The Student Room Group

UCL economics job prospects.

Hi,

Can i get some opinion on the job prospects for an international student (Aus), and how difficult it would be to get a job from there?

From what I gather, UCL is a strange case in that not everyone has heard of it, but those who have heard will know it has a very high reputation and standard.

I'm also considering just going to UniMelbourne and getting all the shenanigans out of the way since it's closer to home and easier for me to get a job there. But alas, Melbourne is not London.
Reply 1
bump :tongue:
Original post by defeatedmac
Hi,

Can i get some opinion on the job prospects for an international student (Aus), and how difficult it would be to get a job from there?

From what I gather, UCL is a strange case in that not everyone has heard of it, but those who have heard will know it has a very high reputation and standard.

I'm also considering just going to UniMelbourne and getting all the shenanigans out of the way since it's closer to home and easier for me to get a job there. But alas, Melbourne is not London.

Job prospects where? Here or abroad?
UCL has a high international reputation, maybe more so in some countries than others-I'm not entirely sure- but you'll have great graduate prospects with a degree from there anyhow :smile:
Couple of my friends went UCL and did economics. 2 of them got great jobs one at bloomberg the other at JP morgan. But one was unemployed for quite a while and now set up his own advertising agency. So guess its down to the individual, prestige only gets you so far.
Reply 4
Original post by Bill_Gates
Couple of my friends went UCL and did economics. 2 of them got great jobs one at bloomberg the other at JP morgan. But one was unemployed for quite a while and now set up his own advertising agency. So guess its down to the individual, prestige only gets you so far.

but were they international students? right to work makes a huuuuge difference i'd suspect.
but were they international students? right to work makes a huuuuge difference i'd suspect.

UK.
Reply 6
UK.

exactly. so it would really be best to just stay home and go to melbourne. anyway its not like australia is a poor country that can't give me a good education. Perhap's Ill get an MBA from the US or UK :biggrin:
exactly. so it would really be best to just stay home and go to melbourne. anyway its not like australia is a poor country that can't give me a good education. Perhap's Ill get an MBA from the US or UK :biggrin:

I think thats the right move to be honest.
hows this sound.

Bcomm + JD from Melbourne, with several internships.
Work at a Big 4 branch in australia or some JPMorgan type bank for 3 years.
MBA from some big name in the US or UK.
be set for life after that.

True.
Reply 9

A lot of friends (and me) have front office offers at GS, JPM and the likes and none of us are from the UK (all europe though). But you sound very deluded so I guess it wouldnt work out for you anyway
Reply 10
Original post by Frenchous
A lot of friends (and me) have front office offers at GS, JPM and the likes and none of us are from the UK (all europe though). But you sound very deluded so I guess it wouldnt work out for you anyway

ouch mate, harsh. I would've expected a Frenchman to be a bit more internationally aware. My plan is a well-worn road in Australia and many executives of US banks and firms go by it. Thankfully our own immigration policies are as tight as yours, and we don't have to worry about floods of self-inflated idiots coming over to ruin the amicable culture we have here. so enjoy your own delusion mate :wink:
ouch mate, harsh. I would've expected a Frenchman to be a bit more internationally aware. My plan is a well-worn road in Australia and many executives of US banks and firms go by it. Thankfully our own immigration policies are as tight as yours, and we don't have to worry about floods of self-inflated idiots coming over to ruin the amicable culture we have here. so enjoy your own delusion mate :wink:

Yeah sure everyone knows that uni of melbourne followed by a job in a regional branch of a US firm is the path to untold riches
hows this sound.

Bcomm + JD from Melbourne, with several internships.
Work at a Big 4 branch in australia or some JPMorgan type bank for 3 years.
MBA from some big name in the US or UK.
be set for life after that.

Set for life :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by Frenchous
A lot of friends (and me) have front office offers at GS, JPM and the likes and none of us are from the UK (all europe though)

The issue is the thread starter is Australian, and hence may have more of an issue finding work due to visa's etc.
Reply 14

This is by far the most relevant post.

A specific university name may open up a few doors, as may references from well connected professors, but at the end of the day, it is up to you to shine and hence the placements of alumni is not the be all and end all.
Original post by .ACS.
The issue is the thread starter is Australian, and hence may have more of an issue finding work due to visa's etc.

They sort your visa. There are people from all over the world in each bank. I even know someone who did a bachelor at uni melbourne followed by a masters at hec and was interning at MS.

The whole idea that he couldnt get into a bank because he is Australian is completely ridiculous and shows he has no clue and wont even make a proper effort to find out

And I dont even talk about his bull**** on big 4 followed by mba and be set for life lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
heh. frenchous is obvs a troll so not gonna bother. ACS understands my PoV, so i upvoted him.
Reply 17
Are visa restrictions not relatively lax for international students who find work here afterward?
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Are visa restrictions not relatively lax for international students who find work here afterward?

Companies aren't that keen to employ people they need to sponsor for visas.
Reply 19
Original post by .ACS.
Companies aren't that keen to employ people they need to sponsor for visas.

yep. and especially unskilled uni grads that only have a Bachelors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending