The Student Room Group

Can't decide between UEA and HYMS

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely happy to have received two unconditional offers this year for medicine, one from the University of East Anglia and one from Hull York Medical School.

However, I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma! Having received two offers, I now have to decide where I'd like to firm. With me having unconditional offers, I'm unable to insurance one of my offers, so I have to pick one and stick with it.

Both courses are very similar, offering PBL, plenaries, early patient contact, etc. I think the fact that the courses are SO similar makes the decision even harder than if they differed by a larger amount.

Just wondering if anyone could help? Anyone had any experiences of the two different medical schools?

Thanks
I'd go for UEA, because I know a couple of people there who LOVE their lives.
Reply 2
Original post by MTW47
Ditto for HYMS! As the courses are similar, have you visited each site. That had a major bearing on my choice. HYMS seem super efficient and the staff and other students were really friendly. It seemed like a great atmosphere. Also I suppose where you live now has a bearing. Good luck with your choice and maybe see you in September:smile:

I have visited Hull Medical School, York Medical School and UEA Medical School but I'm still finding it extremely hard to make the decision. The fact that I live quite close to the Hull Medical School puts me off applying for HYMS quite a bit as I want to move further away. However, the fact that Norwich is just so far also puts me off... So distance-wise, they both have major negatives in terms of what I want. I found the people at UEA to be very friendly. I'd say a major difference between HYMS and UEA is that in phase two of HYMS, you move to different towns to undertake placements, but at UEA you stay on campus and therefore UEA spends more time doing lectures at the university within years three and four.

Gonna go crazy! It's beginning to get to me. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by J4m0ne
Hi everyone,

I'm extremely happy to have received two unconditional offers this year for medicine, one from the University of East Anglia and one from Hull York Medical School.

However, I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma! Having received two offers, I now have to decide where I'd like to firm. With me having unconditional offers, I'm unable to insurance one of my offers, so I have to pick one and stick with it.

Both courses are very similar, offering PBL, plenaries, early patient contact, etc. I think the fact that the courses are SO similar makes the decision even harder than if they differed by a larger amount.

Just wondering if anyone could help? Anyone had any experiences of the two different medical schools?

Thanks

As you've clearly considered the course, how about looking at the other factors which are important to university life- the campuses and facilities they offer in terms of accomodation, clubs and societies e.c.t

I know at UEA medical students have a longer year than other students-In first year they move in a week earlier, have their own freshers week ( you can still join in the main freshers week but the course starts that week) and finish a bit later. They also have their own societies and medics are usually placed in a flat in halls where half the students are medics. Unfortunatley I don't have any first hand experience of the course.
I also received offers from HYMS & UEA but they are conditional.
In the end I decided to firm HYMS purely on distance from home, I live near Liverpool and UEA is a 5 hour slog both in the car and on P.Transport.

Both seem to be lovely schools and I thought the staff and students at both were lovely but for me UEA was just a bit too far away.

I'd recommend visiting all 3 and seeing where you feel you fit in the best, your going to be there for 5 years!!

Good Luck with your choice, maybe see you in September!
:redface:
Reply 5
Original post by marycatherine17
I also received offers from HYMS & UEA but they are conditional.
In the end I decided to firm HYMS purely on distance from home, I live near Liverpool and UEA is a 5 hour slog both in the car and on P.Transport.

Both seem to be lovely schools and I thought the staff and students at both were lovely but for me UEA was just a bit too far away.

I'd recommend visiting all 3 and seeing where you feel you fit in the best, your going to be there for 5 years!!

Good Luck with your choice, maybe see you in September!
:redface:

I ended up firming HYMS! Maybe see you there in September then!
Reply 6
You wont regret choosing HYMS. It's a wonderful med school. I may be SLIGHTLY biased as a current student though. haha.
Reply 7
Original post by LewDacris
You wont regret choosing HYMS. It's a wonderful med school. I may be SLIGHTLY biased as a current student though. haha.

Haha, glad to hear it! Which campus are you situated at?
Should've picked UEA :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending