The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

MBA at Loughborough

Hi everyone,

I got the offer of MBA full-time at Loughborough. Is there anyone with the same offer?

By the way, how is the program like? Where is the best place for accommodation? I am an international student.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will_lee
Hi everyone,

I got the offer of MBA full-time at Loughborough. Is there anyone with the same offer?

By the way, how is the program like? Where is the best place for accommodation? I am an international student.

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I am afraid I can't help you with the MBA itself - applied for a completely different subject, but I am glad to finally see another postgrad applicant on here (tried to open a thread here, but that failed obviously :wink:)

Have you had a look at the acommodation website yet? I think the first decision you need to make is whether you'd want to live on campus or off it. Personally I want to live on Campus, but I am not 100% sure if I am accepting Loughborough yet, so I haven't made up my mind on where to live yet.

By the way as an international student you get preference for on-campus acommodation by the way. I am international, too, but my home country is in the EU and I did my undergrad in the UK, so I don't think that'll apply to me as well. :rolleyes:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about the accomendation.

Which subject do you apply for? Which university do you study in for your undergrad?

I have been to the UK twice and lived there for quite a while but I don't know very much about Loughborough univeristy. How good is it? Is it easy to go anywhere from Loughborough? What kind of activities do people usually do there after work or study?

Many thanks,

Will

Original post by la_mariposa
Hey,

I am afraid I can't help you with the MBA itself - applied for a completely different subject, but I am glad to finally see another postgrad applicant on here (tried to open a thread here, but that failed obviously :wink:)

Have you had a look at the acommodation website yet? I think the first decision you need to make is whether you'd want to live on campus or off it. Personally I want to live on Campus, but I am not 100% sure if I am accepting Loughborough yet, so I haven't made up my mind on where to live yet.

By the way as an international student you get preference for on-campus acommodation by the way. I am international, too, but my home country is in the EU and I did my undergrad in the UK, so I don't think that'll apply to me as well. :rolleyes:
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about the accomendation.

Which subject do you apply for? Which university do you study in for your undergrad?

I have been to the UK twice and lived there for quite a while but I don't know very much about Loughborough univeristy. How good is it? Is it easy to go anywhere from Loughborough? What kind of activities do people usually do there after work or study?

Many thanks,

Will

Hey,

at Loughborough I applied for a Masters degree in Sport and I am currently studying in Durham.

To be honest I don't know much about Loughborough outside of my subject either, but business seems to be rated (meaning a 'Top 10' Uni for this subjects). However, I think Loughborough perhaps still lacks a bit in terms of overall prestige, it's certainly not on a level with Oxbridge and the more well known London unis when it comes to this, but as I said league tables should be treated with caution. Having said that some people have indeed called me crazy when I told them I am seriously considering to turn down an offer drom UCL in favour of Loughborough, but I know that I know better than they do and the L'boro is absolutely top for the subject I applied for. :wink: Your course is much more important than what people consider to be a 'good university'

I know Loughborough is a small town, but its size is perhaps comparable to the town where I did my undergrad. I know some people are worried about moving to a small town for uni, but personally I never felt that it was a constraint at all, on the contrary: You really feel the students' impact on a small university town, something you'd never get in London or Birmingham. That pretty much explains the activities - it really depends on your personal interests, but unis over here cater for everything. Personally I spent much of my free time doing sports, student media and volunteer, but there is plenty of stuff to do with arts and music, too. That was my Uni of course, but I dont expect Loughborough to be different. I found a list of societies here and the whole Student Union website is useful when it comes to getting a picture.

Also, don't overestimate England's size - it's fairly small. Loughborough is not only close to Birmingham, Nottingham and Leicester, but it's even possible to go to London for a weekend relatively easily if you like. Even from Durham, which is much less central, I have had the oportunity to go to other places every once in a while. However, it is likely that you will have to much work and sports or society commitments and want to see your friends on the weekends so you might only leave the town for special occasions.

Which country are you from, if I may ask?
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks for all the information you provided. That is very helpful.

I know that Loughborough's sport related courses are top of the league. I am also a sport person and I play basketball, tennis and ultimate frisbee etc. I hope I can also join a couple of sport societies while I am doing my degree there.:biggrin:

I hired an agent to do the visa application and accommodation bookings for me because I am quite busy with my work. They informed me that the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies will be received in June and we will do the accommodation bookings and visa application since then.

I am based in China at this moment. Could you send over your online contact details, like skype or email to me by PM on TSR. I guess we can be friends. :smile:

Thanks,

Will

Original post by la_mariposa
Hey,

at Loughborough I applied for a Masters degree in Sport and I am currently studying in Durham.

To be honest I don't know much about Loughborough outside of my subject either, but business seems to be rated (meaning a 'Top 10' Uni for this subjects). However, I think Loughborough perhaps still lacks a bit in terms of overall prestige, it's certainly not on a level with Oxbridge and the more well known London unis when it comes to this, but as I said league tables should be treated with caution. Having said that some people have indeed called me crazy when I told them I am seriously considering to turn down an offer drom UCL in favour of Loughborough, but I know that I know better than they do and the L'boro is absolutely top for the subject I applied for. :wink: Your course is much more important than what people consider to be a 'good university'

I know Loughborough is a small town, but its size is perhaps comparable to the town where I did my undergrad. I know some people are worried about moving to a small town for uni, but personally I never felt that it was a constraint at all, on the contrary: You really feel the students' impact on a small university town, something you'd never get in London or Birmingham. That pretty much explains the activities - it really depends on your personal interests, but unis over here cater for everything. Personally I spent much of my free time doing sports, student media and volunteer, but there is plenty of stuff to do with arts and music, too. That was my Uni of course, but I dont expect Loughborough to be different. I found a list of societies here and the whole Student Union website is useful when it comes to getting a picture.

Also, don't overestimate England's size - it's fairly small. Loughborough is not only close to Birmingham, Nottingham and Leicester, but it's even possible to go to London for a weekend relatively easily if you like. Even from Durham, which is much less central, I have had the oportunity to go to other places every once in a while. However, it is likely that you will have to much work and sports or society commitments and want to see your friends on the weekends so you might only leave the town for special occasions.

Which country are you from, if I may ask?
Reply 5
The Loughborough Business School is surprisingly one of the best in the country for MBAs. It attracts a lot of seasoned business people, and you'll find the average age for the MBA (potentially the part time one though...) is 35+.

Loughborough is small, its a campus. The town is small, its a university town. But hop on a train 10-30 minutes either side and you're into proper UK cities - although clearly apart from the big 3 they're nothing like China. But put it this way, if you get claustrophobic you can be in London within 80 minutes.

If you choose to live on campus, international students tend to be in the international halls - however they're the types who prefer to communicate in Mandarin 95% of the time, and stay with their own 'people'. If you want the true Loughborough UK experience, go into one of the more expensive post graduate halls and you'll have a great time here.
Reply 6
Thanks indeed for the explanation. That helps me a lot on getting the big picture of the school environment.

I think I would prefer to live in post graduate halls which gives me the opportunity to experience the local life and make a couple of friends. I lived in the UK for quite a while before. Just don't know much about Loughborough. Could you give me some ideas about the cost of living at post graduates halls? What are the names of those halls? By the way, are you a current student at Loughborough?

Many thanks,

Will

Original post by dogie
The Loughborough Business School is surprisingly one of the best in the country for MBAs. It attracts a lot of seasoned business people, and you'll find the average age for the MBA (potentially the part time one though...) is 35+.

Loughborough is small, its a campus. The town is small, its a university town. But hop on a train 10-30 minutes either side and you're into proper UK cities - although clearly apart from the big 3 they're nothing like China. But put it this way, if you get claustrophobic you can be in London within 80 minutes.

If you choose to live on campus, international students tend to be in the international halls - however they're the types who prefer to communicate in Mandarin 95% of the time, and stay with their own 'people'. If you want the true Loughborough UK experience, go into one of the more expensive post graduate halls and you'll have a great time here.
Reply 7
Thanks indeed for the explanation. That helps me a lot on getting the big picture of the school environment.

I think I would prefer to live in post graduate halls which gives me the opportunity to experience the local life and make a couple of friends. I lived in the UK for quite a while before. Just don't know much about Loughborough. Could you give me some ideas about the cost of living at post graduates halls? What are the names of those halls? By the way, are you a current student at Loughborough?

Many thanks,

Will

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/postgraduatehalls/

John Phillips is what I'd refer to as 'China Town' and isn't going to give you a UK experience, it just isn't. Forest Court and Harry French are much better mixed although just to the side of the campus. Does mean they are much quieter though.

Prices range between £4,000-7,000 for a 50 week rent.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/feesdocumentsandforms/Hall%20Fees%202013-14%20Returner%20version%202.1.pdf
Reply 8
Hi Dogie,

Thanks very much for the information. That is really helpful.

I am expecting my CAS to be received in June and I guess the school will request us to book accommodation at that time. I wonder whether they will inform us where will most of the classes take place. So we can choose the nearest place to live.

Thanks in advance!

Original post by dogie
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/postgraduatehalls/

John Phillips is what I'd refer to as 'China Town' and isn't going to give you a UK experience, it just isn't. Forest Court and Harry French are much better mixed although just to the side of the campus. Does mean they are much quieter though.

Prices range between £4,000-7,000 for a 50 week rent.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/feesdocumentsandforms/Hall%20Fees%202013-14%20Returner%20version%202.1.pdf
Reply 9
Hi Dogie,

Thanks very much for the information. That is really helpful.

I am expecting my CAS to be received in June and I guess the school will request us to book accommodation at that time. I wonder whether they will inform us where will most of the classes take place. So we can choose the nearest place to live.

Thanks in advance!

Most of the departments don't actually have lecture theatres and all the general resources in the area. The business school is near the north of the campus (closeish to both those off campus halls) and right next to all of the central lecture facilities. Although no one actually knows until the timetables come out [a day or two before you arrive], I doubt your lecture locations will be of concern for you.

And in the impossible case every lecture is as far away as possible, the whole campus is still a <10 minute trip on the shuttle bus that comes every 5 minutes.
Reply 10
Hello,

I have an offer from Loughborough for MBA ..

I am looking for off campus accommodation for this course... any insights anyone regarding this? where can I look for some good off campus accommodation?

Thanks
Ekta
Reply 11
Hi Ekta,

Nice to see your post here.

I am holding the MBA offer too. I am currently looking into all the accommodation options. Can you message me your email address or Skype ID? We can share some information.

Thanks,

Will

Original post by ekta2106
Hello,

I have an offer from Loughborough for MBA ..

I am looking for off campus accommodation for this course... any insights anyone regarding this? where can I look for some good off campus accommodation?

Thanks
Ekta

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hello,

I've just got an offer form Loughborough. Did you take the offer will? can you give me some feedback?

Thanks,

Radu
Reply 13
Hi Radu.MNTI was wondering if you could share any more information about the Lboro MBA offer that you received. I got accepted back in Feb but I haven't accepted it yet. Do you know the age group of the people in the full-time MBA with internship program?

Thanks
Reply 14
Hi Radu.MNT
I was wondering if you could share any more information about the Lboro MBA offer that you received. I got accepted back in Feb but I haven't accepted it yet. Do you know the age group of the people in the full-time MBA with internship program?

Thanks
Original post by sampan1
Hi Radu.MNT
I was wondering if you could share any more information about the Lboro MBA offer that you received. I got accepted back in Feb but I haven't accepted it yet. Do you know the age group of the people in the full-time MBA with internship program?

Thanks

Hi Sampan1,

I just checked with the Business School about this to confirm, and they said that the average age for their MBA students last year was about 30.

Hope that helps, any questions please give us a shout!
Jarrah
Reply 16
Am about applyimg for loughborough mba with internship. Please does anyone know if students actually gett the internship at the end of the 1st year?....and what percentage doesnt.?
I'm a Nigerian (Africa)
Original post by Cosjay
Am about applyimg for loughborough mba with internship. Please does anyone know if students actually gett the internship at the end of the 1st year?....and what percentage doesnt.?
I'm a Nigerian (Africa)

Hi Cosjay
I've had this response to your question from the MBA Director - I do hope this helps and answers your question.

Allstudents from academic year 2013-2014 who were seeking internships weresuccessful in securing them. Ultimately, students themselves takeresponsibility for securing internships. We support students in their searchfor internships, including working with the University's Careers andEmployability Centre and our own Director of Work Based Learning. International students may be required to transfer to the non internshipprogramme if they have not been able to secure one, due to requirements ofthe UK's Visa and Immigration Authority.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.
Vicky
Reply 18
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Cosjay
I've had this response to your question from the MBA Director - I do hope this helps and answers your question.

Allstudents from academic year 2013-2014 who were seeking internships weresuccessful in securing them. Ultimately, students themselves takeresponsibility for securing internships. We support students in their searchfor internships, including working with the University's Careers andEmployability Centre and our own Director of Work Based Learning. International students may be required to transfer to the non internshipprogramme if they have not been able to secure one, due to requirements ofthe UK's Visa and Immigration Authority.

Vicky

Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Cosjay

Vicky

what is the time given/allowed to secure an internship? what percentage of international students got unpaid internship?
Original post by Cosjay
what is the time given/allowed to secure an internship? what percentage of international students got unpaid internship?

Hi Cosjay

I think the best thing to do is to e-mail the MBA team directly at [email protected]
That way they can answer all your questions directly.

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending