The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
actually didnt realsie there was an episode ill my mate texted me saying it was good; normally thered be a big advert for it on it on the front of the BBC News website (instead there was one for the Voice lol) found the episode a bit flat tbh; competent but nohing fancy for a mid -season return. what i find intriguing most about clara is the lack of any 'add-ons' ; Rose had Mickey and Jackie, Donna had her Mom (and admidttly awesome Dad) , Martha had her mom, Amy had Rory. Clara seems to be on her own. I had heard they wanted to keep the little Scooby Gang he had in the Christmas Special as a support team, which would be interesting. At the very least no annoying moms nagging them and causing near-end-of-the-world actions which is one thign I liked about Amy
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Oh dear god I hope not - I seriously hoped the end of season 4 would be it for Rose, given she got dragged back into it then. Move on - the ending there was just brilliant, great way to end connections with her for. good.

The producers have told us this about the 50th anniversary special:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Watch Key Phone

Spoiler

Spoilers
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Spoilers

Sorry - it's been released publicly though? In mainstream media etc
Reply 184
Spoilers

Wasn't that on the front page of the BBC news site earlier? XD They've moved it away now, but still on the entertainment/arts top stories.
Sorry - it's been released publicly though? In mainstream media etc

Original post by Hopple
Wasn't that on the front page of the BBC news site earlier? XD They've moved it away now, but still on the entertainment/arts top stories.

Yep but some people still don't want spoilers. Just like the names of the future episodes have been released but I still try and avoid finding out. As it says in the OP news about ANY future episode should be in spoiler tags.
Yep but some people still don't want spoilers. Just like the names of the future episodes have been released but I still try and avoid finding out. As it says in the OP news about ANY future episode should be in spoiler tags.

Fair enough. :yep: Would it be OK for me to put something like "this information has been released by the producers" outside of the spoiler tag? For me that seems like an important distinction - whether the information has been released intentionally or has got out through some other means.
Fair enough. :yep: Would it be OK for me to put something like "this information has been released by the producers" outside of the spoiler tag? For me that seems like an important distinction - whether the information has been released intentionally or has got out through some other means.

Yep, no problems with that at all :yep: you can even put that it relates to 50th anniversary etc.
Reply 188
One bit I didn't understand was when Clara said she went to live with that family before she went off travelling, and then 'she' died, so Clara stayed to 'return the favour'. Who's 'she'? And what was the favour? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense... :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by ameritus
One bit I didn't understand was when Clara said she went to live with that family before she went off travelling, and then 'she' died, so Clara stayed to 'return the favour'. Who's 'she'? And what was the favour? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense... :smile:

She was staying with the family, and then the mum of the family died, so she stayed to help look after the kids I think. To return the favour because they were letting her stay for a bit I guess?
Reply 190
Original post by Politics Student
Martha was Rose MK2.

Another character who fall in love with the doctor and by this point I was wishing for both Martha and Rose to go the same way as Adric. The new doctor who series is a rather mixed bag to be honest. There are some wonderful episodes and some unwatchable episodes (love and monsters for example). I personally enjoy Moffat's writing for Doctor Who and I was getting pissed off with Russel T Davis who seemed to believe foreshadowing words like 'torch wood' or 'bad wolf' was a story arch.

To be perfectly honest this seems to be an issue with all female characters in the new series where they all seem to be one step away from humping the doctor's leg. (Amy was also bad at the start)

On the bright side Amy got better... Then Rory became a companion and the dynamic changed.

My main concern is Clara will be written the same way, but I am currently enjoying the episodes she is in. It is still too early to tell.

Ah yes, Amy was also infatuated with the Doctor. I personally, don't think that's too good a move especially after Rose. I do get what you're saying.
Reply 191
Original post by chernid
I think in some cases that Martha was a good character. However, Freema Agyeman is quite a bad actress, and her emotions in it were shown dreadfully.

exactly! I hated Freema Agyeman. I've just seen her in this Carrie Dairies thing and she's also awful, the show is awful too.
Reply 192
Original post by snowyowl
The thing I disliked about Martha, and most of the New Who assistants is the fact that they all seem to fall in love with him. This is why I was so fond of Donna - she had none of that "unrequited love for the Doctor" crap and just got on with it.

Having said that, my absolute favourite series finale has to be Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.

Yes, certain episodes of the Doctor and Martha were brilliant. I hated her in them, thank God they had Jack Harness.
Reply 193
Personally I think Donna was the best companion because she wasn't in love with the Doctor. I hope Clara won't be although it'd be interesting to see how River reacts to her.
Original post by Dalek1099

Spoiler

On another note, great first episode and

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Mamataj
exactly! I hated Freema Agyeman. I've just seen her in this Carrie Dairies thing and she's also awful, the show is awful too.

Original post by Mamataj
Yes, certain episodes of the Doctor and Martha were brilliant. I hated her in them, thank God they had Jack Harness.

I really liked Martha! And the earlier episodes from that series are some of my favourite.
I don't know, maybe it's just because I understand/empathise with the position of loving someone who doesn't love you back sort of thing.
She was also great in the Torchwood episodes of series 2. Did anyone see them?
Original post by redmoonrabbit
I really liked Martha! And the earlier episodes from that series are some of my favourite.
I don't know, maybe it's just because I understand/empathise with the position of loving someone who doesn't love you back sort of thing.
She was also great in the Torchwood episodes of series 2. Did anyone see them?

I agree.... And not because of the unrequited love thing either. I liked her character. I don't think she was/is a bad actress - I'm not saying she's a brilliant one but I don't recall ever watching a scene and cringing at the acting. So as far as her acting goes, I was happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by elitepower
I think the concept was great but it wasn't put to it's full use.

The episode itself was alright, nothing special maybe introducing Clara three times was too much?

The leaf will be important somehow.

Overall glad it has started again, hoping the other episodes pick up the pace.

I think that Mofatt outdid himself in introducing her at Christmas and so i'd actually rather he'd have got her then, plus the Victorian aspect would be cool.

Original post by ReeceJ
Ecclestone and Rose without a doubt! Closely followed by Smith and Clara. She's already becoming an excellent companion.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

I think Clara and Smith have the potential to be best pairing certainly.

Tennant narrowly beats Smith (though episodes were better for Tennant) as Doctor.

Geronimooooooooooooo..........
I reckon half human doc and rose will make an appearance in a series finale at some point since they still exist in the other universe. I'm looking forward to the two docs debating the morality of genociding the daleks.
Reply 199
I will give myself a break in guessing who is Clara at the moment, but I would say my piece:

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Probably a nonsense comment, but that's my impression, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest