The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Help me out with some advice UWE peepssss

Basically I need some help in regards to UWE. I went to the open day yesterday (23rd March) and really liked the accommodation and the city of Bristol, seemed like a lot to do. :tongue:

However, the facilities on the Frenchay Campus that I saw seemed a bit dated and the exterior of the buildings seemed like they needed a lick of paint and the Student Union seemed a bit dead; I was just wondering if this is an accurate reflection of the university as a whole.

Also, I am not too sure about where to apply for accommodation. The SV is incredibly modern but getting into the city centre seems to be a bit of a trek to get to . This is a problem for me as I want to be in a lively environment with other students with the same mentality who care about their studies but are also up for a good time. I know people will suggest looking at Marketgate, but the idea of staying on campus where my lectures and other learning facilities are located and has been a consistent factor that I've looked into when deciding upon which unis to apply to. Also with the Marketgate accommodation you do not get the gym membership option which is important to me :redface: lol.

In terms of nightlife as well... What types of music are most popular, I'm a major fan of R'n'B, D'n'B, Hip-Hop and HOUSE. Would I fit in at Bristol?

Ahh, sorry about the rant I'm just so nervous about making the decision of where to go for Uni. Please if I can get some replies and advice it will be much appreciated from current or prospective students; as someone from a completely different city and region of the UK I am nervous about moving to a completely new city where I know nobody.:confused:

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends which accommodation you're talking about, the big flats in Student Village are really modern and nice! Carol Court - in my opinion it's not as nice. I've been to the SU on an actual night and it wasn't dead at all, it was pretty good. You have to remember that the university tends to be busier on weekdays rather than weekends!
Student Village is very good because everyone predrinks together and it's really easy to meet other people because everyone there is a first year and probably in the same situation as you! Everyone gets taxis together so it works out quite cheap and I know that on the way back people end up sharing taxis to Frenchay so it's cheaper. To be honest, when you're drunk you don't really notice the taxi ride, it goes by quickly!

I would suggest living in SV for your first year then living in the city centre afterwards? That's what my friend has done and he loves it :smile:
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
And Bristol is huge, there are so many different clubs! You'll definitely find somewhere that plays your type of music. I think Dorma and Pam Pam play R'n'B and hip hop?
Reply 3
Original post by lzbthx
It depends which accommodation you're talking about, the big flats in Student Village are really modern and nice! Carol Court - in my opinion it's not as nice. I've been to the SU on an actual night and it wasn't dead at all, it was pretty good. You have to remember that the university tends to be busier on weekdays rather than weekends!
Student Village is very good because everyone predrinks together and it's really easy to meet other people because everyone there is a first year and probably in the same situation as you! Everyone gets taxis together so it works out quite cheap and I know that on the way back people end up sharing taxis to Frenchay so it's cheaper. To be honest, when you're drunk you don't really notice the taxi ride, it goes by quickly!

I would suggest living in SV for your first year then living in the city centre afterwards? That's what my friend has done and he loves it :smile:

Thanks for this, can I ask what course you're doing there & where you live (I'm assuming you attend the uni seen as you have so much info about it).
Reply 4
UWE's ace. I have no complaints.

Lots of house/techno/dubstep/DnB places. But I know little about RnB so no comment there.

The union is a bit crappy but it definitely isn't quiet. Come back on a Friday night or come to Escape on Tuesday when it's like 1.20 drinks, it's usually packed.

Accommodation gets refurbished and cleaned every year, and the student village is very new and rather brilliant for student accommodation IMO. Access to town is quite easy IMO. Buses are frequent. You can take a taxi with a couple of mates on the way back if you're coming home late. It's not really an issue, but yeah, if that's not working out for you, there are plenty of Unite/CRM halls in town (Private student halls) and there's also Marketgate.
Reply 5
i like the same music as you mate, well depends what sort of house you like as i listen to deep/tech, but yeah there are loads of venues and nights that play each genre, which is one of the reasons i chose bristol. look at clubs like; motion, blue mountain, thelka, dorma, pam pams, exchange, lakota, bunker, syndicate etc.

i'm sure life in the student village is lively aswell, put 4,000 freshers in one environment and you're obviously gonna have some that are up for a good time, although i'm applying for marketgate as i wanna lively place, i'm still not bothered if i get accommodation in the student village as i know that'll still be a good place to live + i'll be able to walk to lectures. also just because you're living at marketgate it doesn't mean you'll be rejected of a gym membership, you are still a student of the uni so you can still pay £180 for a year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah SV accommodation looks the shizz; what about the facilities for the actual courses... Are they of the same quality. as I mentioned in my original post, the exterior to the buildings appear a bit drab but I did not really get the opportunity to look inside the lecture theatres or seminar rooms.

Yeah Rohann, we are defo into the same type of music then lol :tongue:. Deep house is madness! I am considering doing the same thing. Living in Marketgate where everything is on your doorstep will make going out and about in the town much easier as you don't have to worry about finding other people to get a cab with.
However, I am worried that if I do this I'll be late for my lectures on campus and unable to use the library and sports facilities to their full capacity as the last bus leaves the Uni at like 10pm (I think, don't quote me on that)
Reply 7
Original post by Curty95
Yeah SV accommodation looks the shizz; what about the facilities for the actual courses... Are they of the same quality. as I mentioned in my original post, the exterior to the buildings appear a bit drab but I did not really get the opportunity to look inside the lecture theatres or seminar rooms.

Yeah Rohann, we are defo into the same type of music then lol :tongue:. Deep house is madness! I am considering doing the same thing. Living in Marketgate where everything is on your doorstep will make going out and about in the town much easier as you don't have to worry about finding other people to get a cab with.
However, I am worried that if I do this I'll be late for my lectures on campus and unable to use the library and sports facilities to their full capacity as the last bus leaves the Uni at like 10pm (I think, don't quote me on that)

Yeah exactly man, not just for going out at night aswell, like it'll be so much easier living in town if you wanna go for a quick nandos/maccys or something (which is essentially opposite marketgate). My course is on Frenchay aswell, but i'll make sure i'm not late to lectures (unless it's out of my control due to buses), and as for using the library late, if you had an essay in the next morning or something, i'm sure you could chip in for a taxi at like £2 with a few others doing the same. The gym shuts at half 10 anyway on weekdays so i'm sure you could just time your sessions to end at like half 9 or w/e and get the last bus back. There's also gyms in the city which might be bigger/cheaper than the one on campus so should check some of them out aswell man.
Reply 8
Original post by rohannnnn
Yeah exactly man, not just for going out at night aswell, like it'll be so much easier living in town if you wanna go for a quick nandos/maccys or something (which is essentially opposite marketgate). My course is on Frenchay aswell, but i'll make sure i'm not late to lectures (unless it's out of my control due to buses), and as for using the library late, if you had an essay in the next morning or something, i'm sure you could chip in for a taxi at like £2 with a few others doing the same. The gym shuts at half 10 anyway on weekdays so i'm sure you could just time your sessions to end at like half 9 or w/e and get the last bus back. There's also gyms in the city which might be bigger/cheaper than the one on campus so should check some of them out aswell man.

Yeah man, I guess when you look at it from a more rational perspective you are 100% right. But knowing me, I would struggle to get out of bed, eat breakfast, have a shower, get dressed with enough time to get the bus and get to a lecture on time
Reply 9
Original post by Curty95
Yeah man, I guess when you look at it from a more rational perspective you are 100% right. But knowing me, I would struggle to get out of bed, eat breakfast, have a shower, get dressed with enough time to get the bus and get to a lecture on time

Yeah I think the same but I don't even have breakfast before college as it is, I'm sure you could just grab a quick bacon batch or something nearby, which is another benefit of living in the city I guess as I'm sure there's a few little cafes/breakfast places. Also I'm sure all your lectures won't be 9am/10am starts, maybe a couple a week so i'd probably be able to wake myself up for them, if i set bare alarms haha. I applied for accommodation the other day anyway, marketgate first choice and sv second, would rather live in the city but not really arsed if I get sv accommodation tbf, both have strengths and weaknesses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah I think the same but I don't even have breakfast before college as it is, I'm sure you could just grab a quick bacon batch or something nearby, which is another benefit of living in the city I guess as I'm sure there's a few little cafes/breakfast places. Also I'm sure all your lectures won't be 9am/10am starts, maybe a couple a week so i'd probably be able to wake myself up for them, if i set bare alarms haha. I applied for accommodation the other day anyway, marketgate first choice and sv second, would rather live in the city but not really arsed if I get sv accommodation tbf, both have strengths and weaknesses.

****, when did accommodation open?
Reply 11
Original post by Curty95
****, when did accommodation open?

no idea, i didn't even get an email about it, just saw someone on here link it, find your welcome id on the uwe welcome email you would of received a few months ago and then you can apply.

https://apply4accom.uwe.ac.uk/
Reply 12
no idea, i didn't even get an email about it, just saw someone on here link it, find your welcome id on the uwe welcome email you would of received a few months ago and then you can apply.

https://apply4accom.uwe.ac.uk/

Thanks, considering firming UWE in the next couple days :redface:. Still not sure about accommodation though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending