The Student Room Group

AS English Lit Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lisa96
Thanks for the notes, they look really useful :smile:

What grade did you get in the exam? also do you have any advice on how to do well in this exam? :smile:

I got a D the first time and B the latest time - I found it important to give different interpretations of one point (AO3) and then evaluate them with quotes.
Reply 21
Hello, I'm with AQA, and texts that I am studying are:colone:nduring Love, The Great Gatsby, La belle Dans Sans Merci, Porphyria, The Laboratory, The Patriot (an old story), My Last Duchess and Lamia. It would be a great help if anyone had encountered these text and would give me help on the techniques, form, structure and language that they have interpreted. I understand that it is exam preparation time; I do appreciate your help. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Btw is anyone doing enduring love as their text?

Yes I am! Any reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tameeks
Hello, I'm with AQA, and texts that I am studying are:colone:nduring Love, The Great Gatsby, La belle Dans Sans Merci, Porphyria, The Laboratory, The Patriot (an old story), My Last Duchess and Lamia. It would be a great help if anyone had encountered these text and would give me help on the techniques, form, structure and language that they have interpreted. I understand that it is exam preparation time; I do appreciate your help. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
I have some stuff on Gatsby, Enduring Love and Browning Poetry and so if I get time I shall send you it over. In fact if you wanted to PM your email address to me then I have some stuff already on my iPad on Gatsby and enduring love so that may help you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got really happy when I saw this cause I don't feel alone now..

I'm planning on doing Gatsby for section A with Auden as a back up.
Enduring love, Auden & Browning are for section B

I think I have some stuff that will help with any of the above texts I am studying so if you want anything in particular ill rummage through my stuff & send anything that you ask for if I have it:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by ehhok
Hi,
I'm studying Auden and Rossetti for verse and Hosseini - Kite Runner, Fitzgerald - Great Gatsby for prose.

I'd like to know if anyone else is in the same boat and which poems/novels you're going/likely to write about on section a/b?

It'd be a great help

Thanks! :smile:

Oh and my exam is on the 17th of May so 'freaking out' is an understatement

For section B we were told to write 3 mini essays on each of the texts . I am doing Small Island (a) Gatsby,Browning and Colridge - The Rime of The Ancient Mariner (b) If anyone else is doing my texts LET ME KNOW PLEASE XX
Original post by I like school
Yes I am! Any reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Yea, do you know any websites which have notes on each chapter? Themes/motifs that kind of thing? I can't seem to find any :/
What grades are everyone aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Hi! Yea, do you know any websites which have notes on each chapter? Themes/motifs that kind of thing? I can't seem to find any :/

Um well I personally find markedbyteachers.com very useful though you do have to pay to use it so you may not want that... If I find any then I will let you know though I do have some chapter summaries with notes on that sort of thing somewhere... Might try and find them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstBarlow
What grades are everyone aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ideal world an A though not sure if I will continue...

My teacher has knocked my confidence so much I don't even know though what I am really capable of getting and so I will just have to revise like hell and then hope for the best. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ideal world an A though not sure if I will continue...

My teacher has knocked my confidence so much I don't even know though what I am really capable of getting and so I will just have to revise like hell and then hope for the best. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least a B but my last mock I got a D so, I too, have very low confidence in myself right now.
I wish you the best of luck. How's your coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least a B but my last mock I got a D so, I too, have very low confidence in myself right now.
I wish you the best of luck. How's your coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I haven't had my mock back yet, but it went badly I know, wouldn't be surprised with a D as well. It was only a section A mock and on Frost only but I answered the wrong Ab question (as in the wrong one for me) so it was horrendous!

And I don't know they haven't been moderated yet but that's just another stress I don't even want to think about right now! How's yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I haven't had my mock back yet, but it went badly I know, wouldn't be surprised with a D as well. It was only a section A mock and on Frost only but I answered the wrong Ab question (as in the wrong one for me) so it was horrendous!

And I don't know they haven't been moderated yet but that's just another stress I don't even want to think about right now! How's yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a full mock & I answered on Browning when I should of done Gatsby but I didn't like the Gatsby question so I avoided it. It was a stupid move and I'm currently paying for it. It sucks majorly. I knew I'd done bad too so I was expecting it and that made it worse because if I feel the same way after the exams I may as well walk off a cliff.
I really hate AB especially with poetry.
What would you rather answer on poetry or a novel in AA/AB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a full mock & I answered on Browning when I should of done Gatsby but I didn't like the Gatsby question so I avoided it. It was a stupid move and I'm currently paying for it. It sucks majorly. I knew I'd done bad too so I was expecting it and that made it worse because if I feel the same way after the exams I may as well walk off a cliff.
I really hate AB especially with poetry.
What would you rather answer on poetry or a novel in AA/AB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will probably do poetry (Browning or Frost) for part A as I find it easier that way but to be honest I am dreading the exam. I don't think I will be carrying on to next year because my teacher makes me wanna kill myself every single lesson. I have just found out I want be around on results day and so that's going to be another hassle for me - getting my results via a phone call does not sound ideal to me. Ahhhh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will probably do poetry (Browning or Frost) for part A as I find it easier that way but to be honest I am dreading the exam. I don't think I will be carrying on to next year because my teacher makes me wanna kill myself every single lesson. I have just found out I want be around on results day and so that's going to be another hassle for me - getting my results via a phone call does not sound ideal to me. Ahhhh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I vividly agree, I hate the exam & my teacher has also said she doesn't like it. I have two teachers, do you only have one?
Results day is a day I'm hoping takes it time. Not looking forward to it at all.
Most people have said poetry seems like the better choice but I am aiming to do Gatsby because I have a vast knowledge of it and just seems easier to talk about with a developed plot & characters.
However, it wasn't until recently I decided to switch so I see the thought behind poetry and its definitely a back up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I vividly agree, I hate the exam & my teacher has also said she doesn't like it. I have two teachers, do you only have one?
Results day is a day I'm hoping takes it time. Not looking forward to it at all.
Most people have said poetry seems like the better choice but I am aiming to do Gatsby because I have a vast knowledge of it and just seems easier to talk about with a developed plot & characters.
However, it wasn't until recently I decided to switch so I see the thought behind poetry and its definitely a back up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have two teachers but one is a very mean person who seems to make it his mission to make us feel bad eg. 'Oh I have made an envelope with the names of the people I think are going to fail' followed by pointed looks at certain students.
I am not sure if its better or worse to be away for results day!
I have a vast knowledge of Gatsby also (GCSE woo!) and so plan to have this as my part B because then it will balance out how bad my other two are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have two teachers but one is a very mean person who seems to make it his mission to make us feel bad eg. 'Oh I have made an envelope with the names of the people I think are going to fail' followed by pointed looks at certain students.
I am not sure if its better or worse to be away for results day!
I have a vast knowledge of Gatsby also (GCSE woo!) and so plan to have this as my part B because then it will balance out how bad my other two are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so mean! Jeez. I couldn't stand being there! I feel so sorry for you. No way to get this teacher kicked off of A-level teaching?
If you do well than it will be fun to rub it in their face but if not, I wouldn't turn up and see them ever again.
Will your grade determine whether you stay on the course for next year?
Gatsby is great, I think it's fun to talk about and easy to determine what you think of characters and events

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to but in aha, but I would definitely advise you and anyone else taking this exam to opt for a prose text, such as Gatsby, rather than poetry for Section A. There is simply much more to write about and I believe it is much more versatile for the potential questions you may then get asked in Section A, Question B.

Particularly if you are studying Gatsby, do be aware that only chapter 6 hasn't been asked about before, so there is that feeling it is likely to come up in summer. Although, don't put all your eggs in one basket, as in January this was the case, but the question was on chapter 2! Just a thought though :smile:
Original post by Unsworth
Sorry to but in aha, but I would definitely advise you and anyone else taking this exam to opt for a prose text, such as Gatsby, rather than poetry for Section A. There is simply much more to write about and I believe it is much more versatile for the potential questions you may then get asked in Section A, Question B.

Particularly if you are studying Gatsby, do be aware that only chapter 6 hasn't been asked about before, so there is that feeling it is likely to come up in summer. Although, don't put all your eggs in one basket, as in January this was the case, but the question was on chapter 2! Just a thought though :smile:

Thank you for the advice, it's really appreciated.
I will definitely look into chapter 6, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so mean! Jeez. I couldn't stand being there! I feel so sorry for you. No way to get this teacher kicked off of A-level teaching?
If you do well than it will be fun to rub it in their face but if not, I wouldn't turn up and see them ever again.
Will your grade determine whether you stay on the course for next year?
Gatsby is great, I think it's fun to talk about and easy to determine what you think of characters and events

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a nightmare, like I actually feel sick going to his lessons because I am so nervous of being shouted at for nothing and it means my week starts bad because up we have him first two periods Monday morning.
I don't think I will do well though, that's my issue!
Yes basically it will, though I need to have a long hard think over the summer if I wanna put myself through another year of misery generally even if I do get the grade.
I love Gatsby, it's versatile and it's a great book! This is my mug I am so keen for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending