The Student Room Group

Simple Proof

I'm asked to prove that:

For any natural numbers a, b, c with c greater than or equal to 2, there is a natural number n such that an^2 + bn + c is not a prime.

I feel like my approach should be to let x be non-prime such that an^2 + bn + c = x. Then to show there is a solution n, in the natural numbers to an^2 + bn + (c - x) = 0, whilst somehow making use of the fact x can be wrote as the product of prime factors? Not sure where to get stuck in though..
Reply 1
Seems like quite a tricky gcse question
Original post by marcus2001
I'm asked to prove that:

For any natural numbers a, b, c with c greater than or equal to 2, there is a natural number n such that an^2 + bn + c is not a prime.

I feel like my approach should be to let x be non-prime such that an^2 + bn + c = x. Then to show there is a solution n, in the natural numbers to an^2 + bn + (c - x) = 0, whilst somehow making use of the fact x can be wrote as the product of prime factors? Not sure where to get stuck in though..

hey you can solve this by proof by contradiction. best thing to assume is that there are natural numbers , a, b ,c greater and equal to 2 , such that an^2 + bn + c is a prime.

However if we take a=b=c=2 we have , 2n^2+2n+2=2(n^2+n+1) which is a contradiction ( as 2 being factor means it not a prime, remember a prime only has factor 1 and the number itself). hence we have proved your result

NB:a for stuff like this do proof by contraction - assume the thing is true and give a counterexample. Hence the opposite must hold
Reply 3
Proof by contradiction would be a good way to do this, suppose that there does not exist a natural number nn such that an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c is not a prime. Then, only 11 and an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c divides an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c

However, since c2c \geq 2 the number an2+bn+c>2an^2 + bn + c > 2 so it would be enough to show that there exists an nn such that 22 divides an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c - which is a contradiction.
Reply 4
Original post by Namige
Seems like quite a tricky gcse question

Then why don't you help instead of uselessly posting that?
Original post by Noble.
Proof by contradiction would be a good way to do this, suppose that there does not exist a natural number nn such that an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c is not a prime. Then, only 11 and an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c divides an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c

However, since c2c \geq 2 the number an2+bn+c>2an^2 + bn + c > 2 so it would be enough to show that there exists an nn such that 22 divides an2+bn+can^2 + bn + c - which is a contradiction.

how would i find the n? i swear we use a.b.c for this?
Reply 6
ermm am i being a bit thick ? all you have to do is let n = c
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
ermm am i being a bit thick ? all you have to do is let n = c

LOL you're right! It should've been obvious from the fact c2c \geq 2 but typically I overcomplicated it.
Reply 8
Original post by falcon pluse
how would i find the n? i swear we use a.b.c for this?

Look at what 'the bear' posted, that's one way to answer this question in one line :lol:
Reply 9
Just proceed by noting that if we take n=c then,

an^2 + bn + c = c(ac+b+1)

which is clearly not prime since divisible by c.
Reply 10
Original post by Rooinek
Just proceed by noting that if we take n=c then,

an^2 + bn + c = c(ac+b+1)

which is clearly not prime since divisible by c.

Someone has already pointed this out, there's no need to bump a 9 hour old thread if you're just going to repeat what has already been said.

Quick Reply

Latest