The Student Room Group

Why do people look down on sociology degrees?

I want concrete reasons why, and none founded on ignorance

Scroll to see replies

Because they're not as difficult as English, Maths, Science, engineering, medical etc degrees, and that is a fact.

Come at me negs, rep means nothing to me!
Original post by areebmazhar
Because they're not as difficult as English, Maths, Science, engineering, medical etc degrees, and that is a fact.

Come at me negs, rep means nothing to me!

In what respect? There are some people who are scientifically minded but could not possibly understand the way people work.
Reply 3
what are its career prospects like?
Original post by R4INBOW
what are its career prospects like?

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_sociology.htm
Reply 5
Original post by SummitOfReason

Why do people look down on toilet cleaners?

Original post by politixx
Why do people look down on toilet cleaners?

I said concrete reasons, none founded on ignorance
Reply 7
People have this idea of Sociology not being a 'real' science, which means it's easy and mostly common sense. Therefore, it's only taken by those who can't do well in 'proper' sciences or just don't know what to do at university, so choose it over Media Studies.

I'm not saying I agree (if anything I'd disagree); I'm simply explaining how many seem to view Sociology.
Reply 8
[video="youtube;vEfKEzX9QLE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfKEzX9QLE[/video]
Because it is not seen as something we 'need'. Not necessarily my opinion but that's the way it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah_22_16
Because it is not seen as something we 'need'. Not necessarily my opinion but that's the way it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our society is deeply embedded with social problems that in my mind escalate crime and depression leading to all sorts of socio-economic issues.

I don't see how anyone could say improving society isn't important and we can't improve society without studying it.
Because a lot of people seem to think that unless you're taking mathematics or science, then you're doing a worthless degree and it is a 'soft' option. A lot of people look down on psychology for exactly the same reasons - i.e. it's not a proper science, it's easy, most people don't end up going into psychology-related careers, etc.
Our society is deeply embedded with social problems that in my mind escalate crime and depression leading to all sorts of socio-economic issues.

I don't see how anyone could say improving society isn't important and we can't improve society without studying it.

I didnt say it was my opinion. Though what causes crime is surely common sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah_22_16
I didnt say it was my opinion. Though what causes crime is surely common sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, I know, I was just challenging the general point :smile:.

And personally I think crime is more likely to occur where individuals are angry due to difficult backgrounds and upbringings, or from under-priveleged backgrounds; or feel that they haven't been sufficient opportunity in life. I think those are quite complex issues and if we studied them in depth, with the aim of improving housing, education and social care and support; and actively tried to target angry and underpriveleged individuals we'd see dramatic improvements in crime rates and the general well being of society. :smile:
X
Original post by Jabberwox
Because a lot of people seem to think that unless you're taking mathematics or science, then you're doing a worthless degree and it is a 'soft' option. A lot of people look down on psychology for exactly the same reasons - i.e. it's not a proper science, it's easy, most people don't end up going into psychology-related careers, etc.

I do appreciate that this may not be your opinion,
but what i was trying to ascertain in this thread is exactly why people think the emboldened are true.

Surely certain subjects must be easier for certain individuals, but not for others. I don't really understand why understanding how human beings function is less worthy than knowing how molecules function. I'm just trying to get some concrete reasons why people have this prejudice here and it seems there aren't many.
Thanks for your contribution :smile: x
Original post by the bear
[video="youtube;vEfKEzX9QLE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfKEzX9QLE[/video]

:lol:
It's a left wing version of economics.
Because people are c****.

It's been said really. It isn't particularly a hard degree and the job prospectus isn't great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Personally, I percieve it to be because it's not seen as academically challenging course compared to other degrees. Well of course you could argue that it subjective, but it's not seen as a 'strong' degree like the main subjects of Sciences or English etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending