The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Same subjects as me :biggrin:, what's your UMS like? :tongue:

Oh hey, I do those exact same subjects as well; I'm the only one in my year doing this combination so it's quite nice to see someone else doing them as well. I did pretty well in Jan exams. How did you do? Do you find Physics sort of boring compared to Economics and Maths, considering that it's the least relevant subject to Economics?
Reply 41
Yh I know but I meant like in your Jan exams?
Don't really have a specific aim just going for as high as I possibly can :tongue:

My school doesn't do January exams :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Epic Flawless
Oh hey, I do those exact same subjects as well; I'm the only one in my year doing this combination so it's quite nice to see someone else doing them as well. I did pretty well in Jan exams. How did you do? Do you find Physics sort of boring compared to Economics and Maths, considering that it's the least relevant subject to Economics?

Nope I enjoy it :yes:, although the Unit I'm doing atm in Physics is kinda boring! True but the transferable skills in Physics are useful in Econ I guess.

In January I got:

Spoiler

how did you do in terms of UMS? And keeping all 4 next year? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bloxorus
My school doesn't do January exams :/

Fair enough, all the more fun for June :wink:. What exam boards are you with?
Nope I enjoy it :yes:, although the Unit I'm doing atm in Physics is kinda boring! True but the transferable skills in Physics are useful in Econ I guess.

In January I got:

Spoiler

how did you do in terms of UMS? And keeping all 4 next year? :biggrin:

Hmm, I find Physics sort of tedious but do-able nonetheless. I guess I'm going to have to make myself enjoy considering that I'll be keeping my 4 subjects for next years.

In January, I got:

Spoiler

I think I've got some strong competition. =] How many exams do you have in the summer?
Hmm, I find Physics sort of tedious but do-able nonetheless. I guess I'm going to have to make myself enjoy considering that I'll be keeping my 4 subjects for next years.

In January, I got:

Spoiler

I think I've got some strong competition. =] How many exams do you have in the summer?

Waw you truly live up to your name! :hat2:

A little strange how your school decides to do Unit 2 before Unit 1 for Physics :tongue:.

I've got 6: C2, S1, FP1, M2, Physics Unit 1, Econ Unit 2 and you?
Waw you truly live up to your name! :hat2:

A little strange how your school decides to do Unit 2 before Unit 1 for Physics :tongue:.

I've got 6: C2, S1, FP1, M2, Physics Unit 1, Econ Unit 2 and you?

I think the reasoning behind the unit order was because Physics 2 was more closely linked to GCSE but meh.
Anyway, I've got 8 exams in the summer (I'm taking two extra exams): M1, D1, D2, S1, S2, C2, Physics 1 and Econ 2.

Don't you think it's more important to the stats modules as opposed to the mechanics modules? Especially considering that you're hoping to apply for Economics next year? Hell, 1 of the main reasons I self-taught D2 for the exam in the summer is because it has game theory in it! :biggrin:
I think the reasoning behind the unit order was because Physics 2 was more closely linked to GCSE but meh.
Anyway, I've got 8 exams in the summer (I'm taking two extra exams): M1, D1, D2, S1, S2, C2, Physics 1 and Econ 2.

Don't you think it's more important to the stats modules as opposed to the mechanics modules? Especially considering that you're hoping to apply for Economics next year? Hell, 1 of the main reasons I self-taught D2 for the exam in the summer is because it has game theory in it! :biggrin:

The reason for my Unit 2 is that people can resit it in summer if it doesn't go well since it's 50%.

Yes I know, but that's the way my school does it and M2 does help with Physics a bit. Nothing stopping me from selfteaching additional Stats modules next year :tongue:, are the Decision modules any good?
The reason for my Unit 2 is that people can resit it in summer if it doesn't go well since it's 50%.

Yes I know, but that's the way my school does it and M2 does help with Physics a bit. Nothing stopping me from selfteaching additional Stats modules next year :tongue:, are the Decision modules any good?

Well, almost everyone in my class for Further Maths hates D1. Personally, I don't mind it and I actually prefer it over M1 (but not statistics) but that's just me. :biggrin: It's good if you have a methodical way of thinking and game theory in D2 is quite interesting but if not, you will definitely find it tedious.

How is M2? I was considering self-teaching it this year but decided against it as 8 exams is quite a lot.
Well, almost everyone in my class for Further Maths hates D1. Personally, I don't mind it and I actually prefer it over M1 (but not statistics) but that's just me. :biggrin: It's good if you have a methodical way of thinking and game theory in D2 is quite interesting but if not, you will definitely find it tedious.

How is M2? I was considering self-teaching it this year but decided against it as 8 exams is quite a lot.

I've look at the textbook and it just seems like a lot of graphs but no maths! So I'm a bit skeptical. I haven't tried S2 but M1 > S1 but S1's still good tho.

M2 is a lot harder than the rest of them :tongue:, but it's a reasonable jump and pretty do-able. The only tricky stuff is collisions sometimes.
I don't think he needs further maths for any of them choices?

You don't need further maths for anywhere?
Reply 51

In January I got:

Spoiler

how did you do in terms of UMS? I'm guessing they must be Epicly Flawless :colone: And keeping all 4 next year? :biggrin:

In January, I got:

Spoiler

How the hell are you both getting so high in econ, what board is it?
Original post by yaboy
How the hell are you both getting so high in econ, what board is it?

You can memorise the markscheme for edexcel unit 1; easy 100
Reply 53
Original post by tooambitious
You don't need further maths for anywhere?

No where requires you to have it but for the most competitive universities it will be very advantageous to have. As I am currently aware, many universities list it as a highly desirable subject.

Reply 54
Original post by tooambitious
You can memorise the markscheme for edexcel unit 1; easy 100

what board???
Reply 55
Original post by yaboy
what board???

He just said it was edexcel

Reply 56
He just said it was edexcel

apologies, I think its pretty much impossible to get that ums if your under AQA
Reply 57
Original post by yaboy
apologies, I think its pretty much impossible to get that ums if your under AQA

Yes, I'm doing it under OCR but have a friend who's doing edexcel and apparently they have multiple choice questions and everything! And the longest question is worth 8 marks or something like that?
OCR has an 18 marker on each paper but I've heard AQA has a 22 marker?

No where requires you to have it but for the most competitive universities it will be very advantageous to have. As I am currently aware, many universities list it as a highly desirable subject.

I actually disagree. I think it's advantageous for LSE (maybe very advantageous) and (some colleges at) Cambridge. Not sure I would say very advantageous. I think people assume causation when it's a matter of correlation. If someone's realky good at maths they will have usually taken fm, but if they haven't they could probably still cope with most interview questions and come across as very competent (reference probably helps a bit here too). Think of it this way, someone who has done all maths modules by the end of year 12 (perhaps they started in year 11) but does not do FM and someone who does FM but their school structures it so that they do all maths modules first have done exactly the same amount of maths by application stage. I don't see why the latter should be preferred.

I would say for LSE and Cambridge it makes a difference because there's more complusory hardcore maths in their courses. With Cambridge the interview will enable someone without fm to show they're good. At Oxford, I don't think tutors care that much (at most colleges). Warwick gave stated they treat fm like any ither subject. Can't remember UCL's stance

Edit: to be clear I'm talking about getting an offer. In terms of actually doing the course the FP2/3 I've been doing will help a lot and I would therefore advise anyone reading this to take FM
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Yes, I'm doing it under OCR but have a friend who's doing edexcel and apparently they have multiple choice questions and everything! And the longest question is worth 8 marks or something like that?
OCR has an 18 marker on each paper but I've heard AQA has a 22 marker?

yeh its horrible, the exam is too ambiguous and students that are predicted A*s can get Us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending