Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7760
Original post by Slumpy
Have you decided what said things are?

Yes - PMed.
Reply 7761
Original post by assmaster
Oh hai guys, long time no speak. How y'all doing? I was marking ridiculously hilarious exam papers, got that 11pm TSR nostalgia and had to log on.

'sup. I'M CURIOUS - WHAT PAPERS?

TSR man, I wonder when we'll all log on for the last time.
Reply 7762
Original post by SimonM
Had my last ever lecture yesterday. Not quite sure how I feel about that, but I'm definitely ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Went to my first lecture in Princeton on Thursday. And my first IAS number theory seminar. And met MANJUL BHARGAVA. DUDE MANJUL IS THE BEST. He has mad**** crazy great ideas. The actual number one most ridiculously creative, ridiculously modest, ridiculously great human.

I feel excited and terrified.
Original post by Hathlan
'sup. I'M CURIOUS - WHAT PAPERS?

TSR man, I wonder when we'll all log on for the last time.

I really should stop, but it's like a very sad and misguided addiction.
Original post by assmaster
Oh hai guys, long time no speak. How y'all doing? I was marking ridiculously hilarious exam papers, got that 11pm TSR nostalgia and had to log on.

Come back more often!
Starting six weeks tomorrow I have four exams on consecutive days that count for 25% of my degree. Now is the time I start to regret slacking.
Reply 7766
Is now too late to reconsider accepting a PhD place?
Reply 7767
Original post by around

no retreat, no regrets
Reply 7768
Original post by Hathlan
no retreat, no regrets

pain is weakness leaving the body?
Reply 7769
Analysis :sigh:
Original post by around

Where are you thinking of going? And to do what?

Original post by cpdavis
Analysis :sigh:

Hang in there! What's bothering you?
Original post by shamika
Where are you thinking of going? And to do what?

Hang in there! What's bothering you?

Well I think it's the amount of content and understanding of proofs :sadnod: I'm working through the weeks (9 in total) and being ill for half of the term didn't help in terms of knowledge gaps. I have also spent longer on certain proofs then I anticipated (for example, limits of supriums and certain subsequences). It's my last exam (31st May) but I realised that I will have to finish all the content by Wednesday so that would give me enough time to work on other modules :sigh:

I'm quite scared and considering that I want to do postgrad (well a masters at least), I don't want Analysis to haunt my transcript :erm:
Original post by cpdavis
Well I think it's the amount of content and understanding of proofs :sadnod: I'm working through the weeks (9 in total) and being ill for half of the term didn't help in terms of knowledge gaps. I have also spent longer on certain proofs then I anticipated (for example, limits of supriums and certain subsequences). It's my last exam (31st May) but I realised that I will have to finish all the content by Wednesday so that would give me enough time to work on other modules :sigh:

I'm quite scared and considering that I want to do postgrad (well a masters at least), I don't want Analysis to haunt my transcript :erm:

Things like Bolzano-Weierstrass? Try the first volume of Zorich, chapters 3-6 (skip over the stuff you don't need). Its clearly written so that might help, if you don't have a decent set of full notes.

Oxford's notes might be useful too.

If it helps, I found Analysis really hard until something clicked. It is a new way of thinking than what you're used to, especially if you're not a pure mathmo!

Finally, some perspective: no one will care about one module mark being lower than your usual marks. Not one university. Try your best and see what happens :smile:
Reply 7774
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by shamika
Things like Bolzano-Weierstrass? Try the first volume of Zorich, chapters 3-6 (skip over the stuff you don't need). Its clearly written so that might help, if you don't have a decent set of full notes.

Oxford's notes might be useful too.

If it helps, I found Analysis really hard until something clicked. It is a new way of thinking than what you're used to, especially if you're not a pure mathmo!

Finally, some perspective: no one will care about one module mark being lower than your usual marks. Not one university. Try your best and see what happens :smile:

I think cpdavis is in his second year, the notes you've attached Shamika is the first analysis course from the first term in Oxford. I've attached the links to the notes to the other two first year analysis courses and the second year analysis course - so whatever you're currently doing should be covered in one of these notes.

First Year - Analysis II

Analysis III in first year is to do with integration, but the notes aren't uploaded yet (since it's taught in this upcoming term) - I do have the notes somewhere though if you want them.

Second year analysis
Original post by Noble.
I think cpdavis is in his second year, the notes you've attached Shamika is the first analysis course from the first term in Oxford. I've attached the links to the notes to the other two first year analysis courses and the second year analysis course - so whatever you're currently doing should be covered in one of these notes.

First Year - Analysis II

Analysis III in first year is to do with integration, but the notes aren't uploaded yet (since it's taught in this upcoming term) - I do have the notes somewhere though if you want them.

Second year analysis

Thanks :smile: The Second year analysis is our complex variables course (but the actual reasoning gets covered in third year). The first link I will use. Thanks!
Finally picked all my modules :biggrin:

Special Relativity and Electromagnetism,
Space Time Geometry and General Relativity,
Rings and Modules,
Elementary Number Theory,
Topics (Includes Game Theory, Distribution of Prime numbers and either Markov chains or time series (not sure what one to pick yet)),
Introduction to Quantum Theory,
Mathematical Theory of Collective Behaviour
and Philosophy of Physics :ahee:
What the hell is collective behaviour? Otherwise that's a pretty awesome set of modules. A lot of work though, Relativity = evil
Reply 7778
Original post by shamika
What the hell is collective behaviour? Otherwise that's a pretty awesome set of modules. A lot of work though, Relativity = evil

Probably math bio - Verhulst equation, epidemiology, that kind of stuff.

I'm not sure whether I want to do a PhD in the States, or indeed in maths full stop. I've got a few things in mind to do instead, but nothing definite.
Original post by shamika

IIRC, it's the study of large groups in particular environments and the properties of the group (so the pattern of disease spreading for example). :yep:

I've prepared for my next year to be difficult, however I think that I can do it. :smile: I can see my tough modules being the relativity ones and Rings (although I do like both of these :yep: )

Quick Reply

Latest