The Student Room Group

Nottingham Economics VS Warwick A&F For Trading

Hello

I have an offer for undergrad economics at Nottingham and an offer for Accounting and Finance for economics.

Which of these would be a better choice for BB trading without masters?

I assume economics is the more prestigious subject, but Warwick is significantly more reputable.
Reply 1
Original post by oscarw2
Hello

I have an offer for undergrad economics at Nottingham and an offer for Accounting and Finance for economics.

Which of these would be a better choice for BB trading without masters?

I assume economics is the more prestigious subject, but Warwick is significantly more reputable.

The amount of times I have seen this line of reasoning on this forum is seriously just ****ing stupid now. Do you seriously think the recruiter is sitting there lookng at two CVs - one from an A&F student and the other from an Economics student, and thinking:

I'll give the interview to the Econ student because their course is more prestigious

As long as you are doing something respectable (eg. not Media Studies or some other BS) your degree doesnt really matter. Your uni is what is most important. Warwick is one of the 6 core UK targets (Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial), who typically form about 2/3rds of Front Office London grad & intern hires. To give that some context, within the UK & continental Europe there are probably around 200 unis or so that banks could potentially recruit from, yet only 6 unis make up 67% of their FO hires. In other words, you stand a much better chance from Warwick.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
The amount of times I have seen this line of reasoning on this forum is seriously just ****ing stupid now. Do you seriously think the recruiter is sitting there lookng at two CVs - one from an A&F student and the other from an Economics student, and thinking:

As long as you are doing something respectable (eg. not Media Studies or some other BS) your degree doesnt really matter. Your uni is what is most important. Warwick is one of the 6 core UK targets (Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial), who typically form about 2/3rds of Front Office London grad & intern hires. To give that some context, within the UK & continental Europe there are probably around 200 unis or so that banks could potentially recruit from, yet only 6 unis make up 67% of their FO hires. In other words, you stand a much better chance from Warwick.
Thank you for the helpful reply. I am happy to learn that my Warwick offer is an improvement over my Nottingham one.

Could I possibly have any advice on how to further differentiate myself from the competition? So far the only experience I have is a job in a local bank branch during my gap year. Also some shadowing in the inland revenue. None are amazingly relevant but could fill empty CV space :/ I am also highly competent at Excel VBA (several hundred hours) but I find it hard to see how I can prove this without my claim sounding unfounded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I have the same decision to make for Bsc Management at Warwick or Bsc Economics at Nottingham! Only difference is I wana do IBD not trading...

I am really keen on a good social life so am inclided to Nottingham and inclided to Nottingham also because Economics is the better course.

What would you advice me to do? Is it a big difference in prospects?
Reply 4
Original post by mohamed68
I have the same decision to make for Bsc Management at Warwick or Bsc Economics at Nottingham! Only difference is I wana do IBD not trading...

I am really keen on a good social life so am inclided to Nottingham and inclided to Nottingham also because Economics is the better course.

If you had taken the 2 seconds to search the forum - just search "nottingham warwick" - you would see this has been discussed already.
Reply 5
Can you please help me out further the more opinions the more informed I will be.....

Do you even know what IBD is?
Reply 7
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig

He definitely doesn't, else he would have been more specific...
Reply 9

Let's be honest, you don't 100% know you wanna do IBD, go to Warwick, apply for spring weeks in different divisions IBD/S+T/Risk/AM/WM and then you'll have an indication of what you prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending