The Student Room Group

Can you truly express yourself to 140 characters?

Scroll to see replies

April fools?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well personally I think you probably can't, I can't bear to be subject to such an arbitrary number and therefore to be cut off in mid senten

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No. When limited character usage, can't display full thought. If can get opinion in 140 characters then don't have worthwhile opinion.

Despite my slip up of several posts, people are generally sticking to it here & the discussion is going extremely well.
Original post by RK
Despite my slip up of several posts, people are generally sticking to it here & the discussion is going extremely well.

True, however as I showed you do need to go yorkshire accent at times to save characters.
Does quoting people count to the character limit?
As someone from Yorkshire, I think going Yorkshire more often is a good thing...
I don't. Lived up there for two years (originally a midlander), I miss the. The was a nice word.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The was a nice word.

t' is a much better one!
Short, to t'point, + u save breath 4 other uses :smile:
Reply 26
This is a very good idea. I mean, what idea needs more than 140 characters to be expressed? It's not as if you're going to be cut off mid-
Reply 27
Seeing as you copied the 140 char limit, how about implementing Twttr too.
#amazing #thebest
Reply 29
Original post by greeneyedgirl
But succinctness is a skill that we all must learn. Take haikus, they express a lot with only a little.

There is a reason why haikus are not the main form of expression. Besides what exactly is "a lot". All I can see is nothingness in the absence of lines. Is nothingness a lot?
Original post by Juichiro
Is nothingness a lot?

Nothingness is everything.
It sounds like an interesting prospect. But as can be seen from Youtube (which also has a character limit) people will end up making multiple
(edited 11 years ago)
posts to explain one point like I'm doing now.
Original post by Ice Constricter
posts to explain one point like I'm doing now.

Personally I see the strength of someone's debate in how succinct they are.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
Original post by Captain Jack
Personally I see the strength of someone's debate in how succinct they are.

Why?
I'm sure I've seen posts in this section longer than 140 characters.
Reply 36
Original post by The Epicurean
April fools?

Damn. I think you might be right. I was taken in.
Original post by Sephiroth
I'm sure I've seen posts in this section longer than 140 characters.

Yes, and it is quite simple really to write a message over 140 characters. This is only a temporary feature for April Fools and thus they haven't fully checked it for any faults. There is a way around the character limit as you can see from my post :colone:

Original post by Norton1
Damn. I think you might be right. I was taken in.

haha, I think quite a few people have been taken in :mmm: It was a good trick :lol:
Original post by The Epicurean
Yes, and it is quite simple really to write a message over 140 characters. This is only a temporary feature for April Fools and thus they haven't fully checked it for any faults. There is a way around the character limit as you can see from my post :colone:

haha, I think quite a few people have been taken in :mmm: It was a good trick :lol:

Yeah I know how to get around it but I didn't want to break the limit to post that.

I don't think it's a terrible idea to be fair. I don't have time to read some of the essays some people write.
Reply 39
Yes. It just takes a bit of nouse and the ability to quite literally cut the crap. :biggrin:

<3 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending