The Student Room Group

Was there a lot of business places through clearing last year?

Does anyone have any info on the institutions that had places through clearing for business or similar last year?

Also do Russell group universities, when they offer places through clearing accept less than their original entry requirements? If I mess up i'll get 3B's or ABC maybe.

Thanks in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should say *were* there shouldn't it? My mistaken

Original post by GemmaSmith
Does anyone have any info on the institutions that had places through clearing for business or similar last year?

Also do Russell group universities, when they offer places through clearing accept less than their original entry requirements? If I mess up i'll get 3B's or ABC maybe.

Thanks in advance

I imagine there were quite a few business courses in clearing last year. As it's quite a big course, almost every university offers it. I would imagine places such as UEL, LSBU, LMET etc offered it (the lower ranking universities).

I don't believe RG universities enter clearing, though they may for their combined courses, that are less popular than straight business.
Original post by Knalchemist
I imagine there were quite a few business courses in clearing last year. As it's quite a big course, almost every university offers it. I would imagine places such as UEL, LSBU, LMET etc offered it (the lower ranking universities).

I don't believe RG universities enter clearing, though they may for their combined courses, that are less popular than straight business.

Russell Group universities most definitely do enter clearing in general, though which ones will this year for business courses is unknown.
Reply 4
Yeah I saw I think 17 out of 24 did.. Would they accept lower grades?

Yeah I saw I think 17 out of 24 did.. Would they accept lower grades?

Some do some don't. I was monitoring History and Psychology, btw.

Liverpool History started out as ABB and dropped to BBB; when I noticed it, Psychology there was already BBB. These were lower than their original offers, I am sure.

Sheffield, otoh, was AAB for both.
Original post by Knalchemist

Russell Group unis enter clearing most of the time, but some courses are full before they do. I know the University of Manchester had a lot of courses available in Clearing last year for example. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a Business course in there at somewhere suitable. It's impossible to give figures though, I don't think the data is kept since places fill up quickly.
Reply 7
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Russell Group unis enter clearing most of the time, but some courses are full before they do. I know the University of Manchester had a lot of courses available in Clearing last year for example. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a Business course in there at somewhere suitable. It's impossible to give figures though, I don't think the data is kept since places fill up quickly.

Thanks! Do you know if they accept lower than the entry requirements?

ABB will be a key level this year because universities can take as many students as they want with those grades or better. Are you likely to get that?
Reply 9
Depends on what russel group unis, im sure queen mary do. Top ones like ucl, imperial LSE certainly wont be in clearly. But places like city will but I dont know if they will for cass degrees.
Thanks! Do you know if they accept lower than the entry requirements?

I couldn't guarantee it but there's a decent chance they will take people with slightly lower grades than those stated on their website. A friend went through Clearing with CDD and got onto a course that originally required BBB!
Reply 11
If I'm in clearing it'll be because I got less than ABB

Reply 12

Thanks in advance

Dont do business as a degree, its such a token, barbie doll, oversubscribed degree, they just hand them out like peanuts, do Economics or something more respectable. Yeah you could get in most places through clearing for business,
Reply 13
Original post by newts2k
Dont do business as a degree, its such a token, barbie doll, oversubscribed degree, they just hand them out like peanuts, do Economics or something more respectable. Yeah you could get in most places through clearing for business,

Is that why like 7% got a first at Sheffield last year?

Reply 14

what a 1st in business? Im just saying its considered a bit of a token degree, like a poor man's Economics
Reply 15
Yeah in business.. I'm not interested in doing anything to do with maths so why would I do economics?

That's probably more of a reflection on those who do business at uni rather than how hard business is as a degree course...
Reply 17
Yeah in business.. I'm not interested in doing anything to do with maths so why would I do economics?

I don't know what business degree you're looking to do, mine contained linear algebra and multivariable calculus. You won't be avoiding maths doing a degree in business or management.
Reply 18
Original post by All-in
I don't know what business degree you're looking to do, mine contained linear algebra and multivariable calculus. You won't be avoiding maths doing a degree in business or management.

Clearly less than economics

Reply 19

Im just saying its a more respected degree, well it depends, if business is what you want to do and come out with a clone and the same degree as thousands of others at your uni, many of whom are ordinary intelligence, do it sure. Economics isn't just maths, its analysis, business as well, many different areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending