ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by otrivine
Want to revise with me and MathsNerd:biggrin:

Sounds like a plan!
Original post by IQ Test
Sounds like a plan!

Describe how you would carry out an experiment in order to determine if the reaction is first order for rate aganist concentration (4)
Original post by IQ Test
Sounds like a plan!

Can I ask you one too? Or would it be too many people asking questions at the same time? If its fine then:

Explain the effects of ionic size and ionic charge on the size of lattice enthalpy. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsnerd1
okay, identify the acid base pairs in the acid base equilibria:
Ch3cooh + h2o ------> ch3coo- + h3o+
acid 1 base 1 base 2 acid 2
ch3cooh + hcl ---> ch3cooh2- + cl-
base 2 acid 1 acid 2 base 2
write the full and ionic equations for the following acid-base reactions:
Hydrochloric acid and solid calcium carbonate
nitric acid and magnesium oxide
ethanoic acid and aqueous calcium hydroxide (7)

posted from tsr mobile

for the labelling of acid and base see, i quoted

2hcl + caco3 ---> cacl2 + co2 + h2o
ionic = 2h+ + co3 2- ---> co2 + h2o

2hno3 + mgo --> mg(no3)2 + h2o
ionic = 2h+ + o2- --> h2o

2ch3cooh + ca(oh)2 ---> (ch3coo)2ca + 2h2o

ionic = 2h+ + o2- ---> h2o
Original post by MathsNerd1
Can I ask you one too? Or would it be too many people asking questions at the same time? If its fine then:

Explain the effects of ionic size and ionic charge on the size of lattice enthalpy. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Greater the charge density results in a stronger attraction between ions and so hence more energy needed to sepeate ions. Greater ionic size the smaller the lattice enthalpy as ion is large and hence less electrostatic attraction between ion and less energy needed to separate bonds and value of lattice enthalpy decreases.
for the labelling of acid and base see, i quoted

2hcl + caco3 ---> cacl2 + co2 + h2o
ionic = 2h+ + co3 2- ---> co2 + h2o

2hno3 + mgo --> mg(no3)2 + h2o
ionic = 2h+ + o2- --> h2o

2ch3cooh + ca(oh)2 ---> (ch3coo)2ca + 2h2o

ionic = 2h+ + o2- ---> h2o

Okay that was all correct although I'm not sure your ionic equations are correct.
The first should be 2H+ + CaCO3 --> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
The second being:
2H+ + MgO --> Mg2+ + H2O
The last being:
H+ + OH- ---> H2O

Other than those you were completely correct. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greater the charge density results in a stronger attraction between ions and so hence more energy needed to sepeate ions. Greater ionic size the smaller the lattice enthalpy as ion is large and hence less electrostatic attraction between ion and less energy needed to separate bonds and value of lattice enthalpy decreases.

That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Anyone know of any decent websites online for our chemistry syllabus? I've been using the textbook but it's not been too much help. Thanks.
Okay that was all correct although I'm not sure your ionic equations are correct.
The first should be 2H+ + CaCO3 --> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
The second being:
2H+ + MgO --> Mg2+ + H2O
The last being:
H+ + OH- ---> H2O

Other than those you were completely correct. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the second one you did not mention that magnesium oxide was solid, I thought aqueous? In the first one you mentioned it?
That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile

State Hess Law (2)

Why is it difficult in measure the lattice enthalpy directly (2)
For the second one you did not mention that magnesium oxide was solid, I thought aqueous? In the first one you mentioned it?

Oh well that's because it wasn't mentioned in the question at all, sorry for the confusion though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh well that's because it wasn't mentioned in the question at all, sorry for the confusion though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see , that was sneaky from the question, have to watch out :colone:
State Hess Law (2)

Why is it difficult in measure the lattice enthalpy directly (2)

Hess' law states that if a reaction can take place by more than one route and the initial and final conditions are the same then the total enthalpy change is the same for each route taken.

They can't be measured directly as its impossible to form one mole of an ionic lattice from gaseous ions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see , that was sneaky from the question, have to watch out :colone:

Indeed! They always seem to be trying to catch us out in all or most of the questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hess' law states that if a reaction can take place by more than one route and the initial and final conditions are the same then the total enthalpy change is the same for each route taken.

They can't be measured directly as its impossible to form one mole of an ionic lattice from gaseous ions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup!Nicely said ! :smile: my turn
Yup!Nicely said ! :smile: my turn

How do you measure a standard electrode potential. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you measure a standard electrode potential. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conditions are 298K,100KPA and 1 mol dm-3

Between half cells depends but between metal and metal

there has to be 2 solutions in a beaker with a salt bridge and voltmeter connected between the solution. Salt bridge allows the ions to move from one half cell to the next and the voltmeter measures the electrode potential resistance. Each solution has to be 1 mol dm-3.
If a half cell is compared with hydrogen half cell then in the hydrogen half cell there should be a platinum electrode that allows the transfers of ions and there and there should be 1 mol dm-3 of aqueous HCL(aq)
Conditions are 298K,100KPA and 1 mol dm-3

Between half cells depends but between metal and metal

there has to be 2 solutions in a beaker with a salt bridge and voltmeter connected between the solution. Salt bridge allows the ions to move from one half cell to the next and the voltmeter measures the electrode potential resistance. Each solution has to be 1 mol dm-3.
If a half cell is compared with hydrogen half cell then in the hydrogen half cell there should be a platinum electrode that allows the transfers of ions and there and there should be 1 mol dm-3 of aqueous HCL(aq)

That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Define:colone:ntropy (2)
Define:colone:ntropy (2)

Just a warning, at 9 I'll do some unit 1 stuff again.

Entropy is the quantitative measure of the degree if disorder in a system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending