The Student Room Group

WJEC CG1 AS Computing.

After results today I found out that I have not received the result I wanted, even in my second attempt and so I'm beginning to worry as I only have one last attempt remaining before I leave for university. I have no idea what I keep doing wrong that could be costing me so many marks, I know the majority of the material by using the zigzag revision guide but it seems that this is not enough. Any information on how to revise or revision material for this exam to improve my grade would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
I know that since this course is not super popular and fairly new that their are not many learning resources. If you find it easier to learn with video, their are some videos i have been making that cover wjec alevel computing which are very specific to the exam board and subject, at the moment i am starting with CG1. If you are interested, Go to youtbe and type in 'wjec alevel computing'
Reply 2
My name is 'Thestudentrev'
Reply 3
Original post by StudentRev
My name is 'Thestudentrev'

Oh thank you so much any help is great ! I'm also looking to start revising for the CG4 written exam soon so if you have anything on that I will very much appreciate it.
Reply 4
Some really good resources in last years thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1976680

I'm really scared about this exam, all other exams you need to know the topic in general however for this exam you need to know specific words. For example we did some past exam papers in class and a question said "Why are data flow diagrams useful", we answered, because it allows less computer litterate people to understand the layout of the possible program, and also for the designers to set out the design without being program specific. This answer gave us ZERO marks, all the official mark scheme said was "picture speaks 1000 words", no joke that is all the mark scheme said, any points apart from this are completely wrong and invalid.

HELP :frown: :frown: :frown:

Also I have just sent them a "general inquiry" about situations like the above "asking" if alternate answers to those on the mark scheme will be excepted. I know the answer is no, however I want to see what their response/reasoning is to not allowing alternate (but correct) answers.

I doubt I will get a response but hey, its worth a try.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I understand what you mean. I have no idea how to pass this exam :l.
Reply 6
Original post by Lalelite1
I understand what you mean. I have no idea how to pass this exam :l.

Strangely enough we just did a mock in class and I only dropped one mark on the entire paper. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shows how bloody inconsistent the mark schemes are, this one was pretty lenient (apart from the one mark I dropped that insisted you say that an intranet has to have a login feature on what was a really vague intranet vs internet question.)

I also got a reply from WJEC, "Unfortunately, we are not permitted to directly reply to candidates. If you could ask a member of staff at your centre to put the query through to me, I will endeavour to reply.", seems they don't like listening to candidates opinions on their course. Esspecially when all I actually asked was what was their policy on points outside of the markscheme.
Reply 7
I have started to make some past paper videos(Trying my best!). What the computing Exam board wants is Really specific answers. My Guess is its because no one regards them as a proper exam board so they are trying to make it a more well respected subject. (Making the questions harder)

Also make sure you don't have a lazy teacher/ blagger. Ive seen classes of 30 and only 3 pass.

I understand where you guys are coming from.

@lbsf1 wonder how long theyre gonna keep this subject. It Was made to get more people into computers/ software development. Not working at the moment obviously!
Reply 8
Original post by lbsf1
Strangely enough we just did a mock in class and I only dropped one mark on the entire paper. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shows how bloody inconsistent the mark schemes are, this one was pretty lenient (apart from the one mark I dropped that insisted you say that an intranet has to have a login feature on what was a really vague intranet vs internet question.)

I also got a reply from WJEC, "Unfortunately, we are not permitted to directly reply to candidates. If you could ask a member of staff at your centre to put the query through to me, I will endeavour to reply.", seems they don't like listening to candidates opinions on their course. Esspecially when all I actually asked was what was their policy on points outside of the markscheme.

How have you revised the material and learnt how to answer the questions properly?
Reply 9
Original post by Lalelite1
How have you revised the material and learnt how to answer the questions properly?

Mostly luck. :wink:

I did GCSE computing last year and the content isn't much different from that, hence for me learning the content isn't a huge issue however the notes in the thread I linked two are the best resource I have found so far.
Does anyone have the January 2013 CG1 paper? I really need it to practice as I've done all the other papers
Reply 11
Original post by dying-divinity
Does anyone have the January 2013 CG1 paper? I really need it to practice as I've done all the other papers

yeah i have it, email me on studentrev1 @ (gmail) and ill send it as an attachment
Original post by StudentRev
yeah i have it, email me on studentrev1 @ (gmail) and ill send it as an attachment

Thanks so much, have sent an email :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending