The Student Room Group

I did something stupid and now my friend hates me

I was a part of something stupid a few days ago and I admit it was an insensitive and rude thing to do. Me and my friends got carried away and not of us meant it maliciously. Most of my friends accept this apology as they know it's out of character; in 7 years I have NEVER gotten into an argument - I know that's difficult to believe but I am not a confrontational person. If I'm upset by something I keep it to myself, and I tend to stay out of conflict. However, one of my friends has said she will never forgive me for what I've done, and says the trust between us is broken. She has every right to be upset, it was a silly thing to do. I know to most people this will just sound like an argument that will probably get resolved in a few days, but for her to say what she did is a big deal, especially in our relationship when we have always gotten along like a house on fire. It's my last year of school as well and I don't want things to end how they look like they will end, especially after 7 years of a great dynamic between all of us. I just don't know what to do. I've apologised for three days straight now, she's read my messages but hasn't replied. Do I need to give her space or should I keep pestering her? I just feel awful, and it's not something I'm use to. I've always been on the receiving end of stupid things happening, not the other other way around and I hate myself if I'm perfectly honest. I've tried speaking to her sister who's a year below us, but she says she doesn't want to get involved :L I just don't know what to do :frown:
Reply 1
depends what it was? PM if you want.
Reply 2
Can't help without knowing what you did.

Also paragraphs would be nice.
What did you do?
What did you do that was so bad? It might blow over so wait it out, but if it was really terrible then there isn't much more you can do. Don't really know what to suggest because I don't know what you've done.
SEVEN years? I've been friends with my friends at sixth form for not even two years and we argue all the time! It's natural to have an argument and if she cuts you off it is very childish. Friendships are not about 'getting on' and agreeing all the time. If she still doesn't budge, move on. Don't hate yourself, just let it go if she continues to hold a grudge.
Reply 6
Original post by hannahhannah1
I was a part of something stupid a few days ago and I admit it was an insensitive and rude thing to do. Me and my friends got carried away and not of us meant it maliciously. Most of my friends accept this apology as they know it's out of character; in 7 years I have NEVER gotten into an argument - I know that's difficult to believe but I am not a confrontational person. If I'm upset by something I keep it to myself, and I tend to stay out of conflict. However, one of my friends has said she will never forgive me for what I've done, and says the trust between us is broken. She has every right to be upset, it was a silly thing to do. I know to most people this will just sound like an argument that will probably get resolved in a few days, but for her to say what she did is a big deal, especially in our relationship when we have always gotten along like a house on fire. It's my last year of school as well and I don't want things to end how they look like they will end, especially after 7 years of a great dynamic between all of us. I just don't know what to do. I've apologised for three days straight now, she's read my messages but hasn't replied. Do I need to give her space or should I keep pestering her? I just feel awful, and it's not something I'm use to. I've always been on the receiving end of stupid things happening, not the other other way around and I hate myself if I'm perfectly honest. I've tried speaking to her sister who's a year below us, but she says she doesn't want to get involved :L I just don't know what to do :frown:

potential medic and did something insensitive and rude to a best friend.
Ouchh.
Really need to know what it is you've done to comment. 'Something stupid' could be saying "your hair looks nice today... NOT!" or murdering her mother.
Reply 8
Hi hun,

Give her some time, and hopefully she will come round. Losing trust is a big thing :-\ , your going to have to grovel to her a hell of a lot if she does start speaking to you again (Which I am sure she will).
Reply 9
She's clearly furious at...whatever you did (seriously, it would help to know exactly what happened that was so bad), and although she might forgive you in time you shouldn't expect this, no matter how hard you grovel or how sorry you truly feel - there are some things in life that 'sorry' can't fix, no matter how heartfelt your apology. It would be best to just put it down to experience: don't allow peer pressure to force your behaviour, because there can be irreversible consequences; indeed, this girl may never talk to you again. It's possible. Remember that the next time life leads you down a similar path.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending