The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Sustainable Development at Edinburgh 2013/14

Hi there,
I was just wondering if there was anyone else who had applied for the Sustainable Development course?
I was rejected, and have decided to pursue my career somewhere else, but I would be interested in knowing what the typical offer people received was.
Thanks, and good luck to you all,
KK
Reply 1
Applied and got a conditional for a B, only got ABBC in 5th year too
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Well that seems to suggest that Edinburgh were quite lazy when it came to my application... I got an Unconditional into the same course at St Andrews with peoples offers either AAAB or AAA (England). So my New Zealand exam results must be equivalent to that. And if you can get an offer at ABBC, then that means I would probably have legitimate grounds to appeal...

But I would rather go somewhere I am wanted, so have accepted to St Andrew's for September :smile: good luck with your exams, hope it all goes well!
Original post by Kilted Kiwi
Well that seems to suggest that Edinburgh were quite lazy when it came to my application... I got an Unconditional into the same course at St Andrews with peoples offers either AAAB or AAA (England). So my New Zealand exam results must be equivalent to that. And if you can get an offer at ABBC, then that means I would probably have legitimate grounds to appeal...

But I would rather go somewhere I am wanted, so have accepted to St Andrew's for September :smile: good luck with your exams, hope it all goes well!

But you have finalised grades, whereas conditional offer holders don't. The two situations aren't comparable (in terms of working out how offers are made etc.)
I haven't heard back form Edinburgh yet, but got an offer from St. Andrews (for reference I'm an IB student)
Reply 5
Original post by oblivionparadise
I haven't heard back form Edinburgh yet, but got an offer from St. Andrews (for reference I'm an IB student)

What would your preference for course/uni be between St Andrews/Edinburgh? Or are you planning on going somewhere else?
What would your preference for course/uni be between St Andrews/Edinburgh? Or are you planning on going somewhere else?

I don't know exactly yet..at first I was dead set on Edinburgh, but the more I look at at the course the better I think St Andrews is compared to Edinburgh. Right now i'm leaning towards St Andrews but I guess I'll see at the open day :smile: Did you apply to any other unis?
Reply 7
I don't know exactly yet..at first I was dead set on Edinburgh, but the more I look at at the course the better I think St Andrews is compared to Edinburgh. Right now i'm leaning towards St Andrews but I guess I'll see at the open day :smile: Did you apply to any other unis?

I was the same as you, Edinburgh was always number 1. But now I'm so glad I'm off to St Andrews, I really think it is the better of the two SD courses. I applied to Stirling as a back up option, got an Unconditional, but glad I didn't need it! I'm visiting St A on the 10th April :smile:
I was the same as you, Edinburgh was always number 1. But now I'm so glad I'm off to St Andrews, I really think it is the better of the two SD courses. I applied to Stirling as a back up option, got an Unconditional, but glad I didn't need it! I'm visiting St A on the 10th April :smile:

It does seem to be better established and with more options to choose from! I quess I'll wait to see what happens with Edinburgh. Oh okay, I'm going on the 17th April :smile:
Reply 9
It does seem to be better established and with more options to choose from! I quess I'll wait to see what happens with Edinburgh. Oh okay, I'm going on the 17th April :smile:

Yeah that was my problem with the Edinburgh course, its only 2/3 years old and there are no graduates yet. In one way this makes it exciting and interesting, but it also makes it less stable and reliable.

Well, I'm happy with my choice, good luck with making yours!
Reply 10
Hi there,
I was just wondering if there was anyone else who had applied for the Sustainable Development course?
I was rejected, and have decided to pursue my career somewhere else, but I would be interested in knowing what the typical offer people received was.
Thanks, and good luck to you all,
KK

Sorry for the slow reply, I found this thread a little late. I've applied to both Edinburgh and St. Andrews Sustainable Development programmes. I'm a mature international student. (38 and from the US with a family that would relocate with me). Edinburgh sent me a rejection. :-( I'm still waiting to hear from St. Andrews. I submitted my application to St. Andrews in early Jan. and have been in contact with the programme director and recently e-mailed the dept. to inquire about the status of my application. They replied that all applications (for this Postgraduate programme) should be responded to within the next few days. At this point, I believe that St. Andrews is my first choice. I'll be in the UK on a scouting trip to visit several Universities in mid-April. Lets hope St. Andrews is on my list of place to visit.

Congratulations on your offer. The quality of the programme is very impressive and I'm sure will lead to future opportunities and opened doors.
I did get an offer from Edinburgh after all for 36 IB points with 665 at HL whereas for St. Andrews the offer was just 36 points.
Reply 12
I did get an offer from Edinburgh after all for 36 IB points with 665 at HL whereas for St. Andrews the offer was just 36 points.

That's cool :smile: now to make a choice... good luck!
Reply 13
Which school did you end up choosing?
Original post by Alanlam
Which school did you end up choosing?

Edinburgh! So glad I did as well, absolutely love it here :biggrin:
Reply 15
Congrats! I have received offers from both st Andrews and Edinburgh for sustainable development, and I'm not sure which one to choose! Can you tell me a bit about the course and pros/ con's of your experience at Edinburgh? Thanks!
Original post by Alanlam
Congrats! I have received offers from both st Andrews and Edinburgh for sustainable development, and I'm not sure which one to choose! Can you tell me a bit about the course and pros/ con's of your experience at Edinburgh? Thanks!

Congrats to you too then! I'm really liking the course and the freedom you get with pathways and outside courses, but I think that also varies with what you're looking for. I think both courses are good, obviously St. Andrews has won some awards, but I don't think that means the course is any worse here, the course conveners are happy to receive feedback and incorporate it which I like. I think one of the biggest pros is the city, when I went to visit St. Andrews for the open day I found it boring and incredibly small whereas I love Edinburgh, it doesn't feel like a capital city, but there's always something to do and events going on :smile: The student union and facilities they provide are also really good here, can't really speak for what it's like in St. Andrews but that's my experience. Again, it depends what kind of place you're looking to live in, it's probably best if you visit both places and unis to form your own opinion! It's hard for to find any cons as I love it here so much.. Good luck with your decision :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Alanlam

Which one did you end up choosing? I'm in the same situation!
Original post by nunu10
Which one did you end up choosing? I'm in the same situation!

This thread was made 5 years ago. You're unlikely to receive a reply.

Do you have any specific questions? You can make a thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending