The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinda.college
To be honest I do not understand why Young did not start.

I don't really understand why Kagawa wasn't involved tbh.

Or why Welbeck was taken off.

Or why Cleverley was taken off.

Or why Valencia stayed on.

I just didn't understand much about SAFs decisions today tbh
Reply 2281
Original post by DaveSmith99
At least Van Persie won us the league before he turned to ****

Fair enough but to be honest with our defence improving up after Jan, if our attack would've carried the early season form we could've been looking at a treble, but RVP has missed 2 sitters in the last 2 games I hope he can gather some form so we can set a new PL record because thats all that is left for us now.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Hernandez should have buried his chance too.

True but tbf, at least he was hitting the target. Not sure why we are really struggling to score goals.
At least Van Persie won us the league before he turned to ****

A) stop whining, go support another team if you are crying even tho we've landed the second biggest trophy possible in march, go support chelsea or city if you are so upset about the cup you gotta make attacks on our best player.

b) Van Persie didn't 'win' us the league, the whole team did.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cutdiamond
A) stop whining, go support another team if you are crying even tho we've landed the second biggest trophy possible in march, go support chelsea or city if you are so upset about the cup you gotta make attacks on our best player.

Don't take the comment so literally mate
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2285
Original post by Tommyjw

Cleverley was absolutely horrible?
Original post by Cutdiamond

You go support another team if you don't care that we've just been knocked out of the FA cup, a competition that we haven't won since 2004. Just because he's a good player does not mean he's above criticism.

We barely even had a defence at the start of the season and were only winning games because Robin was scoring for fun. I know its a team game, but I'd say that Van Persie's form at the start of the season was the single biggest contributing factor. It was just a throwaway comment really, no need to read so deeply into it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw

Valencia was poor but who would you shift to right back, Jones was needed to stop Chelsea creative three, Smalling is better at centre back imo. Cleverley was starting to look frustrated but without him/Rooney we don't seem to drive enough in the center.
The issue here is that our midfield 4 are atrocious compared to other top teams. Apart from carrick, its an average midfield playing in an overall above average team-does not fit in! Compare our midfield with other midfield in europe, you just know we are one of the worst. It shows in big games. It is just that our striking options makes up for the average midfield. Chelsea actually have a more complete squad of quality throughout their squad. we have extreme quality in striking options then average midfield so overall they balance out. But again, in big games the midfield will always be found out. Pressure carrick a little and you got control of game. Cleverley is average, giggs cant do what he does everygame, young is average, valencia and nani are just out of their zones because of injuries, scholes and flethcer are basicly finished.

So in the summer, if we get decent united quality brought in in terms of midfielders, and one LEFT sided winger-then I will be talking about winning the treble. At present, Our attack is sorted, midfield not, and defence getting there.

Don't kid yourself if you thought we were going to win champions league, maybe the fa cup-but if we fix our team in the midfield then talk about the treble. Happy with the league considering our team.
(edited 11 years ago)
Did anyone else here Evra say ****ing Hell towards the end?

Also I think Valencia missed Rafael today, together they are able to control the right flank so much however, Hazard was pretty much running the wings today.
Original post by samiz20891
Valencia was poor but who would you shift to right back, Jones was needed to stop Chelsea creative three, Smalling is better at centre back imo. Cleverley should have stayed on but was starting to look frustrated but without him/Rooney we don't seem to drive enough in the center.

Jones or Smalling at RB. Both are atleast as good defensively (and Smalling is better) and Jones is better offensively.

Jones is only good in midfield when he has proper sit back and defend type defensive duties to do, not ones where we will be attacking as much as or more than they do (in theory), his positioning isn't good enough for an actual midfield role and his passing, whilst accurate, isn't creative enough, and it showed all over the place when he wasn't where he should be and Hazard/Mata had space in abundance.

Also I think Valencia missed Rafael today, together they are able to control the right flank so much however, Hazard was pretty much running the wings today.

Valencia hasn't controlled anything all season, with or without Rafael.
Did anyone else here Evra say ****ing Hell towards the end?

Yeah Evra definitely said ****ing hell, when the ball went out for a Chelsea throw in. I think the problem Valencia has is he doesnt have the confidence to cross first time, he always seems to stop and look for a pass to the midfield which slows down our tempo.
Aye, no complaints really. We were ****, deserved nothing. The fact that we've gone 10 years without winning the FA Cup is largely due to SAF's team selections - not sure our line up sent the right message or had the right balance today, like in some ties in the past.

Then again, we lost the tie at home, shouldn't have wasted a 2-0 lead. You're always leaving yourself with too much to do if you expect to go to places like SB to get the job done. As poor as Chelsea have been under Rafa, I wasn't optimistic at all before this match.

Kind of day we miss Rooney. The way he controls the tempo further up the pitch for us is understated, needed someone to link up the midfield and attack. Also missed Rafael, our best RB by quite some distance now and offers so much impetus when we attack. Not to mention that extra bite those two add. It's not say much but Young is our best winger atm. One-dimensional he is, but at least you can trust him to get the ball from point A to B. Nani was shocking, Valencia slightly better.
Valencia hasn't controlled anything all season, with or without Rafael.

I realise this however, the last time I saw Valencia play well was because he was able to work off Rafael and enjoy their partnership. It seems on his own he doesn't have the creativity and flare to get past players and deliver those deadly crosses he was once known for.
Nani continuously frustrates me ! He couldn't pass , he couldn't take anyone on , he was just awful. Just hope we can beat City on Monday and wrap this title up , if someone would have said at the beginning of the year that we'd win the league I would have been very happy . We are a good side and today just wasn't our day but keep battling reds
Pretty poor game overall tbh. Cleverly was typically English, all effort no skill. Hernandez was trying to do too much, Welbeck was as always let down by his control and isolated it cost pretty often, Valencia did next to nothing, Nani was okay but a bit too flash and as always wasteful with set pieces, (not making it past the first man or over the wall is unforgivable). Jones just looked clumsy all game.
Do united have sport psychiatrists for Nani, Valencia, young and Van persie or even the whole squad(after that real madrid game)?
I mean the mental part of football plays a huge part doing good on the pitch or not. If you have the right mentality, you feel like you can d anything. They are physically up there, but the mind is not quite there and it takes long time to come to that level. You can speed that time process by manager encouraging you or alternatively get a sport psychiatrist.

I know it my sound iffy, but every little helps!
Original post by samiz20891
Yeah Evra definitely said ****ing hell, when the ball went out for a Chelsea throw in. I think the problem Valencia has is he doesnt have the confidence to cross first time, he always seems to stop and look for a pass to the midfield which slows down our tempo.

Yeah, and slowing down the game is the worst thing when our team strives on the counter-attack down the wings. SAF needs to definitely needs to rectify this problem otherwise we will not be able to score goals and win games. To be honest we did not look 100% today, the misunderstanding between Evra and Young, Hernandez not taking his first chance on his left foot, RVP missing that last chance and Nani/Valencia both being poor. The only positive was Welback's determination to push forward.
Reply 2299
My viewpoint

- Nani had a shocking game in general, his passing was off, he didn't look THAT dangerous going forward, but then again, I don't think anyone was particulary outstanding in that aspect, Welbeck yet again looking our main threat.

- Phil Jones is looking a more complete player the more he plays, can't remember the last time he had a bad game

- Did anyone notice how badly Evra was out of position today? I caught him in central midfield on at least 3 separate occasions in the 2nd half...

Was just mediocre again from us, completely outplayed and it's like that Real game just pulverised all the energy out of us!

(De Gea stays trolling Mata lol, he just can't score past him)

Latest