The Student Room Group

Guys; Do you like it when women approach you first?

So I read these forums a lot and there always seems to be questions from guys asking how to approach a girl they like or what to say to let her know that he likes her.
Sometimes you'll find a thread from a girl saying she really likes this guy but he won't ask her out or whatever. Its pretty rare to see a thread where a girl is asking for advice about how to ask a guy out. Kinda interesting to me!

So really my question is; Guys, do you prefer to make the first move or do you like it when a girl is confident and asks you out first?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very good question. :colone:
Reply 2
It's always flattering to be approached
Original post by Jalk
It's always flattering to be approached

In genuine honesty, what if the girl wasn't attractive?
Reply 4
The answer from young and shy guys will be yes.
They have not yet developed the confidence they need, it's as simple as that. But they will, hopefully, which would make dating possible and also life better.

As a girl, no, don't approach men.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah I'd feel pretty good about it :tongue: though it'd be weird if she was too forceful about it. Maybe 'accidently on-purpose' dropping fairly obvious hints....
Reply 6
Original post by im so academic
In genuine honesty, what if the girl wasn't attractive?

You still can have a short chat with her and just tell that you can't find a common discussion.
Very much so. I would have nothing but respect.
Reply 8
Yeah. Saves us the agony of making the first move ourselves...
Reply 9
To be fair, the way the question's phrased makes it seem like girls already do approach. Granted, some do, but most don't. Quite a lot of guys have no idea what it's like for a girl to actively ask them out, so all they have to judge on is the idea behind it. Save maybe the very traditional guys, and the idiots who think it makes women look desperate, I'd say 99% would (me included) love it if a girl approached first. :smile:
I like to be approached first because it means that someone is interested in me, not me being interested in the other person and they aren't interested at all.

But then I like the quiet type of girl most of the time so I doubt that'd ever happen, in which case I try to make the move first and hope for the best :smile:
Reply 11
Personally, seeing as I'm quite quiet and not very confident to start with then I do like it when I get approached. Because I'm quite a deep person and I keep myself to myself, its quite surprising how often girls come up to me and say "what are you thinking about" and "you never seem to say much". It does bring me out of my shell with them though when they say something, even if its just that.
It's always flattering regardless of how she looks (in response to ISA). And I would like it if more girls were willing to approach, but society deems it unattractive for a girl to approach, which is what my brother and most guys I've spoken to in real life say about it.
To the question in the thread title: yes, but then, I am a shy guy...
Reply 14
I wouldn't mind at all as long as it was done in a casual kind of way so I could politely decline if I wasn't that interested.
Original post by Ice Constricter
It's always flattering regardless of how she looks (in response to ISA). And I would like it if more girls were willing to approach, but society deems it unattractive for a girl to approach, which is what my brother and most guys I've spoken to in real life say about it.

In all honesty, I know for a fact the only way for me to get a guy is if I approach the guy first. This is only because I have nothing to lose.
Original post by Millie228
The answer from young and shy guys will be yes.

In real life, don't.

Why not?
I think most guys would prefer it tbh, it takes the fear of rejection away & also in someways makes them feel more desirable. Even if the person is unattractive it still is an ego booster imo & decent guys would appreciate the effort made to approach. It's the 21st century ffs so I don't see a problem with it.
Sure

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I would love it for a girl to approach me.
It saves me from having to make the first move myself which can be quite scary indeed considering that i'm shy...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending