The Student Room Group

Good universities near London?

Hi, I got in to Durham university's business and management foundation programme, however I think it might be too far away for me. Since I'm an international student and have never been to the UK, I was thinking I should go somewhere near London city. what do you guys think? am I being silly to pass Durham for a city experience? Can you recommend any good universities with foundation programmes in or near London. All my life ive lived in cities and small towns might not be my thing especially since I'll be new to the country and wont know anyone there, the few people I know live in london. I cant apply to oxbridge or imperial because they dont have foundation programmes. im applying to KCL foundation program since ive heard its better than UCL UPCH course. anyway, I was hoping to get some input on good universities with foundation programmes (humanities, business, global affairs, environment, economics, etc. along any of these lines) in or around london, can be 1.5 hours from London, accessible by train, not more. im on a bit of a deadline so any info would be great! much appreciated! :yep:

OH P.S. My course is at the Stockton on Tees campus, and it has like 2000ish students in total, including all undergrad and grad students.. So I think its really a small smalll place and I'm kind of shy so its difficult for me to make friends easily and I feel like in a small place with very few students, i'll have a hard time! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
London is only good if you can afford it.
Have you looked at places such as Kent Uni., Southampton etc.? The former is about 55mins from London by train (at the Canterbury campus, anyway) on the high-speed service, and the latter about 1hr15 mins away from London. There's also universities such as Goldsmith's which you might want to look into. I think you should go where you feel comfortable, to be honest, although I don't really know anything about Durham.
Durham is a beautiful city with a unique history. Its small enough that you wont feel 'lost' and without friends but has lots of 'student' things to do. You will be close enough to do weekend visits to other cities like Manchester and Edinburgh, and some of the most stunning countryside in Britain.

London is busy, overcrowded, expensive, dirty etc. The Uni there is strung out with different Depts and Libraries etc all over the place. It has little 'community feel'. If you want to experience what a real English town feels like, go to Durham.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Durham is a beautiful city with a unique history. Its small enough that you wont feel 'lost' and without friends but has lots of 'student' things to do. You will be close enough to do weekend visits to other cities like Manchester and Edinburgh, and some of the most stunning countryside in Britain.

London is busy, overcrowded, expensive, dirty etc. The Uni there is strung out with different Depts and Libraries etc all over the place. It has little 'community feel'. If you want to experience what a real English town feels like, go to Durham.

I agree, Durham is a very beautiful City.. But I forgot to mention that i'll be at the Stockton on Tees campus, which has like 2000ish students in total and I've heard theres really not much to do there :frown:
Original post by aas123
Hi, I got in to Durham university's business and management foundation programme, however I think it might be too far away for me. Since I'm an international student and have never been to the UK, I was thinking I should go somewhere near London city. what do you guys think? am I being silly to pass Durham for a city experience? Can you recommend any good universities with foundation programmes in or near London. All my life ive lived in cities and small towns might not be my thing especially since I'll be new to the country and wont know anyone there, the few people I know live in london. I cant apply to oxbridge or imperial because they dont have foundation programmes. im applying to KCL foundation program since ive heard its better than UCL UPCH course. anyway, I was hoping to get some input on good universities with foundation programmes (humanities, business, global affairs, environment, economics, etc. along any of these lines) in or around london, can be 1.5 hours from London, accessible by train, not more. im on a bit of a deadline so any info would be great! much appreciated! :yep:

OH P.S. My course is at the Stockton on Tees campus, and it has like 2000ish students in total, including all undergrad and grad students.. So I think its really a small smalll place and I'm kind of shy so its difficult for me to make friends easily and I feel like in a small place with very few students, i'll have a hard time! :frown:

London isn't everything tbh. I'm in Aberystwyth, i'm shy & an international student myself and I've never had a better time even though i'm basically in a tiny town at the end of the line! :smile: tbh the town is so small that everyone knows each other, which i personally think is good because it's much easier to talk to people!

Not to mention that Durham is breathtaking and a very good university as well :smile:
Reply 6
I can offer some experience of London that might be useful. The atmosphere can be rather different to other cities, depending on where you've lived, as there's not a "community" feel in central London so you'd have to rely on the university in that department. On the other hand, there's so many museums and cultural stuff that you could probably find people outside of the university who share your interests, although in London people come to things from all over the city which can be far, but that isn't so bad as transport is wonderful in London.
Hey! You wouldn't believe, I'm in the exact same situation. I'm turning down Durham's law with foundation for KCL foundation. I've always lived in a big city too, and Durham seems like a too small city. You can pm me if you want to talk, guess I would understand you the best:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending