The Student Room Group

Medicine at Masaryk University in Brno (Czech Republic)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 128arin
thanks alot this really helped me out!! by the way how is the university atmosphere and the city itself?

The students on the English course are from all over the world and they are generally friendly and help each other out. There's usually always something to do in Brno, one party or the other. The erasmus students are usually partying most weekends, so you can always go to their parties. I'm not really into the party scene, but if that's your thing, then you should be quite satisfied here.
Reply 41
Original post by Bunicornaces
The students on the English course are from all over the world and they are generally friendly and help each other out. There's usually always something to do in Brno, one party or the other. The erasmus students are usually partying most weekends, so you can always go to their parties. I'm not really into the party scene, but if that's your thing, then you should be quite satisfied here.

Hi, i'm also not 'into the party scene' and i'm teetotal, will that be ok or will i face problems? also, what holidays do you get? thanks :smile:
Original post by rainbowsxyz
Hi, i'm also not 'into the party scene' and i'm teetotal, will that be ok or will i face problems? also, what holidays do you get? thanks :smile:

I'm a teetotaler as well and I haven't had any problems. The longest holidays are Christmas and then summer. We don't really get half terms or anything like that, but you can always visit home on some weekends. We don't have easter holidays either. For example, we only have next week monday off and that's it. The length of your Christmas and summer holidays depend on when you book your exams. If you book your exams for early dates, then you can go home early and have a longer holiday than those who book their exams for a later time.
(edited 11 years ago)
HI wanted to ask, i've booked in for the exam for Dentistry. I just wanted to make sure that the course is accredited by the GDC, I know it says it on the site and stuff but is there any conformation from the GDC from their site that the Mddr degree is accepted here in the UK? Also what is the procedure, if god willing, you do graduate? Do you complete DF1 and DF2 here in the UK or have to undergo training years in Czech? Also for U.K candidates, is there an actual guarantee that this degree will make us able to practice here? The U.K are participating in the elcetion/referendum in 2015 to still be part of U.K, I know a lot of people here are against being part of the EU and as a result the degree may actually be useless here in the UK by the time you graduate. Just thinking of these problems so that I dont face them in the future.
Original post by Bunicornaces
I'm a teetotaler as well and I haven't had any problems. The longest holidays are Christmas and then summer. We don't really get half terms or anything like that, but you can always visit home on some weekends. We don't have easter holidays either. For example, we only have next week monday off and that's it. The length of your Christmas and summer holidays depend on when you book your exams. If you book your exams for early dates, then you can go home early and have a longer holiday than those who book their exams for a later time.

Hey there dude, how much does the cost come to per year. That's everything, including course costs, accomodation, living costs (e.g food,clothes) and travel. Thank you.
Original post by Kalim Smith
Hey there dude, how much does the cost come to per year. That's everything, including course costs, accomodation, living costs (e.g food,clothes) and travel. Thank you.

There really is no definite answer to this question, because the cost of living would definitely vary from person to person. However, i'll just give you a rough draft of the costs. All the values are rounded up, so the actual cost might be slightly less.

-School fees for a year = £8166 (you can pay this in 2 installments. 1st installment in the 1st semester and the 2nd installment in the 2nd semester. Both installments are exactly half of the total fees).

-Rent for a month (if you're living in halls) = £130 (there's usually a £5 -£8 difference from month to month)

- Bus & tram pass for 3 months = £23 (so about £92 for the whole year, but obviously you will be spending 2-3 months on holiday (depending on how long your holiday is), so it's going to be less than £92 for the whole year)

- Groceries for a month would really depend on the person and how much you eat, but I almost never spend more than £30 for a month's groceries, even if I go shopping multiple times.

- Any other costs would depend on the individual. So maybe an extra £50pm to spend on whatever you want.

(PS, i'm a woman).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Np18
I know what you mean about wanting to fund yourself! I'm thinking of looking into graduate loans etc just to see if i can borrow what i need! I think this fear and doubt is normal just because its such a big change!

I don't intend on doing anything over the weekend either lol! Oo yes thanks! I'll keep those unis in mind in case i need them come october! :smile:

I want to go on the course but an extra £1950 is holding me back! I'm 22

I am filling the form out atm, it suggested on one of the documents to send a photocopy of our A-level certificates too, did you do that aswel?

Not the best way to spend the Easter Monday filling out a long form! ha
Reply 47
Original post by dent89
I am filling the form out atm, it suggested on one of the documents to send a photocopy of our A-level certificates too, did you do that aswel?

Not the best way to spend the Easter Monday filling out a long form! ha

lol yes i sent GCSE, A-level and university transcripts and certificate just so they have everything they need! It looks longer than it is only took a few mins to do but i found most of the form didn't apply to me lol
Original post by dent89
Just notice are you from Northamptonshire?! My neck of the woods! lol

Have you sen toff your application?

Holy molyyy I'm from Northampton too!!!
Original post by rainbowsxyz
oh great! I'm hoping to do Medicine :biggrin:
I won't be going for halls, most likely private accommodation lol, I don't like how they cram 4-6 people in one room at uni halls :eek:
how about you?

I'm applying for Dentistry!

I know and the thought of sharing a bathroom doesn't appeal either, defo private accom for me lol
Reply 50
Northamptonshire folk are all off to Czech to become dentists and medics by the sounds of it lol
Reply 51
Original post by Np18
lol yes i sent GCSE, A-level and university transcripts and certificate just so they have everything they need! It looks longer than it is only took a few mins to do but i found most of the form didn't apply to me lol

I still havent completed the form! ha I was wondering could you sent me a link to the practice questions so I can see if nearly £2000 is worth the revision course?

Have you applied before to abroad or the UK?
Reply 52
Original post by dent89
I still havent completed the form! ha I was wondering could you sent me a link to the practice questions so I can see if nearly £2000 is worth the revision course?

Have you applied before to abroad or the UK?

Oh no lol when are you thinking of sending it? I've just sent off the final payment :smile:

Here's a link for the exam questions on the website http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1381

I've been told the model questions are the better ones to look at lol

This is my first time applying abroad, I decided after the Oct deadline that i wanted to apply hence why instead of doing nothing for another year i thought to apply abroad! I only applied once for the UK after a levels so may try again this coming oct but i'm not sure! Have you applied to the UK?
Reply 53
Original post by Np18
Oh no lol when are you thinking of sending it? I've just sent off the final payment :smile:

Here's a link for the exam questions on the website http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1381

I've been told the model questions are the better ones to look at lol

This is my first time applying abroad, I decided after the Oct deadline that i wanted to apply hence why instead of doing nothing for another year i thought to apply abroad! I only applied once for the UK after a levels so may try again this coming oct but i'm not sure! Have you applied to the UK?

Final payment? With the application I thought you just sent the £250? You send a photocopy of your passport too?

Ahh awesome cheers will have a glance at it tomorrow, have a fresh start at some preparation.

Yeah I applied for the first time last year for 2013 entry, I applied to dentistry but only had one interview at Leeds. I got rejected after the interview and couldn't believe it. :frown: I have requested feedback becuase i had the same answers as another applicant but he got in and i was rejected. So i doubt there was much in it.

Do you work atm?
Reply 54
Hi bunicorncases,

Is the course hard?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Also how many asian and black people are in the uni?
Original post by Dr H
Hi bunicorncases,

Is the course hard? Also how many asian and black people are in the uni?

It's medicine/dentistry, what do you expect? If you get in, they are not just going to hand you a degree after 6 years, without hard work and dedication. You have to work for it. If you don't, you will fail out or have to repeat. Like I said i'm in the second semester(1st year) and after the first semester, a few students did not carry on to the 2nd semester and that is how it usually is from semester to semester, students drop out. It is incredibly easy to fall behind because of the work load and that's probably the worse thing that you can do, because it is very difficult to catch up if you do fall behind.

There are quite a bit of Asian students and fewer black students in my year. I don't know how many there are in the medical faculty or the whole of Masaryk university.
Reply 57
Can you tell me how and when did you apply? Masaryk is my first option but all the exams clash with my A-level exam? Masaryk don't offer any exams in JUL/AUG?????which is a shame ):
Reply 58
Original post by dent89
Final payment? With the application I thought you just sent the £250? You send a photocopy of your passport too?

Ahh awesome cheers will have a glance at it tomorrow, have a fresh start at some preparation.

Yeah I applied for the first time last year for 2013 entry, I applied to dentistry but only had one interview at Leeds. I got rejected after the interview and couldn't believe it. :frown:

Do you work atm?

Yes but you have to pay £1950 admin fee before the exam and i thought i may as well pay it now rather than leave it then forget and turn up at the exam like a lemon lol yes i sent a photocopy of my passport although once you send the app with £250 they send you a few more forms and an invoice for the £1950 payments and there's a passport detail section

ahh that's such a shame especially as you got an interview! hopefully the feedback will be helpful! Yes i am working atm trying to save up as much as poss you?
Reply 59
Original post by Np18
Yes but you have to pay £1950 admin fee before the exam and i thought i may as well pay it now rather than leave it then forget and turn up at the exam like a lemon lol yes i sent a photocopy of my passport although once you send the app with £250 they send you a few more forms and an invoice for the £1950 payments and there's a passport detail section

ahh that's such a shame especially as you got an interview! hopefully the feedback will be helpful! Yes i am working atm trying to save up as much as poss you?

Ahh brilliant, I will get that sent off today ( was supposed to have it sent off Monday). :s-smilie: ha never mind!

I spoke to a friend and he recommended going on the course again, just for a week he said it would be worth it. Instead of wasting time revising around all areas they can train you up within a week to the passing standard. Just thought I would mention that.

Yeah I do some auditing...sucks big time lol Will you go over to Czech to look around at the University?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending