The Student Room Group

Girls name 5 things you look for in a guy.

Scroll to see replies

The similar sort of qualities seem to be appear in most lists, which really isn't a surprise. However, one question I have is how quickly do you judge whether a guy has these qualities. For example:

- let's take funny/sense of humour: on the first date, when you're still a bit nervous (the good kind of nervous) and slowly getting to know the girl, I find it quite tricky to start with the jokes straight away. What's more, her sense of humour maybe slightly different to mine; she may like sarcastic humour whereas I tend to be more slapstick type comedy. So, the jokes, banter and humour comes out in full swing only after meeting her a couple of times. Girls may then need to be careful not to judge a guy too quickly.

- let's take job/career/money: the question of "what do you do for a living" gets asked quite early when getting to know someone. So, within a few hours of meeting them, you already know roughly how they're doing financially, what their career prospects are like, whether they're ambitious etc. I say that because this is quite a natural topic to open with on the first couple of dates to find out what they other person does. So, if a guy is doing really well for himself and the girl is impressed by this, gauging him purely on this would be a bit of misjudgement?

In addition to the qualities you look for, I think its worthwhile finding out from the girls, the time frame in which they find/suss out whether a guy has the qualities they're looking for.
Original post by Vikki1805
Confidence, but not overly confident.

Well dressed, if a man has his jeans half way down his legs with his boxers on show I find it an immediate turn off.

Good grammar and well spoken in general.

Sense of humour.

Positivity, someone who looks on the bright side of life more often than seeing the worst in everything.

Vik-ram :daydreaming:
Original post by scherzi
Why do so many girls seemingly want a sense of humour, yet so few guys want the same?

Cause we have our guy mates fulfilling that role 24/7. :smug:

Truth be told, we're not interested if a girl is funny or not - we just want to peg :ahee:

Kidding. :tongue:
-Very introverted
-Has the same interests as me
-Likes physical intimacy
-Quiet and shy with other people, but not with me
-Very down to earth
Reply 64
Original post by xoflower
Hm well, being tall is masculine and if a girls taller than him they may feel less feminine? Also, a guy being taller is normal so they want to avoid people with negative comments hm idk

mhmm, I guess those are valid reasons. Though from both perspectives the reasons are a bit silly :tongue:
Reply 65
Original post by lastlullabyy
I'm really short (157 cm) so it's not hard for a guy to be taller than me... And I don't have preferences towards to height...

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah not alot of guys are that short. Fair enough. I'm 6ft 2 and I think I've only ever met one girl who was taller than me(well,without heels).
Reply 66
Original post by whooo
Wants more then sex from

What like, a bacon sandwich in the morning?

April fools I'm not sexist

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE's
A-Levels
Some sort of scientific degree qualification (PhD optional though preferred)
Good taste in music/same taste
Very artistic/creative
Original post by arkhamz
wow, as a guy who's relatively tall I have to say that even I'm surprised that a lot of the girls here put "height" in their top 5, something a lot of people have no control other. To the girls who did, how important is it to you and why exactly?

It makes us girls feel safe and protected I suppose. Also, being tall makes the guy more masculine. :smile:
They have to make me laugh... I mean, they don't have to be a laugh a minute, but still.

How smart they are is important. And it doesn't have to be academically smart, as long as they're smart in some shape or form and not a complete idiot, I'll be happy.

How they nice they are. If they aren't nice to me or anyone else, I'm not interested.

They have to enjoy at least some of the same things that I do. Obviously it's not going to be all, but maybe if they liked a few of the same movies, books, music artists or activities. They'd also have to be open to trying new things, like reading a book I like. But obviously not someone who'll like everything I do, because that's just boring.

And people might say that looks aren't important, but they are to some extent. They have to catch your eye for you to get to know them. They don't have to be devilishly handsome. If they tick the rest of the boxes, they just have to be decent I guess.

My current boyfriend ticks all those boxes.:u:
Original post by Spontogical
Vik-ram :daydreaming:

Davey Babey :daydreaming:
In order:

1) He can't be any less intelligent than me, that would be boring
2) Confident
3) Friendly (confident and friendly should come together, I can't order them. If he's friendly and not confident then he's a pushover, if he's confident and not friendly then he's an a-hole)
4) Wouldn't feel emasculated if he has to rely on me at times (ironically that shows a lack of masculinity in itself)
5) At least some ambitions, but that's not too important. He can be less ambitious than me if he wants.

To be honest I just described my boyfriend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Intelligent (he doesn't have to be a genius)

Taller than me

Faithfulness- to me (I will never forgive a man to cheats)

Serious and silly depending on the environment we're in

Confident

Have dreams and goals

I know that's 6! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Whatever is way too much
Reply 74
Loyal
Funny/Witty
Similar intelligence to me
Empathetic
Hot (physically)
Original post by crazychocx
Intelligent (he doesn't have to be a genius)

Taller than me

Faithfulness to me (I will never forgive a man to cheats)

Serious and silly depending on the environment we're in

Confident

Have dreams and goals

I know that's 6! :tongue:

Greedy girl :tongue: just kidding!
Reply 76
Original post by crazychocx
It makes us girls feel safe and protected I suppose. Also, being tall makes the guy more masculine. :smile:

That seems to be the general consensus, alright I think I have a good enough understanding :wink:
Chivalry
Intelligence
Good sense of style
Maturity and stability (as in emotionally and financially)
Loyalty
Reading these lists is sort of reassuring in a way because I feel as though I could have a good shot at ticking most of the boxes, however I've often heard the old "I don't get that spark" or "that extra something is missing!" - what's the deal with that :confused:
lol you need to cheer up quite a few will just like the simple things.

Anyway mine are

1. Good sense of humor
2. Average in looks - not too beautiful as most people I know like that tend to spend so much time well just styling themselves and just excessively doing their hair and checking their reflection :facepalm2: lool
3. Keen to learn/ interested in education and filling up their brains with knowledge
4.Faithful/ someone you can be open/honest with
5. Believes in God since I think the relationship would be would be really difficult if he accept or at least understood my beliefs :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending