The Student Room Group

How do I get into Nursing without Science A Levels? :S

[REMOVED]
(edited 8 years ago)
If you are over 21 you may class as a mature student and therefore considered on more of a personal basis, such as your work experience, circumstances and personal statement.
I would advise getting some voluntary work before you apply; I personally have experience in first aid with St John Ambulance so perhaps you could look into that. Some hospitals have schemes where you can get a placement of 1 week to shadow medical staff. You could also put transferable skills onto your application, for example with your courses you have experience of meeting deadlines, working under pressure, working in a team etc etc.
I got CCD at a-level and applied to unis that required A's and B's but got offered interviews because of my psychology degree I'm in third year doing (I assume).
So I would email admissions for nursing, or even better ring up, to see if they would consider you.

Sell yourself!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by WeirdLittleO
If you are over 21 you may class as a mature student and therefore considered on more of a personal basis, such as your work experience, circumstances and personal statement.

Thanks for the reply. I'm only 18 though lol I've looked for work experience but the majority of them only offer to students who are just finishing A levels or doing GCSE's :frown: The voluntary work are also surprisingly competitive, so if I apply now, I'd only be able to start next year which is too late. I need something concrete by this June as that's when my secure place at uni will 'expire' if I don't get back to them by then :'(
Hi there,

1)Can you maybe go back to college and do an a level in a year? or some as levels ? most unis will accept social sciences like sociology and psychology as a science as well and maybe able to get it free as your still 18.

2)Points wise you may be able to get into adult nursing through clearing but if you want to apply to unis they average points is 260 at least.

3) Have you thought of doing an access to nursing online they tend to be cheaper mine is under 1000 and i pay monthly installments while still working, you need to be dedicated but it will help when you get to uni and provide you with better skills.

4) Have you tried applying? I applied and the first time got an unsuccessful but when i applied the 2nd time i had learnt what they were looking for and was successful, I managed to get an interview over people with years of experience. I would maybe get in touch with your local hospital and ask them if they need volunteers as my local one need dining companions and help taking people to appointments. Also try think outside the box maybe local charities , or gps , community nurses. I am a volunteer girl guiding leader and unis and my employer were very interested in this.

5) Hca apprentiships and cadet nursing normally start at level 2 then go onto level 3 i think

Hope this helps
Enquire into acccess courses

Perfect for people with non traditional backgrounds wishing to work in healthcare
Original post by lucky20
Perfect for people with non traditional backgrounds wishing to work in healthcare

It's the only one i know of that offers full university benefits (student loan, halls etc) - They said money was a big factor. The op isn't an a level student or a graduate as they say they have dropped out. I was just posting the link for them to see there are courses with full funding - What the link does say is that they'd need to get allot of experience, which they don't seem overly keen on saying its too competitive etc. I wasn't suggesting a quick fix which the op seems to be looking for.

Well this thread has been massively helpful to me! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by NatashaB5051
Hi there,

1)Can you maybe go back to college and do an a level in a year? or some as levels ? most unis will accept social sciences like sociology and psychology as a science as well and maybe able to get it free as your still 18.

2)Points wise you may be able to get into adult nursing through clearing but if you want to apply to unis they average points is 260 at least.

3) Have you thought of doing an access to nursing online they tend to be cheaper mine is under 1000 and i pay monthly installments while still working, you need to be dedicated but it will help when you get to uni and provide you with better skills.

4) Have you tried applying? I applied and the first time got an unsuccessful but when i applied the 2nd time i had learnt what they were looking for and was successful, I managed to get an interview over people with years of experience. I would maybe get in touch with your local hospital and ask them if they need volunteers as my local one need dining companions and help taking people to appointments. Also try think outside the box maybe local charities , or gps , community nurses. I am a volunteer girl guiding leader and unis and my employer were very interested in this.

5) Hca apprentiships and cadet nursing normally start at level 2 then go onto level 3 i think

Hope this helps

1) Can't afford it, I turn 19 in a few weeks. Plus I really don't like the idea of going to college (went there for a year in AS, was an awful experience and all people that I've met that went to college say it's terrible :/

2) The lowest I've seen is 240, I only got 220 for A Levels :frown:

3) Still too much money.

4) I've been applying for part-time/weekend jobs for months now, not really getting anywhere cos they all want experience/qualifications. I don't mind volunteering, but I can't afford to spend a year ONLY volunteering, that's something I'll do on the side.

Got any more ideas? :s-smilie:
Original post by lucky20
Enquire into acccess courses

I can't afford to go back to college to study. I turn 19 soon and all those courses are well over the money I've got in my piggy bank :frown:
Original post by vivavangveing
What the link does say is that they'd need to get allot of experience, which they don't seem overly keen on saying its too competitive etc. I wasn't suggesting a quick fix which the op seems to be looking for.

I don't mind volunteering and such, I just can't get any because most want GCSE/A Level students or someone who already has some experience. Those that don't are already full. From what I've been told, the best time would be to apply in the summer for the following year as most positions are gone now.
Never said I wanted a 'quick fix' but money is a big factor and I'm fairly sure no Access in London are offering funding :frown:
I did my alevels up untill i was 21 and it was free
If you go through clearing you have to wait till august till alevel results day and then you may get a place if you want it bad enough then there is always a way why is there a me limit of a year ? I work 12.5 at the moment and it means sacrificing going out unless i work more hours but its what i want to do .
Original post by thnkhppythghts
I don't mind volunteering and such, I just can't get any because most want GCSE/A Level students or someone who already has some experience. Those that don't are already full. From what I've been told, the best time would be to apply in the summer for the following year as most positions are gone now.
Never said I wanted a 'quick fix' but money is a big factor and I'm fairly sure no Access in London are offering funding :frown:

I'm guessing you've checked www.do-it.org ?. In terms of hca work have you tried applying to nursing homes? It may be easier to get experience in a nursing home/ community role and then apply to the nhs. But i'd continue applying to the nhs just incase.
www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=Healthcare+Assistant&l=London. If you drive google home carer or domiciliary care jobs.

From google - Nursing with a foundation year:
www.keele.ac.uk/nursingandmidwifery/prospectiveundergraduatestudents/healthfoundationyear/

Also if you do a search on here you will find tons of threads about applying for hca work and if you check out the medicine threads there will be lots of information on applying for nhs work experience/shadowing.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Last year I applies for child Nursing at London south bank, their requirement was only 200 points. There are places out there that accept lower

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thanks for the reply. I'm only 18 though lol I've looked for work experience but the majority of them only offer to students who are just finishing A levels or doing GCSE's :frown: The voluntary work are also surprisingly competitive, so if I apply now, I'd only be able to start next year which is too late. I need something concrete by this June as that's when my secure place at uni will 'expire' if I don't get back to them by then :'(

Hiya
Aww no worries! Does seem like you are in a difficult situation after having a read through this thread.
Do you have any work experience at all? Unrelated to health care? Like I had my charity shop volunteering on my personal statement haha, saying I was confident to speak to people and serve a diverse range of people - which you would encounter as a nurse. I just took all of my transferable skills and applied them to nursing.
I know it's a pain in the bum to get work experience in health care :frown: I tried last summer and got nowhere. I would definitely advise getting in touch with your local St John Ambulance unit if you can. If you can't get a place this year then it would be worth sorting some experience of any kind out so that you can reapply come September with this on your application :smile:
Which area of the country are you thinking of going to university in?
And what a-levels did you take? You can pull everything out of these and see if there are any transferable skills from them.
But really, ring around the universities you're interested in and see if they would accept an application from you during Extra or clearing. You've got GCSE maths, english and science and some a-levels. 220 points isn't that bad, I got the same :smile: show them that you are passionate and dedicated.
Also, what do you mean about having something concrete by June so that your place at uni doesn't expire? Is this for your computing course? If you completed the first year of it you could get a certificate of higher education which would be something else to add.
Just keep trying for some experience. I know it's not nice to wait another year but if you've tried everything else it may be a possibility :frown: The next intake will soon come round and it's better late than never :smile:
Original post by WeirdLittleO

Do you have any work experience at all? Unrelated to health care? I would definitely advise getting in touch with your local St John Ambulance unit if you can. If you can't get a place this year then it would be worth sorting some experience of any kind out so that you can reapply come September with this on your application :smile:
Also, what do you mean about having something concrete by June so that your place at uni doesn't expire?

Hiya,
Basically I started uni in September, but I'm taking a year out and they're gonna call me in June to confirm if I wanna come back. I don't want to turn them down with nothing to fall back on. I have some work experience but not enough to write a full statement on :frown: I'm still applying for volunteering stuff but at the same time, I really can't afford to spend a year just volunteering. Basically I need a way into nursing this year otherwise I have no choice but to go back to Computing (money is a big factor in this).

From what I gather, I can choose from: Get another loan out to pay for an Access course, do a HCA apprenticeship for 2 years, try and get a HCA Band 2 job or stick with Computing. I don't think there's any other route is there? :'(
Hiya,
Basically I started uni in September, but I'm taking a year out and they're gonna call me in June to confirm if I wanna come back. I don't want to turn them down with nothing to fall back on. I have some work experience but not enough to write a full statement on :frown: I'm still applying for volunteering stuff but at the same time, I really can't afford to spend a year just volunteering. Basically I need a way into nursing this year otherwise I have no choice but to go back to Computing (money is a big factor in this).

From what I gather, I can choose from: Get another loan out to pay for an Access course, do a HCA apprenticeship for 2 years, try and get a HCA Band 2 job or stick with Computing. I don't think there's any other route is there? :'(

Hiya

Ahh I see what you mean. Could you not accept it anyways so that you have something to fall back on or would this mean you're tied to the computing course and not able to accept a nursing offer?

I'm really not sure what to suggest. I know it sucks having to wait another year, I hate the thought of it since it may be an option for me too if I don't get offered a place. But you could finish your degree in computing, get a job in computing and be unhappy or you could wait another year to get into nursing and be doing something you enjoy. :smile:

I would say there is a chance of getting on this year but you really need to ring around the universities you're interested in and see if they would consider you. For example BCU had this open day thing a few weeks back where you just turned up on the day for an interview and if you could start in April and passed the interview you'd be offered a place. Maybe somewhere near you would do something like that?

You will be able to write a personal statement, just take out all of your skills gained from work exp and your a-levels and apply them to nursing. Healthcare experience helps but people get on these courses without it. Don't give up if it's really what you want to do. :smile:
Reply 19
Hi,

Some colleges allow you to take an access course for free if you are on job seekers allowance.

You should check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending