The Student Room Group

GCSE exams in May/June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midnight1811
whats so good about these ?isn't it best to actually know the content then go over the past papers?

Yeah I should've explained a bit more... I just find them a good way to test yourself in exam time conditions and see if you know the content well enough to be able to answer them...but yeah its just a way to see how good your revision is, I agree you need to know content as the top priority! :smile:
Reply 221
Anybody have any advice on how to study Geography.
I learn all of the case studies then forget them the next day! Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my summer exam timetable through today. I only have 2 because I'm in Year 9. :s-smilie: I have my Maths GCSE and a retake of Health and Social Care. I don't need to revise for H&SC but I will start revising for Maths now, as I'm pretty bad at it. :colondollar:
Everyone has so few exams... I have 23 :eek:
Reply 224
14 for me. One is functional skills though. So 13 actual GCSE exams.
Reply 225

Everyone how are you revising and any tips and how long per day?

Many thanks
Reply 226
I have 7 exams:
2 English Lit
2 Maths
2 Biology
1 Geography

For English Literature, I'm doing OMaM, LotF and Blood Brothers. For LotF I have created a set of quote flashcards for the free app Brainscape, if anyone wants them just ask and I'll send them over. I'll get round to doing some for the other books soonish.

For learning case studies for geography, my usual technique is to use the Dominic or Major systems to encode all of the numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I have 7 exams:
2 English Lit
2 Maths
2 Biology
1 Geography

For English Literature, I'm doing OMaM, LotF and Blood Brothers. For LotF I have created a set of quote flashcards for the free app Brainscape, if anyone wants them just ask and I'll send them over. I'll get round to doing some for the other books soonish.

For learning case studies for geography, my usual technique is to use the Dominic or Major systems to encode all of the numbers.how would you revise for endlish lit ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would revise for English lit ? I'M doing animal farm and romeo and juliet its aqa
Original post by Midnight1811
whats so good about these ?isn't it best to actually know the content then go over the past papers?

Past Papers allow you to practice your exam technique and get use to question s set by the exam boards so you know what to expect and you can learn the content from them through looking at the Mark Schemes and finding out where you went wrong and you can learn the content in the exact way that the exam boards will assess it.Past Papers are the best revision probably above core revision learning but that is still necessary to do the papers.
I have 10
English Literature
Maths (unless I got an A in march)
Biology
Chemistry
2 History (one being a re-sit)
German
GCSE PE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 230
I have 18 exams from May 14th- June 17th. All AQA except classics, which is OCR.

Science- 6, additional and triple
Classics- 3
History- 2 (International Relations and 20thC depth studies)
Maths- 2
Textiles- 1
English- 1 lang, 2 lit (OMaM, An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Great Expectations)
Spanish- 1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 231
I have:

13th May - RS Philosophy and Applied Ethics - B603 - OCR
17th May - Citizenship Studies - OCR
17th May - Spanish Listening & Reading - AQA
20th May - English Literature - Understanding Prose (Animal Farm & OMAM) - Edexcel
23rd May - English Literature - Understanding Poetry (Relationships) - Edexcel
24th May - Music - AQA
5th June - Additional Maths/FSMQ - OCR
10th June - Additional Science Biology - Edexcel
11th June - Maths non-calc - Edexcel
14th June - Maths calc - Edexcel

14th June - Philosophy and Applied Ethics - B601/B602 - OCR
19th June - History - Protest, Law and Order - Edexcel

I'm unsure of whether I'm doing the Maths as I did it last year and got a mid A grade, so I'd only be doing it to get an A* (but it will be a low priority!)

9/11 exams
I have 14 exams this summer, so it's going to be a stressful time haha

French Reading & Listening WJEC
Sociology - 3 papers OCR
English Lit - 2 papers AQA
English Language AQA
Citizenship OCR
History 2 papers - Crime & Punishment, Elizabeth and the Suffragettes OCR
Biology, Chemistry and Physics OCR 21st century

Anyone doing the same exams? I've already started revising frantically, good luck to everyone!
23 exams, started revising around the mocks but proper revision started this easter
Reply 234
I have 10 exams (I suppose that's not too bad compared to other people!)
Seriously worried about my Additional maths/ FSMQ (OCR) exam because so far I'm still on a U!:angry:
Started proper revision this Easter but timetables don't really work for me so I'm just doing random subjects depending on what mood I'm in.

How long are you guys revising for each day?
Hey everyone :smile: What exams have you got coming up after this easter?? Any resits?

Have you started revising yet for them? How often do you revise & for how long per revision ression? - Any revision tips?

Im taking my Fine Art exam on april 28th- only just started sketchbook prep, IM SCREWWED. are any of you reading this doing your art exam in april too? i have not even touched a maths or science book yet!

Also how did you all do in the January exams?
Reply 236
Original post by CaraNicole_
I have 14 exams this summer, so it's going to be a stressful time haha

French Reading & Listening WJEC
Sociology - 3 papers OCR
English Lit - 2 papers AQA
English Language AQA
Citizenship OCR
History 2 papers - Crime & Punishment, Elizabeth and the Suffragettes OCR
Biology, Chemistry and Physics OCR 21st century

Anyone doing the same exams? I've already started revising frantically, good luck to everyone!

Hi i am the same board as you for Spanish and English Language how are you revising for them?
Reply 237
Original post by ellie--may
Hey everyone :smile: What exams have you got coming up after this easter?? Any resits?

Have you started revising yet for them? How often do you revise & for how long per revision ression? - Any revision tips?

Im taking my Fine Art exam on april 28th- only just started sketchbook prep, IM SCREWWED. are any of you reading this doing your art exam in april too? i have not even touched a maths or science book yet!

Also how did you all do in the January exams?

Well I've got 6 science exams, 2 English Lit, 1 English Lang 3 History (1 resit), 2 French, 1 PE 1 IGCSE English 1 maths and my final performing arts exam on May 3rd

Haven't started revising much I'm still writing up notes but I learn by writing so it's still be revised really and never had any January exams, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive got 1 Science, 1 art, 2 philosophy, 2 maths, So not that many really compared to everyone else! But i am in y10, so i will have way more next summer :frown:(
Yes, i had 3 exams in January- 2 philosphy: i got 96/100 (max UMS- A*) with both combined. I had one science exam (unit 5) Core. I dont know about my raw mark, but i got 140/140 UMS, so A*. I was so happy! But i barely revised, and hearing about how others are doing up to 7 hours a day makes me feel very guilty!!!
English Lit
2 Maths (unless I got an A in March)
Biology
Chemistry
2 German
2 History (one a re-sit)
GCSE PE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest