The Student Room Group

I just cant make myself work

I know i need to work and I really want to get good grades but i just can't make myself work. Unconsciously the first thing that comes to mind is the complete opposite of work. I will just go and play battlefield 3 instead of revising like i should.

Then of course I feel guilty about it and tell myself I should be studying which upsets me. However the force is still strong in me and I continue to play/procrastinate. Alas the end of the day approaches where I reflect upon how useless my day has been and how this lifestyle will be the end of me. I assure myself that time is in vast quantities and I shall work hard tomorrow!

I fail to wake up early like I planned to but no matter, I still have time. I bathe, eat and feel refreshed ready to start hardcore revision. Biology, Physics and Chemistry, which subject will be the first to be defeated? I look for my pen and find the cover of battlefield 3.
Several hours later I am met with the consequences of my time spent gaming.

And so i feel guilty and tell myself to work (I know how important it is and I know i want to get good grades) but it never happens.

This is how bored I am, instead of working i'm on TSR forming an entertaining but depressing story of my life.
I'm on ABB atm and have offers.. I want 3 A's and at this rate it's not going to happen.

TLDR:
There is nothing worse in my life than to do revision... Is there anyone who has been in my position and actually found a way to spend a lot of time working?
get a motivation poster up right where you can see it. maybe above your video games!

i have a motivation wall - it includes the university i want to go to, my best friends and boyfriend and boyfriend's family. i cant be motivated without it HENCE MOTIVATION WALL :P

put it where you can clearly see.

by your bed, put a timetable. now i know it doesnt always work the time constraints. i do have one of those time-constraints timetables but i actually dont use it... instead i look at the table of stuff i have to do before the exam and i make sure i do at least 2. THEN AT THE END OF THE DAY I CAN TICK IT OFF. (i can give you an example of one of these as it has separate columns)
Reply 2
Original post by megfashion
get a motivation poster up right where you can see it. maybe above your video games!

i have a motivation wall - it includes the university i want to go to, my best friends and boyfriend and boyfriend's family. i cant be motivated without it HENCE MOTIVATION WALL :P

put it where you can clearly see.

by your bed, put a timetable. now i know it doesnt always work the time constraints. i do have one of those time-constraints timetables but i actually dont use it... instead i look at the table of stuff i have to do before the exam and i make sure i do at least 2. THEN AT THE END OF THE DAY I CAN TICK IT OFF. (i can give you an example of one of these as it has separate columns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhFH7jpq2c

haha trust me i do. i am/was an avid minecraft player, i go on studentroom alot, i spend most my time texting people and hanging out and with the boyfriend when he is here.

its very hard to pull away from it but you need to remember you dont have to sit down at the computer ALL the time. games can still be played as a reward after 45 odd minutes :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ignorant
I know i need to work and I really want to get good grades but i just can't make myself work. Unconsciously the first thing that comes to mind is the complete opposite of work. I will just go and play battlefield 3 instead of revising like i should.

Then of course I feel guilty about it and tell myself I should be studying which upsets me. However the force is still strong in me and I continue to play/procrastinate. Alas the end of the day approaches where I reflect upon how useless my day has been and how this lifestyle will be the end of me. I assure myself that time is in vast quantities and I shall work hard tomorrow!

I fail to wake up early like I planned to but no matter, I still have time. I bathe, eat and feel refreshed ready to start hardcore revision. Biology, Physics and Chemistry, which subject will be the first to be defeated? I look for my pen and find the cover of battlefield 3.
Several hours later I am met with the consequences of my time spent gaming.

And so i feel guilty and tell myself to work (I know how important it is and I know i want to get good grades) but it never happens.

This is how bored I am, instead of working i'm on TSR forming an entertaining but depressing story of my life.
I'm on ABB atm and have offers.. I want 3 A's and at this rate it's not going to happen.

TLDR:
There is nothing worse in my life than to do revision... Is there anyone who has been in my position and actually found a way to spend a lot of time working?

Get yourself a whiteboard from staples for £20.
Then draw a table of every week, and the list the things you need to revise for each day.
After it's complete just tick the box/day.

I'm studying Law at University, and it's one of the ways I use to get me through the day!
Reply 5
i have been having the same problem..you need to know what is the best time for you to study, i am a night person cos i like the peace and quiet so i can concentrate..you should also get your work organised, whenever you think of studying there should be a plan in your head you'll probably find it easier to play battlefield when you've got unorganized piles of notes in front of you..have a time table and set the last 1-2hrs for your game.that way there'll be something to look forward to when studying
Reply 6
haha trust me i do. i am/was an avid minecraft player, i go on studentroom alot, i spend most my time texting people and hanging out and with the boyfriend when he is here.

its very hard to pull away from it but you need to remember you dont have to sit down at the computer ALL the time. games can still be played as a reward after 45 odd minutes :smile:

I shall use your advice and see if it gives me results. I thank you for your valiant efforts in trying to make me a productive man. I shall not let you down megfashion!

Dat moment when you realise there isn't many things that motivate me apart from bodybuilding. The one thing i do well at is working out regularly, for some reason that's something I can make myself do!
Original post by Ignorant
I shall use your advice and see if it gives me results. I thank you for your valiant efforts in trying to make me a productive man. I shall not let you down megfashion!

Dat moment when you realise there isn't many things that motivate me apart from bodybuilding. The one thing i do well at is working out regularly, for some reason that's something I can make myself do!

then put a bodybuilding poster up! you have to look at that wall n think 'yer this is why im working!!'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
then put a bodybuilding poster up! you have to look at that wall n think 'yer this is why im working!!'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeeeeah im getting pumped!
Its late now though.. :P

Quick Reply