The Student Room Group

Star Wars Lego isn't allowed anymore

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302312/Muslims-declare-victory-fight-anti-Islamic-lego-Denmark-promises-axe-Jabba-s-Palace-toy.html

"'It is clear that the ugly figure of Jabba and the whole scene smacks of racial prejudice and vulgar insinuations against Asians and Orientals as people with deceitful and criminal personalities."

Really? Not think they might just be created to resemble the Star Wars characters or does your religious and racial bigotry need to find anything conform to your silly world-view. Normally there is at least some strand of common sense in decisions taken on supposedly anti-religious grounds, this one is just awful and stupid. You almost wish it was an april fools joke for your own sanity.
^frothing DM reader alert.

Their only issue was with the middle-eastern style palace that Jabba was sat in (which is a bit silly really, Tattoine scenes were all shot in the Tunisian desert, using vernacular buildings, so would obviously look similar).

So "Star Wars Lego isn't allowed anymore" is a bit of an imflammatory and incorrect statement to make.
This guys hardly a frothing DM reader, I know him fairly well and he's more likely to read the guardian.
Reply 3
Original post by Architecture-er
^frothing DM reader alert.

You don't know how incorrect that statement is. Like most people, I read the daily mail infrequently when directed there by links on the internet. If it makes you feel better this is also covered in the Independent

Their only issue was with the middle-eastern style palace that Jabba was sat in (which is a bit silly really, Tattoine scenes were all shot in the Tunisian desert, using vernacular buildings, so would obviously look similar).

So "Star Wars Lego isn't allowed anymore" is a bit of an imflammatory and incorrect statement to make.

That's my point, there only issue is the fact was set to make it look like the film and apparently the characters, also made to look like film, we're racial stereotypes of a race they didn't even represent. It isn't ridiculous to think that they are massively overreacting to a completely non-existent problem and going as far to have the lego withdrawn from sale is unfair on anybody else who want's to enjoy it.
Original post by The Mad Dog
You don't know how incorrect that statement is. Like most people, I read the daily mail infrequently when directed there by links on the internet. If it makes you feel better this is also covered in the Independent

That's my point, there only issue is the fact was set to make it look like the film and apparently the characters, also made to look like film, we're racial stereotypes of a race they didn't even represent. It isn't ridiculous to think that they are massively overreacting to a completely non-existent problem and going as far to have the lego withdrawn from sale is unfair on anybody else who want's to enjoy it.

Well actually Jabba's palace is buried in the rocky landscape, so any depiction they make of it will be false. I agree with how ridiculous it is, given the context of the film.

Since the palace was made up to suit the Tattooine landscape its design makes sense, evidently it was just too much though :rolleyes:

I was just pointing out that your thread title was a bit overhyped
Return of the Jedi is totally unpolitically correct anyway, Princess Leia turns up in a bounty hunter costume and threatens a suicide attack by getting out a thermal detonator when Jabba won't hand over Han Solo in exchange for a gay robot, then Jabba takes her prisoner and chains her to his throne in a golden bikini.
I thought this was about the game when I read the title.

Don't scare me like that again. Lego Star Wars is a classic.
The party most at fault here is Lego for caving in to such ridiculous demands.
Original post by Architecture-er
Well actually Jabba's palace is buried in the rocky landscape, so any depiction they make of it will be false. I agree with how ridiculous it is, given the context of the film.

Since the palace was made up to suit the Tattooine landscape its design makes sense, evidently it was just too much though :rolleyes:

I was just pointing out that your thread title was a bit overhyped

Wasn't there a building on top of the mountain though? I think it's partially buried but not totally. The room Jabba was in was definitely not in the building though, it was underground so the lego is pretty inaccurate.

Wow...that nerdiest thing I've written in a while!
Original post by gateshipone
Wasn't there a building on top of the mountain though? I think it's partially buried but not totally. The room Jabba was in was definitely not in the building though, it was underground so the lego is pretty inaccurate.

Wow...that nerdiest thing I've written in a while!

Well you should write nerdy things more often, then! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Absolutely pathetic. If they're offended, they could always not buy the toys rather than ruin it for sane people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skip_Snip
Absolutely pathetic. If they're offended, they could always not buy the toys rather than ruin it for sane people.

On the plus side, Lego could now create a new set that's more accurate and includes a Rancor pit...
Reply 12
Original post by gateshipone
On the plus side, Lego could now create a new set that's more accurate and includes a Rancor pit...

Yes :biggrin: or just not include any of the exterior, so it could be in any building
Original post by Skip_Snip
Yes :biggrin: or just not include any of the exterior, so it could be in any building

They could easily just do the mountain exterior and leave out the building part that was on top for sure.

This is making me want to go to the lego store and buy all the star wars stuff!
Reply 14
Absolutely ludicrous. Star Wars Legos aren't even banned in Turkey itself. I'm sorry to hear that a batch of bigots like no other in Turkey itself, landed in Austria. The toy looks more like a teapot than Hagia Sofia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending