The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Hertfordshire help (Alliteration lol)

:cool:

Basically I need some help in deciding which uni is for me. I've been to Hertfordshire Uni about 3 times and I really like the De Hav campus; its really modern with nice accommodation and the facilities for my course seem very innovative which is a plus.

However the location of De Hav seems to let it down, Hatfield seems like quite a boring town with not much to do during the day or night. I think the Student Union at Herts is meant to be epic with The Forum and stuff, but surely people get bored of the lack of variety.

Can some people inform me if this is an accurate reflection or am I just being a deluded doughnut (more alliteration teheh)?

Thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Curty95
:cool:

Basically I need some help in deciding which uni is for me. I've been to Hertfordshire Uni about 3 times and I really like the De Hav campus; its really modern with nice accommodation and the facilities for my course seem very innovative which is a plus.

However the location of De Hav seems to let it down, Hatfield seems like quite a boring town with not much to do during the day or night. I think the Student Union at Herts is meant to be epic with The Forum and stuff, but surely people get bored of the lack of variety.

Can some people inform me if this is an accurate reflection or am I just being a deluded doughnut (more alliteration teheh)?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I work for the University of Hertfordshire but i'm also a student here (3rd year). I think it's important to weigh up all the factors which are important to you when choosing a University, whilst Hatfield may not be the most exciting town, as you have already mentioned we have an absolutely amazing Students Union here and students never seem to get bored of the number of different events that run throughout the year (i know i haven't).

Both campuses have there plus points, and we are putting a lot of money into both to make them the perfect learning and social environments for students.

Do what you think will be best for you, but i don't think the perceived lack of variety should be a sticking point for you. As soon as you've moved in, made loads of new friends and sampled what Hertfordshire has to offer, you'll find that there is always something to do or somewhere to go that offers a different experience to the one you had last.

Good luck making your decisions and let me know if you have any further questions:smile:

P.s you may find this blog post useful http://blogs.herts.ac.uk/loveherts/2013/03/01/balancing-academic-and-social-factors/

thanks,
Ashley (University of Hertfordshire Official Representative)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Remember you're at university to study. Don't make your decision entirely on the nightlife And social events. By all means take these things into account but I was suggest look at the course specs in detail, and then remember that Hatfield is only 20 minutes from London on the train- the Same as from Hatfield to de hav if you were walking home from a club. Something to think about. X
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hatfield as a town is rubbish, but I agree with the above poster - you're at the uni to study regardless of what the town is like, and London's not far.
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies, I know that social life isn't the main reason to go to Uni; far from it actually. But it is still an important factor to consider.
Are there any other more lively towns/cities near Hatfield apart from London as I have grown up here for 17 years and begun to notice how bloody expensive everything is :confused: :eek:
St Albans us nearby and has more going on than in Hatfield.
Reply 6
Original post by RebeccaHerts
St Albans us nearby and has more going on than in Hatfield.

From your geographical insight lool, I guess you are currently studying at Hertfordshire?
I will be as of September yes, and like you I was a little put off by the town however my course was perfect for me and the opportunities available at herts more than made up for it. Like I said, London and St. Albans are nearby but if you're serious about studying it shouldn't matter too much. Hope you make your mind up soon I know how frustrating it can be not to know what you want. Any more questions let me know, all the best xx
Reply 8
I will be as of September yes, and like you I was a little put off by the town however my course was perfect for me and the opportunities available at herts more than made up for it. Like I said, London and St. Albans are nearby but if you're serious about studying it shouldn't matter too much. Hope you make your mind up soon I know how frustrating it can be not to know what you want. Any more questions let me know, all the best xx

Lool oh right, what course you gonna be studying?
Philosophy with law. I'm confirmed unconditional so I'll definitely see you next year if you decide herts is for you. Xx
Reply 10
Philosophy with law. I'm confirmed unconditional so I'll definitely see you next year if you decide herts is for you. Xx

Ohhhh I'm doing Business and Law, so its possible that we may meet in a couple lectures throughout the year, if we both go lol :wink:x
That'd be cool. Let me know if you do decide to accept ^^
Accepted yet?

Quick Reply