The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by posthumus
What answer did you get ?

Original post by otrivine
wow! wait, can i now just use substitution, my integration by parts was the same as urs but do not get then how you or why you considered I?:confused:

You don't have to use I, it just makes it easier.

You let I = e3xcos2x dx\displaystyle\int e^{3x} cos 2x \ dx

You have:

e3xcos2x dx=13e3xcos2x+29e3xsin2x49e3xcos2xdx\displaystyle\int e^{3x} cos 2x \ dx = \dfrac{1}{3}e^{3x} \cos 2x + \dfrac{2}{9}e^{3x} \sin 2x - \dfrac{4}{9} \displaystyle\int e^{3x} \cos 2x dx

If you notice, you have the same function to be integrated on both sides. So you can replace them both with "I":

I=13e3xcos2x+29e3xsin2x49II = \dfrac{1}{3}e^{3x} \cos 2x + \dfrac{2}{9}e^{3x} \sin 2x -\dfrac{4}{9}I

Then, because I = e3xcos2x dx\displaystyle\int e^{3x} cos 2x \ dx (i.e. the question) you just make "I" the subject of the formula. :smile:
they got 12x/y but should there not be a y with 12x?

If it's 12x/y, then it's 12x/y... the question is still doable.
Original post by posthumus
Its quite unlikely to come up if you ask me - I don't think it has ever before... where did you get the question from ?

It's never come up, no, and a question like that probably won't to be honest. I got it from my maths teacher who got it from a really old (like 10-15 years old) A-Level maths textbook. :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
It's never come up, no, and a question like that probably won't to be honest. I got it from my maths teacher who got it from a really old (like 10-15 years old) A-Level maths textbook. :tongue:

I just realised that the textbook I have has a whole section on integrals of the form eaxcos(bx)e^{ax}cos(bx) and eaxsin(bx)e^{ax}sin(bx) :tongue:.
Original post by brittanna
I just realised that the textbook I have has a whole section on integrals of the form eaxcos(bx)e^{ax}cos(bx) and eaxsin(bx)e^{ax}sin(bx) :tongue:.

I see! I don't have any questions like that in my textbook :frown:
Reply 346
someone please help me? maths.jpgmaths.jpg
Reply 347
Original post by samfreak

Nah solutionbank is right

which book you using i dont see it in the green book?

No.

Notice that the limits of the integral changed.

abu dx=bau dx\displaystyle \int_a^b u \mathrm{ \ } dx = -\int_b^a u \mathrm{ \ } dx
Original post by justinawe
No.

abu dx=bau dx\displaystyle \int_a^b u \mathrm{ \ } dx = -\int_b^a u \mathrm{ \ } dx

Hi, in connecting rates, what is r/h in triangle? is this a formula for finiding what ? thanks
Reply 350
Original post by justinawe
No.

where have they chnaged? :colondollar:
Original post by QwertyG
Nah solutionbank is right

which book you using i dont see it in the green book?

I have an older one I think. It says:
Advanced Maths A2 core for edexcel.

It's this one here:

a2-core-mathematics-for-edexcel-2076-p.jpg
where have they chnaged? :colondollar:

On the second line (the line beginning with A_1=) it was pi40ydx\int^0_\frac{pi}{4} y dx whereas on the line after it was 0pi4ydx\int^\frac{pi}{4}_0 y dx
On the second line (the line beginning with A_1=) it was pi40ydx\int^0_\frac{pi}{4} y dx whereas on the line after it was 0pi4ydx\int^\frac{pi}{4}_0 y dx

Hi :smile: In cone why do we use r/h ? and what is it in triangle
Hi :smile: In cone why do we use r/h ? and what is it in triangle

I don't think I know what you mean. Have you get an example of a question that uses it?
*cries*
had to do a C4 paper as a test in class, i knew what paper it was gona be and got 51% :colondollar:

ha hahahalgnsrlkgnsrin :frown:
I don't think I know what you mean. Have you get an example of a question that uses it?

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/core-maths/differentiation/methods/chain-rule/applications/connected-rates-of-change/tutorial-3.php

this tutor uses that r/h formula? thanks

It's just the way similar shapes are defined (from GCSE). So in this case, the ratio of the height to the radius is the same in each of the triangles he looked at. I guess triangles would be the same as it was a triangle he was looking at in the cone question.
It's just the way similar shapes are defined (from GCSE). So in this case, the ratio of the height to the radius is the same in each of the triangles he looked at. I guess triangles would be the same as it was a triangle he was looking at in the cone question.

oh so what does r/h calculate ?
oh so what does r/h calculate ?

It's just the ratio of of the length and height of the triangle, it doesn't represent any physical quantity. But because the two triangles are mathematically similar, it gives us an extra equation we can use.

Do you remember doing similar triangles at GCSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending