionally, for certain aims at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't make sense of this post
Reply 36
Original post by Sylosis
I can't make sense of this post

Are you being serious? It's not that difficult..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by USRaphael
So I'm overweight and want to lose weight, the thing is I hate cardio its boring. I can row for 20mins max and maybe 15more on the bike five times a week which I know isn't enough to lose serious weight (I'm eating healthily too and playing basketball and hockey three times a week). If I do this and weight lifting four times a week is it likely that I can lose weight despite spending more time lifting than cardio? I want to lose about 30lbs by August. To what extent does lifting help with weight loss?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, I googled and found lifting helps burn more calories but I was wondering is it sufficient to lose quite a bit of weight without doing loads of cardio too?

Thanks for any help! :smile:

I would disagree with most people in this thread. For a start, muscle ways more than fat. So if you are turning a lot of fat into muscle then you will inevitably gain weight. Also, weights just builds muscle UNDERNEATH the fat. The cardio burns the fat and then lets the muscle appear. The ideal solution is to do both. If you can only do 20 mins rowing, the next day push yourself to do 21 minutes and build it from there! It is baby steps and dedication that makes this process!
Reply 38
Are you being serious? It's not that difficult..

Posted from TSR Mobile

soreness is a result of some kind of injury, or that you are not adapted to the type of training you're doing
so again, why would you ever 'aim' to get doms?
Reply 39
Original post by Sylosis
soreness is a result of some kind of injury, or that you are not adapted to the type of training you're doing
so again, why would you ever 'aim' to get doms?

The idea is that after you gain resistance to DOMS, ie you recover quickly or need a higher training load to get DOMS, you can train more without having long DOMS recovery periods. So you occasionally train past DOMS threshold to raise that threshold, and so allow yourself a higher training load in the future, since you can train more without getting DOMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply