The Student Room Group

Ladies - what's the weirdest and worst way a guy has approached you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
When put into perspective my experience wasn't very creepy. However, it still freaked me out a little when it happened.
I was walking around town when a man across the street yelled: "Hey you, are you a model?" I simply ignored him and kept walking. Around 15 minutes later, while I was in a shop, someone addressed me by saying how tall I was and that he should start growing again, so I turn around and, voila, there stood the same guy. The creepy part is that he followed me around town before finally approaching me in a remote corner of a shop. :biggrin:

Perhaps what I found creepy was not him, but myself and my awkward "no thanks" as I walked away, I really did not know how to respond to that. :colondollar:

I've also had few of those "I feel someone grinding against me from behind" experiences in clubs. The guilty always happen to be freshies who are, as a rule, grinning creepily.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Sitting at the bus stop, on my own, and its pretty quiet around. Then a car stops randomly and the guy opens his window and asks whether I want a ride home whilst tapping on the seat next to him. I refused, thinking I was going to get kidnapped, and he tried to insist and was like 'come on, I'll be nice' and winked..' this is when I felt really awkward and scared so I walked to the shop in the opposite direction. This creep made me miss my bus -_-
(edited 11 years ago)
Just remembered two more, swear I always get approached by absolute freaks:

1) I was out with some friends and we were dancing and I could feel someone standing behind me, and this guys was standing really closely behind me just staring not saying anything and being generally creepy, so me and friends moved and he kept on following us but still not saying a word. So I walked off by myself and he followed me. So I literally ran away from him and he started running after me. And he was just chasing me round the dance floor for like 5 minutes and every time I would stop he would just stand next to me and stare and not say a word.

2) This guy approached me in a bar and was like "you look so sexy, good enough to eat" and then bit me.
Reply 83
Oh just the standard grinding in clubs and having my arse pinched by several people and all the usual like that

My friend was once approached by a guy when we were walking home at about 11.30pm once who just said 'do you like cake? I like cake' to which she replied yes. He then said 'you should come back to mine, I have cake.' She just said 'I don't think we can be friends' and we walked off. Random
Reply 84
'You have great childbearing hips' *winks*

:eyeball:
Reply 85
Had quite a few of these...

I was 16 and on my way home from shopping when a guy came running up to me, out of breath and said "Okay, you made me run all the way here, made me miss my bus, so I'm not leaving until you give me your number"... long story short he didn't get it.

Another one was when I was 17. I was at a bus stop and a man who was like 70 smiled at me. I smiled back and then he stepped towards me and said "You have a sexy smile" I was sorta freaked and replied "er, thanks". He stepped back and I thought that was it, but he came back and asked if he could get my number. I told him no and then he said "Whats the matter, you don't like dating elderly men?" I got on the bus and so did he but to my relief he didn't follow me upstairs.

Another time, also at a bus stop, aguy came up to me going on about how fit he thought I was... It went a little like this: "Aw your so fit. Do you go to the gym? do you work out?
"Er not really"
"That's amazing, your so fit..." etc.. "Can I touch you? can I touch you?"
My bus came at that moment...

I seem to be a magnet for strange encounters :s-smilie:
So girls, what is the best way to approach you without seeming to be pervy, creepy or weird?

You gotta admire these guys efforts at least?
Reply 87
I was in a taxi and, feeling happy and contented, waved at the guy who had been waving eagerly at me in the car behind, thinking nothing of it.

I paid for my taxi and walked into the reception area, waiting to see one of my best friends at their university. Five minutes later, whilst I was still waiting for her to arrive, the man from the car approached me (having followed me from the taxi) and just stood beside me, saying nothing. This happened for about two minutes until he says 'hi,' asking me if I was single etc.

Pretended that approaching friend was my girlfriend in order to get away as fast as possible. :erm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by T_x
I was in a taxi and, feeling happy and contented, waved at the guy who had been waving eagerly at me in the car behind, thinking nothing of it.

I paid for my taxi and walked into the reception area, waiting to see one of my best friends at their university. Five minutes later, whilst I was still waiting for her to arrive, the man from the car approached me (having followed me from the taxi) and just stood beside me, saying nothing. This happened for about two minutes until he says 'hi,' asking me if I was single etc.

Pretended that approaching friend was my girlfriend in order to get away as fast as possible. :erm:

He probably was shy, you know.

Imagine if you were a guy (guys generally dont have women approaching them) and are expected to make the first move. Would you act any differently?

You girls annoy me sometimes, when we dont try, we need to be more confident, when we do try, we are weirdos - homosexuality is the way forward for men. :frown:

This post misuses the anonymous function, before posting anonymously please read the H&R guidelines http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guidelines_for_health_and_relationships
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Anonymous

Imagine if you were a guy (guys generally dont have women approaching them) and are expected to make the first move. Would you act any differently?

You girls annoy me sometimes, when we dont try, we need to be more confident, when we do try, we are weirdos - homosexuality is the way forward for men. :frown:

Ok, first of all: if the guy was shy, then why would he have followed a girl he didn't know (who was about ten years younger than him) out of a taxi into a reception area of a university that he wasn't a part of? (He eventually told me this).

To answer your rhetorical or otherwise question, I would not try and approach a girl by following her taxi. It was 10pm on a Sunday night. It was creepy. He stood beside me, having 'overcome' any form of shyness by following me in the first place, for two minutes.

I approach boys who I want to be friends with; either you're hanging out with the wrong people or you have a mistaken opinion of what 'roles' should be like for men and women. Either way, I wish you well - hopefully you'll come across someone with whom you feel no games are being played, but until then, please take this away: speaking for myself, I am not comfortable with just being randomly approached. I have a lot of confidence, but it irks me that guys feel it is acceptable to just go up to a woman and hope to strike up a relationship in the street/whatever.

The lessons that guys can take from this thread are as follows:

1) Don't approach girls out of your appropriate age range. If she's young enough to be your daughter or granddaughter then it's probably not gonna work out (unless you have stacks of cash or are George Clooney)

2) If you see a girl then just talk to her like a normal person, grand gestures are not needed, as the make you seem too keen and a bit odd

3) Stalking people is not cool or attractive
Reply 91
So girls, what is the best way to approach you without seeming to be pervy, creepy or weird?

You gotta admire these guys efforts at least?

The obvious - don't touch what isn't yours (without fairly explicit permission). Don't leer. Don't intrude - you can sometimes interrupt someone who looks busy, but if they don't respond with any enthusiasm/continue to be busy, move on and leave them alone. Don't follow. Don't ask for weird/inappropriate personal details "tell me where you live", "what's your cup size" etc. Be respectful, imagine how you would want people to treat/view your sister or you mother (presuming you have a good relationship with them!) The obvious.

Then, for start - try approaching someone in a way that they might actually get something out of the interaction, not just you.

So - say a joke, talk about something interesting, do something courteous, break the ice whatever - be sociable as you might be to anyone.
Rather than demand information/priveleges (whether it's I want your number! Can I feel you!) out of the blue and without offering anything or differentiating yourself from any old creep.

My opinion: don't open with a comment on their appearance, however flattering, respectful or innocent you think it is. Most women have had too many negative experiences to not find this instantly uncomfortable/worrying.

Remember the situation you are in. Generally try to avoid romantically approaching women in places where they are alone (frightening, this one's probably a definitely avoid tbh), in personal spaces (if you come into their home/place of work/place of study for a professional reason for example), or trapped.

Just have a social sense for chemistry and reciprocity. If you find it hard, try to consciously identify clues as to whether she is reciprocating or not (does she initiate any conversation/questions? Is she changing the topic away from any flirting? Is she dulling/slowing/ending the conversation? Is she avoiding eye contact with you? Does she look uncomfortable?).
Thought of another one: TSR

That one didn't end with him getting rejected though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T_x
Ok, first of all: if the guy was shy, then why would he have followed a girl he didn't know (who was about ten years younger than him) out of a taxi into a reception area of a university that he wasn't a part of? (He eventually told me this).

To answer your rhetorical or otherwise question, I would not try and approach a girl by following her taxi. It was 10pm on a Sunday night. It was creepy. He stood beside me, having 'overcome' any form of shyness by following me in the first place, for two minutes.

I approach boys who I want to be friends with; either you're hanging out with the wrong people or you have a mistaken opinion of what 'roles' should be like for men and women. Either way, I wish you well - hopefully you'll come across someone with whom you feel no games are being played, but until then, please take this away: speaking for myself, I am not comfortable with just being randomly approached. I have a lot of confidence, but it irks me that guys feel it is acceptable to just go up to a woman and hope to strike up a relationship in the street/whatever.

So lets do a role reversal - if it was a girl who approached a guy would it be more acceptable.

And it does happen, seen it with my good looking friends. I also know of guys that do approach women on the street and have been successful.

How do you know that you misinterpreted it by thinking that he followed you - maybe, just maybe , he knew he would never see you again so took the opportunity to 'follow you' so that he could chat to you. Putting his ego on the line.

How is that any different from some lout approaching you in a bar?

And who cares if he's older, it's not like he is approaching an underage girl, is he? Fair play to the man.

Btw sorry for being like this, but you clearly have no idea how hard it is to approach a girl you fancy only for her to reject you.

Mods keep this anon please.
So lets do a role reversal - if it was a girl who approached a guy would it be more acceptable.

And it does happen, seen it with my good looking friends. I also know of guys that do approach women on the street and have been successful.

How do you know that you misinterpreted it by thinking that he followed you - maybe, just maybe , he knew he would never see you again so took the opportunity to 'follow you' so that he could chat to you. Putting his ego on the line.

How is that any different from some lout approaching you in a bar?

And who cares if he's older, it's not like he is approaching an underage girl, is he? Fair play to the man.

Btw sorry for being like this, but you clearly have no idea how hard it is to approach a girl you fancy only for her to reject you.

Mods keep this anon please.

And to add - if say you are single, and the guy was cute. Like totally your type, but he approached you like this, would you reject him flat out.

be honest with yourself. Bet you would give him more time to prove himself.
Original post by Pigling
The obvious - don't touch what isn't yours (without fairly explicit permission). Don't leer. Don't intrude - you can sometimes interrupt someone who looks busy, but if they don't respond with any enthusiasm/continue to be busy, move on and leave them alone. Don't follow. Don't ask for weird/inappropriate personal details "tell me where you live", "what's your cup size" etc. Be respectful, imagine how you would want people to treat/view your sister or you mother (presuming you have a good relationship with them!) The obvious.

Then, for start - try approaching someone in a way that they might actually get something out of the interaction, not just you.

So - say a joke, talk about something interesting, do something courteous, break the ice whatever - be sociable as you might be to anyone.
Rather than demand information/priveleges (whether it's I want your number! Can I feel you!) out of the blue and without offering anything or differentiating yourself from any old creep.

My opinion: don't open with a comment on their appearance, however flattering, respectful or innocent you think it is. Most women have had too many negative experiences to not find this instantly uncomfortable/worrying.

Remember the situation you are in. Generally try to avoid romantically approaching women in places where they are alone (frightening, this one's probably a definitely avoid tbh), in personal spaces (if you come into their home/place of work/place of study for a professional reason for example), or trapped.

Just have a social sense for chemistry and reciprocity. If you find it hard, try to consciously identify clues as to whether she is reciprocating or not (does she initiate any conversation/questions? Is she changing the topic away from any flirting? Is she dulling/slowing/ending the conversation? Is she avoiding eye contact with you? Does she look uncomfortable?).

Decent advise thanks.

I disagree with compliments, i think it all depends who the guy is.

If the guy was hot/cute but complimented you, you would feel flattered right. Then again as you say as long as she doesn't blow you out, that's good enough.
Reply 96
With my mum queuing at a checkout-> I'm finishing loading the shopping-> mum is starting to pack->greasy guy at a checkout asks my mum..."does your daughter have a Boyfriend?" while I'm clearly in ear shot, walking towards the packing section of the checkout...hmmm not one of me best moments.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not sure what this experience I had was about but it certainly made me uncomfortable. I had just had my first shift at a local restaurant and it was approaching 2am and the guy I was working with who I had seen around before but had never really spoken to and it was too busy to talk in the kitchen, offered me a lift home as the buses weren't running. I warily accepted as I had no other way to get home. On the way home his questions and conversation got increasingly personal,he told me randomly about losing his virginity in freshers week,asked me if I had a boyfriend,if I was still a virgin etc..I eventually asked him to drop me off in a busy street and I walked the rest of the way home.

I was in a queue at Starbucks when a middle aged guy in front of me suddeny turns on his heel to face me and starts asking me how I am today,which I thought was fine so replied fairly neturally and began to study the menu. He then proceeded to ask me if I was a schoolgirl,and how old I was etc..how was school etc.. what my plans for the day were all while smiling rather oddly. Maybe he was just being friendly but I did feel pretty freaked out so promptly walked out and went somewhere else.

I was shopping in a quiet charity shop when this guy standing near me suddenly bursts out laughing and turns to me,waving a postcard at me,(it was a humorous postcard for sale) and repeats the joke on it before stopping laughing and asking me if I thought it was funny. I nodded and moved to another part of the shop. He follows me and stands next to me,still waving the card. I eventually walk out the shop,and look behind me before crossing the road and he is right behind me,still smiling. He then looks me up and down really slowly and continues to follow me. He eventually stopped when I walked into a really busy department store.

I was on work experience abroad in Germany,and as I was walking down to the u bahn station,and this young turkish guy slows down his car next to me and smiles,before whistling and shouting about how had nice legs.

I then got on the u bahn and a guy started chatting to me from across the aisle..he was talking really quickly so I was struggling to keep up before I suddenly caught the words..'Do you like bratwurst? I have one if you'd like..' while smiling creepily.
Reply 98
I work in linens in John Lewis and had been helping this foreign guy kit out his new room (he didn't know what he needed at all). After about 20 minutes he went to pay for the things I'd suggested. 10 minutes later he came up to me with a different duvet cover asking my opinion. While I was talking about it, he asked me how old I was, then said 'You I invite. Um cafe? We stay together!' I awkwardly said 'ummmm I don't think so... do you still want this duvet?' He said no, looked really sad and apologetic and walked off. This was in front of quite a few other customers...
I was in a club last week and a guy came up to be and asked me to come down and have a cigarette with him. I said that I wanted to stay with my friends, but he wouldn't listen and kept trying to persuade me to come with him. Eventually my friend intervened so the guy dragged him off to talk to him and told him that "She's mine" and "She's coming home with me tonight". It was really creepy that he didn't even think I had a choice in the matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending