The Student Room Group

I got rejected from sixth form, but I have the grades I need to get in!

Hi, basically to I should have had my sixth form interview but I didn't and everyone else did in my year and I asked the teacher why this is and he said because they think that I might not get the grades and they said that I might not get in or I might which is total bullcrap because I know someone who got all F's in his GCSE's and he got in but he has to do resits to a C and my school said that I need 6 C or above and they also accept BTEC.

My grades are:
English lit and language = C
French B/C
Business and communication systems = A/B
BTEC Health and Social Care(Double) = Distinction/Distinction*
BTEC Science = Distinction/Distinction*
Turkish = A
ICT = B
Maths = D
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it possible for you to apply to any other 6th forms? If not you could try convincing your teachers that you can do it again, I am sure if they beleive that you will work hard to achieve the neccesary grades they may reconsider your application. And if worst comes to the worst and they say no, work extra hard to get the grades and then you can reapply next year :smile: Good luck!
It's probably the maths grade?
Reply 3
I think it's the D in maths, most sixth forms and colleges only accept you if you have grades A-C in maths, English and usually science.
Reply 4
Original post by daemonium
I think it's the D in maths, most sixth forms and colleges only accept you if you have grades A-C in maths, English and usually science.

It shouldn't be though, I will do resits in sixth form and I have a Maths exam in June and I think I will get my C, but my friend who has F's in GCSE's including maths and Science got accepted, but he has a C in English, and they don't him that he will have to do resits to get a C in Maths and Science in sixth form, and also I am starting to think that they are starting to discriminate me because I am foreign and my friend is British, and everyone single British person got interviewed first in my school.
Appeal?
Ask for feedback why you were declined?
Your reference? E.G - How is your behaviour, general punctuality, attendance?
Entry requirements for specific subjects? E.G some subjects require C minimum in Maths/English but would much prefer A*-B

Gotta give yourself a long hard stare in the mirror and ask yourself why.
Reply 6
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Appeal?
Ask for feedback why you were declined?
Your reference? E.G - How is your behaviour, general punctuality, attendance?
Entry requirements for specific subjects? E.G some subjects require C minimum in Maths/English but would much prefer A*-B

Gotta give yourself a long hard stare in the mirror and ask yourself why.

I behave very well and I get outstanding on my reports on behaviour and my attendance is 98.4% and they want six A-C including english and maths but when I asked them if they would accept me a D in maths they said yes in december, but why me OUT OF 450 PEOPLE?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Speak to the Head of Sixth Form and don't let them play you around. Ask why and argue for yourself :P Don't be rude or anything just give reasons (use your friend as an example for comparison) why you think they're wrong for not accepting you. :biggrin: Try to come to an agreement :smile:
Most Sixth Forms want C's in English and Maths, but many give options to resit. :tongue:
Make sure to work real hard on Maths and show the teachers your improvements if necessary. You can do this! :P
Also apply to other Sixth Forms if you can so you have a backup. :wink:

I hope it works out well for you. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lexxaa
Speak to the Head of Sixth Form and don't let them play you around. Ask why and argue for yourself :P Don't be rude or anything just give reasons (use your friend as an example for comparison) why you think they're wrong for not accepting you. :biggrin: Try to come to an agreement :smile:
Most Sixth Forms want C's in English and Maths, but many give options to resit. :tongue:
Make sure to work real hard on Maths and show the teachers your improvements if necessary. You can do this! :P
Also apply to other Sixth Forms if you can so you have a backup. :wink:

I hope it works out well for you. :biggrin:

Thanks that really cheered me up! :biggrin: But I don't want to go to other sixth forms because they aren't really that good and my sixth is the only one who has medical science, which I want do! And I have also started revising for Maths and I revise everyday from 6-8pm and sometimes like yesterday I revised from 12am to 2am, thats how much I am determined to get my C in maths.
Reply 9
Original post by sully50sully
Thanks that really cheered me up! :biggrin: But I don't want to go to other sixth forms because they aren't really that good and my sixth is the only one who has medical science, which I want do! And I have also started revising for Maths and I revise everyday from 6-8pm and sometimes like yesterday I revised from 12am to 2am, thats how much I am determined to get my C in maths.

All you need to do is speak to them, and fight for your place (not literally :P ). My head of Sixth Form is really nice and she gave everyone a place, except for one person, but he doesn't have the requirements :P
Most people from my school aren't going sixth form anyway, and I am glad :biggrin:

But, you deserve to go, because obviously you're trying hard. Just show them that. They don't seem extremely demanding with their requirements so just make sure you meet them. :tongue:

Good Luck :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Lexxaa
All you need to do is speak to them, and fight for your place (not literally :P ). My head of Sixth Form is really nice and she gave everyone a place, except for one person, but he doesn't have the requirements :P
Most people from my school aren't going sixth form anyway, and I am glad :biggrin:

But, you deserve to go, because obviously you're trying hard. Just show them that. They don't seem extremely demanding with their requirements so just make sure you meet them. :tongue:

Good Luck :wink:

Ok thanks, but do you think they will accept me with a D in maths, my friend got an F, and I will do resits to get the C in maths because the university wants a C too so.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's probably the maths grade?

I got an F in Maths and still got in to all the courses I wanted to do at sixth form. Could it be anything else apart from grades? Is your attendance bad etc? Your teachers give references to your sixth form normally and they were iffy about letting me in 'cause I had quite bad attendance in high school.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by MedSeth
Is it possible for you to apply to any other 6th forms? If not you could try convincing your teachers that you can do it again, I am sure if they beleive that you will work hard to achieve the neccesary grades they may reconsider your application. And if worst comes to the worst and they say no, work extra hard to get the grades and then you can reapply next year :smile: Good luck!

I agree with MedSeth, that can sometimes be the case. Also this could provide you with some extra motivation for the summer to prove them wrong :wink:
Reply 13
Ok thanks, but do you think they will accept me with a D in maths, my friend got an F, and I will do resits to get the C in maths because the university wants a C too so.

First of all, nobody is accepted until results day :P You friend may have got an offer on the condition that he/she will improve that F by resitting it.
Just study for your resit :P If they offered them a place with an F in Maths, they shouldn't deny you one even if you have a D. Just make a "deal" with them. :wink:
Your attendance and behavior seem fine, so I don't say any other reason why they wouldn't accept you. :biggrin:
What A levels did you pick, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 14
Original post by danielaandrea
I got an F in Maths and still got in to all the courses I wanted to do at sixth form. Could it be anything else apart from grades? Is your attendance bad etc? Your teachers give references to your sixth form normally and they were iffy about letting me in 'cause I had quite bad attendance in high school.

Hi, my attendance is very good, it's 98.4% and I get outstanding on my reports and stuff, I am starting to thing it's discrimination because at my school every single british person GOT INTERVIEWED FIRST then it was foreign people...
Reply 15
Original post by Lexxaa
First of all, nobody is accepted until results day :P You friend may have got an offer on the condition that he/she will improve that F by resitting it.
Just study for your resit :P If they offered them a place with an F in Maths, they shouldn't deny you one even if you have a D. Just make a "deal" with them. :wink:
Your attendance and behavior seem fine, so I don't say any other reason why they wouldn't accept you. :biggrin:
What A levels did you pick, if you don't mind me asking?

I picked Medical Science, Health and Social Care and ICT
I picked Medical Science, Health and Social Care and ICT

Did any of those have specific additional entry requirements, e.g. minimum of GCSE double science BB/ minimum of GCSE Maths B etc.
They are not allowed to discriminate against you for being foreign, unless you are out of catchment - i.e. are currently boarding at secondary school. They don't have to consider out of catchment applications until they have looked through and decided who to give offers/ rejections to for all of those who were in catchment.
Phone them up to ask why you were rejected, specifically mentioning that you were told before applying that your Maths D would not be a problem. However, think back - did they say that the Maths D would not be a problem in terms of you getting an interview, or that if you resat and the grade improved before the end of the year it would not be a problem? Have you entered for a resit? Do they know this? Are your teachers predicting that you will get a D overall even with resitting in June? They may have misunderstood what you meant about the D when you asked about it.
Also, perhaps bear in mind that with your current GCSE grades an academic sixth form would probably not suit you. Have you looked into other, more vocational, options? There are plenty of apprenticeships/ vocational courses/ on-the-job training available if you look - ask your school careers department for some advice.
I behave very well and I get outstanding on my reports on behaviour and my attendance is 98.4% and they want six A-C including english and maths but when I asked them if they would accept me a D in maths they said yes in december, but why me OUT OF 450 PEOPLE?!

Maybe other people applied who achieved better grades. The only way you'll find out for sure is if you ask.
Reply 18
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Did any of those have specific additional entry requirements, e.g. minimum of GCSE double science BB/ minimum of GCSE Maths B etc.
They are not allowed to discriminate against you for being foreign, unless you are out of catchment - i.e. are currently boarding at secondary school. They don't have to consider out of catchment applications until they have looked through and decided who to give offers/ rejections to for all of those who were in catchment.
Phone them up to ask why you were rejected, specifically mentioning that you were told before applying that your Maths D would not be a problem. However, think back - did they say that the Maths D would not be a problem in terms of you getting an interview, or that if you resat and the grade improved before the end of the year it would not be a problem? Have you entered for a resit? Do they know this? Are your teachers predicting that you will get a D overall even with resitting in June? They may have misunderstood what you meant about the D when you asked about it.
Also, perhaps bear in mind that with your current GCSE grades an academic sixth form would probably not suit you. Have you looked into other, more vocational, options? There are plenty of apprenticeships/ vocational courses/ on-the-job training available if you look - ask your school careers department for some advice.

They want a pass/C for the subject that you wish to do at A-Levels and they also said that a D in maths is not a problem but I would have to resit it in sixth form which I am very happy doing, and 3 of friends got the exact same grades as me but they had a E in English and Maths and they got accepted but they are British. I also need my A-Levels to go to university.
I really don't think race has anything to do with this OP unless there's any significant language barrier and you seem to be able to communicate fine on here.

Quick Reply

Latest