The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, we don't.
It looks like the problem here is your taste in men rather than anything else.
Reply 22
Yes and no...

Cba to go into details :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Well some guys do and some don't it depends on the person and their beliefs, morals etc like I won't because of my religion and I personally believe it would be unfair to my future wife to have sex before marriage though this is my view.
Reply 24
That's not the only thing on their mind, no, but for most people sex is an expected part of a relationship, especially as you're now 17 and therefore legal. Find someone who likes you for you, however, and you'll feel comfortable and sex will be a mutual thing you do together when you both want to. Stick to your guns as you may regret if you don't and virginity isn't something you can decide to get back if you change your mind later
Idk, this is just what I think. Basically, it should be a mutual decision, but you also shouldn't be surprised for him to be thinking about sex, as that's just human nature
Reply 25
Nope, I honestly don't place that much importance on sex, I find those boys who constantly post threads/questions about how to 'get' sex quite pathetic. Although sex is enjoyable, I see it as a very primitive need and find guys/girls that believe they will die if they don't have sex/masturbate any time soon as repulsive. If had with the right people and in the right situations sex can be amazing.

I do understand the importance sex has in a relationship though. Other than sex there are many things I would rank higher, this includes having someone who:

1. Is compatible with me, ie having similar political beliefs
2. Have goals in life (career)
3. Is good looking
4. Want similar things in life.
5. Have a sense of humour
6. Adventurous
7. Someone with whom no silent moments would be 'awkward'
8. Have meaningful conversations
9. Intelligent
10. Respectful
11. Likes my family
12. Likes dogs!
13. Many other things basically, someone with whom I can imagine having a future with <3
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mirazia
In my opinion, it equals only wanting sex when they ask for it unreasonably early on (i.e. a month), and get annoyed when you won't comply. Also, asking for it when you are drunk doesn't seem like something that someone who actually cared about the person would do! I also want sex - it's not that I don't - it's just that I want it with someone for whom it's a plus, rather than the only motivation for being with someone

I think that's a little unfair. Young guys are mega horny, they are going to crave sex. Sexual frustration is a horrible feeling. It's a little annoying being told you only think through your dick because you have a liberal view on sex.

It sounds like you're being sensible, I mean a lot of guys are just going to want sex, but I wouldn't confuse teenage hormones with a lack of sincerity. If he says "shag me or you're dumped", you're best off without. If he gets frustrated when you can't go further when you're getting off, give him a break.
Original post by Wiska
Nope, I honestly don't place that much importance on sex, I find those boys who constantly post threads/questions about how to 'get' sex quite pathetic. Although sex is enjoyable, I see it as a very primitive need and find guys/girls that believe they will die if they don't have sex/masturbate any time soon as repulsive. If had with the right people and in the right situations sex can be amazing.

I do understand the importance sex has in a relationship though. Other than sex there are many things I would rank higher, this includes having someone who:

1. Is compatible with me, ie having similar political beliefs
2. Have goals in life (career)
3. Is good looking
3. Want similar things in life.
4. Have a sense of humour
5. Adventurous
6. Someone with whom no silent moments would be 'awkward'
7. Have meaningful conversations
6. Intelligent
7. Respectful
8. Likes my family
9. Likes dogs!
10. Many other things basically, someone with whom I can imagine having a future with <3

I only care about counting ability.
Reply 28
Original post by mirazia
I feel as if every guy I've been out with has only wanted me for sex. I dumped my last boyfriend after he tried to make me have sex with him whilst I was drunk; I can;t seem to kiss a boy without him asking me for a blow job. Even when I was fourteen, in my first relationship, I was dumped after refusing to go further.

I don't really know what I do that gives off this vibe. I'm intelligent and, although I wouldn't call myself prudish, I don't have loose morals with regards to sex. I'm currently 17 and have never had sex - I'm so glad that I reject these guys' advances but I'm becoming exasperated and worried that it's something I'm doing??

thanks for any advice in advance :colondollar:

Go for the nerd at the back of the class, and see if that happens again. Blame your taste in men, not men.

I am funny, intelligent both academically and generally, and popular, and I've never known a girl to have a crush on me or my friends, the nerds. Pretty much all the guys with girlfriends are in the lowest academic sets and are gangster wannabes. Do you expect these boys to act sensible?

I know you can't deny physical attraction, but that alone shouldn't tempt you to engage in a relationship.

Just try it. Go for a nerd who spend their spare time revising and listens to classical music (if they'll accept you, that is; won't get a Romeo if you ain't a Juliet). And then see if it happens again. I hate to flip the nice-guys-finish-last card, but it couldn't be more true.
Original post by mirazia
I feel as if every guy I've been out with has only wanted me for sex. I dumped my last boyfriend after he tried to make me have sex with him whilst I was drunk; I can;t seem to kiss a boy without him asking me for a blow job. Even when I was fourteen, in my first relationship, I was dumped after refusing to go further.

I don't really know what I do that gives off this vibe. I'm intelligent and, although I wouldn't call myself prudish, I don't have loose morals with regards to sex. I'm currently 17 and have never had sex - I'm so glad that I reject these guys' advances but I'm becoming exasperated and worried that it's something I'm doing??

It will be your image and body language. Some girls accidentally go for the "cock hungry" look which of course, makes them a douche magnet. Fix that and guys won't act like this around you.
Personally, sex doesn't really mean much to me, I'ld rather leave that to whomever to take control of. There are some of us out there that have other interests, like being able to spend time with said person...

The only thing is, we aren't easy to find, because we're generally quite shy and to ourselves.
Reply 31
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
Personally, sex doesn't really mean much to me, I'ld rather leave that to whomever to take control of. There are some of us out there that have other interests, like being able to spend time with said person...

The only thing is, we aren't easy to find, because we're generally quite shy and to ourselves.

This.
Original post by mirazia

If you start having sex now, you will be a clapped out old trollop before you are thirty.
Original post by Ignitus
Go for the nerd at the back of the class, and see if that happens again. Blame your taste in men, not men.

I am funny, intelligent both academically and generally, and popular, and I've never known a girl to have a crush on me or my friends, the nerds. Pretty much all the guys with girlfriends are in the lowest academic sets and are gangster wannabes. Do you expect these boys to act sensible?

I know you can't deny physical attraction, but that alone shouldn't tempt you to engage in a relationship.

Just try it. Go for a nerd who spend their spare time revising and listens to classical music (if they'll accept you, that is; won't get a Romeo if you ain't a Juliet). And then see if it happens again. I hate to flip the nice-guys-finish-last card, but it couldn't be more true.

Yeah... that's bull****.

Men ARE men. Some men are better at hiding what they want than others, but if you gave a nerd a girlfriend, chances are he's going to want to get lucky, no matter how much Mozart and Bach he listens to. That might not be the ONLY thing he wants, but if you're honestly going to sit there and tell me that the only thing you'd EVER want to do is sit there and brush her hair and go shopping with her, etc, then you're lying your proverbial rocks off. In fact, give a nerd a girlfriend, and they're more likely than others to think they're entitled to it because they've 'earned' it by being super nice all the time. The world doesn't work that way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Not all boys are like this. But tbh most teenage boys are raging masturbators with ridiculous hormonal balances. So not surprised.

When you're ready you're ready.
Yeah, ignore the self righteous "nerds". It's easy to say how great you are when you've never actually been tested.
What a stupid question, this will differ between guys obviously. For example when you look at teenage boys and compare them to 30 yr old+ men you'd get two very different answers.

Original post by TwilightKnight
Yeah... that's bull****.

Men ARE men. Some men are better at hiding what they want than others, but if you gave a nerd a hot girlfriend, chances are he's going to want to get lucky, no matter how much Mozart and Bach he listens to. That might not be the ONLY thing he wants, but if you're honestly going to sit there and tell me that the only thing you'd EVER want to do is sit there and brush her hair and go shopping with her, etc, then your lying you're proverbial rocks off. In fact, give a nerd a girlfriend, and they're more likely than others to think they're entitled to it because they've 'earned' it by being super nice all the time. The world doesn't work that way.

This.

Just cause you're nice doesn't you're entitled to a girlfriend. You can be the nicest guy in the world, but if you're boring, have no confidence etc good luck finding a girlfriend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by mirazia

Most guys don't only want sex, but most do want sex. Not necessarily right away (though few would turn it down), but at some point in the not-too-distant future. Wanting a girl to go further doesn't imply they don't want the rest of the relationship. If they push you too far and too firmly they're probably not right for you and you're better off cutting losses. However if you're not up for sex in a relationship at all, or for a significant time, it's better to be up front about that so you don't end up with a guy you're not compatible with.

With the exception of guys to try to pressure or blackmail you into stuff, it's not an issue of guys being bad or you being a prude, it's just an issue of compatibility. Find a guy with a similar view on sex, or at least who's willing to wait as long as you want, and accept this may reduce the pool of available men you're suited to.
Reply 38
Original post by TwilightKnight
Yeah... that's bull****.

Men ARE men. Some men are better at hiding what they want than others, but if you gave a nerd a hot girlfriend, chances are he's going to want to get lucky, no matter how much Mozart and Bach he listens to. That might not be the ONLY thing he wants, but if you're honestly going to sit there and tell me that the only thing you'd EVER want to do is sit there and brush her hair and go shopping with her, etc, then your lying you're proverbial rocks off. In fact, give a nerd a girlfriend, and they're more likely than others to think they're entitled to it because they've 'earned' it by being super nice all the time. The world doesn't work that way.

Typical, hackneyed tactic, making a positive correlation out to be a cause and effect.
Uh, I'm nerdy, and my friends more so, and I think I know my friends well enough to assure myself they're more decent than that. You're addressing the stereotypical 'nerd', which I'm entirely to blame for, but I was referring to someone not necessarily academically but generally intelligent, who would have the decency not to chose their partner based on, at least not solely, physical attraction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Ignitus
Typical, hackneyed tactic, making a positive correlation out to be a cause and effect.
Uh, I'm nerdy, and my friends more so, and I think I know my friends well enough to assure myself they're more decent than that. I think maybe you're bringing up the stereotypical 'nerd', which I'm also at fault for, but I'm referring to someone intelligent, not necessarily academically but generally, who would have the decency not to chose their partner based on, at least not solely, physical attraction.

More decent? Do you associate wanting sex in a relationship with not being a decent guy?

I'm a pretty serious nerd and didn't choose my partner based solely on physical attraction, but both physical attraction and sex played a significant part. If you're attracted to a girl enough to want to go out with her, it would be strange not to have sexual feelings towards her. Being decent means respecting what she wants and not pushing things, even if this means ending things if you're incompatible. It doesn't mean not having sexual desires.

If you're choosing your partner independent of any physical attraction, then that's not a romantic relationship, it's a platonic one. I guess you may find guys who have that attraction but aren't yet ready to act on it, but that's a maturity issue not a decency one.

Latest

Trending

Trending