The Student Room Group

Will my bad General Studies grade hinder me?

Hey I'm a year 12 student who's doing mainly Maths, economics and psychology.

In my January AS I got 3 A's in my main exams but got a D in general studies (whoops).
I was wondering how much my bad expected grade will hinder me ?
I was thinking cause I only do 3 it will see a potential weakness but at the same time it's general studies >.<

I hope to study economics in a top 40 university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Jkizer
Hey I'm a year 12 student who's doing mainly Maths, economics and psychology.

In my January AS I got 3 A's in my main exams but got a D in general studies (whoops).
I was wondering how much my bad expected grade will hinder me ?
I was thinking cause I only do 3 it will see a potential weakness but at the same time it's general studies >.<

I hope to study economics in a top 40 university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not. Most top unis specifically say that General Studies and Critical Thinking are worthwhile they do not count towards offers. :smile:
i got a D in general studies too (i drew doctor who at the zoo haha), and my head of sixth form told me that with a grade like that in general studies, i'd messed up my chances of getting into any good university. didn't stop me at all, i got four offers (and one rejection, but that was based on my portfolio, booo).
so in short, no.
Reply 3
no. i got an E and still got offers from warwick and bristol
Reply 4
A lot of the good unis and even the lower ones don't accept general your doing well in the rest you'll definitely be fine, one of my friends put down general studies and the uni sent back her ucas form telling her to remove it!! Half the kids get u in general anyways college makes us do as level but really it's worthless, just one of those subjects really
Reply 5
Ahhh ok sounds reassuring, cause in my report my head of sixth form wrote I should retake to stand a chance of getting in a decent uni since I'm only on 3 AS ... Retakes for it are like £16 >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
i got a D in general studies too (i drew doctor who at the zoo haha), and my head of sixth form told me that with a grade like that in general studies, i'd messed up my chances of getting into any good university. didn't stop me at all, i got four offers (and one rejection, but that was based on my portfolio, booo).
so in short, no.

I got a C in Gen. Studies (actually, the best of my A level results :colondollar:) and I was too told that I wouldn't get into a decent uni ever... Actually, I got told I wouldn't get into uni full stop at one point...

I'm graduating in June from a decent uni and I can't wait to walk into my old school and wave my degree in their faces :wink:
Reply 7
I got a C first time round, and it doesn't seem to have stopped me from getting offers from pretty good places!

Just as a side note, I retook some modules and got it up to a B just in case it helped - I still didn't revise for it but I think the exam probably becomes easier with experience.

Quick Reply

Latest