The Student Room Group

Will gap year affect application to uni

Hi,

I'm currently studying at AS level and must apply for Paramedic Science this year. Recently though I've decided I want to live in Australia for a year to experience the different culture. I don't know whether I'd be able to get a job linked to paramedic science over there because I am only allowed to be employed by one employer for 6months.

My question is, would this choice to have a year out affect my application if I apply for paramedic science a year later because they may think it isn't dedication to the subject?

I am trained in first aid by red cross and have experience in that so would this counteract it?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by desire3
Hi,

I'm currently studying at AS level and must apply for Paramedic Science this year. Recently though I've decided I want to live in Australia for a year to experience the different culture. I don't know whether I'd be able to get a job linked to paramedic science over there because I am only allowed to be employed by one employer for 6months.

My question is, would this choice to have a year out affect my application if I apply for paramedic science a year later because they may think it isn't dedication to the subject?

I am trained in first aid by red cross and have experience in that so would this counteract it?

Thanks

It won't count against you but it would be helpful if you explained to them the reason why your taking a year out and maybe the skills that this has helped you to gain which will help you at University - such as greater independence etc. Your past experience will definitely make you more attractive too and if you could get work linked to your subject, this would be beneficial to your application.
Reply 2
gap year after a2 or before a2?
if after a2, u applied for deferred and can mention on your ps, your plans
Reply 3
It won't count against you, no. But make sure you mention what you intend to do in your gap year, which should at the least show transferable skills like teamwork or leadership if not skills specific to your course.
Reply 4
It shouldn't count against you, but you should also probably make sure that you keep up with something maths-related at the same time because otherwise it will be really hard to pick up again.
Reply 5
Original post by AishaTara
gap year after a2 or before a2?
if after a2, u applied for deferred and can mention on your ps, your plans

After A2, how do you apply for deferred?

Thanks guys
Reply 6
Original post by desire3

Thanks guys

I'm 99% sure theres an option when you're filling out your UCAS form and then you would have to talk about why your deferring in your personal statement.
Reply 7
I've heard it that universities aren't keen on accepting people for "deferred" entry, however, I applied last year and was accepted (my grades were well above the entry standard). I'd actually paid the deposit on accommodation but then deferred.

I would have been 17 last September and after I had explained this on the phone they were completely understanding. They refunded the deposit and the next day when I checked UCAS, I was showing as "Unconditional 2013".

So I'd probably recommend applying and then deferring after accepting. It would be worth some other opinions though, depending on grades etc I'm not sure how "happy" universities are when you do this! :tongue:
Taking a gap year shouldn't affect your application at all.
If anything it's quite beneficial as it allows you carry out some volunteering, learn more about yourself and develop vital life skills.

As long as you can demonstrate that you've done something productive during gap year and not sat at home on the sofa all day watching TV you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by desire3

Thanks guys

its on UCAS-when you select your Uni options you choose for starting entry (in my case 2013, or deferred for 2014)
Reply 10
I am doing my a2 levels this year, I want to do adult nursing, I have three conditional offers to start this year, I had interviews for these places.

I have decided I would like a gap year to save some money - and get some experience working in a health related job, perhaps a care home (I volunteer in one already).

What do I do? When do I tell UCAS/university concerned? Do I have to attend another interview to explain why I'm taking a year out? Is the fact I'm partly taking a year out to save money relevant?

I have no idea how to do this. Of course, I haven't even got the grades yet.

Can anyone tell me how I defer a year.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest