The Student Room Group

Girls name 5 things you look for in a guy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Funny
Be as tall as me so height,
Be caring,
Confident and optimistic.
I need a 6th- He needs to be trustworthy
Well looks aren't the most important thing but obviously I need to be attracted to him
Intelligence
Humour
Outgoing
Creative
Intelligent
Ambitious
good sense of humour
caring
nice eyes
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Umm is there a male version of this thread ?

Here. :smile:
I think looks 100% are the most important thing no matter how much people try to downplay it. Goes for both guys and girls and isn't directed toward either gender in particular

I've always been who I am, not changed much over the last 4 years, was confident, relatively nice and quite funny when I was quite fat, and still am the same guy at 12.5 stone, infact I've been told by my brother that I'm not as nice as I used to be before. Nothing's changed really, but I'm now trim and relatively muscular.

No dates till age 17, to a fair number of dates, lots more attention and now a long term girlfriend in the last 3 years. . Goes for both guys and girls. Its the single most important thing from my experience 100%. Everything else comes after and isn't nearly as important, especially during the teenage/early 20's. Later on as people mature, the other factors a lot of you mention come a lot more into play.
Maybe I'm just bitter that I got nowhere when I was fat. :colondollar:.
Reply 165
Caring
Funny
Affectionate
Confident
Cute
Reply 166
Sense of humour
Taller than me
Nice build
Caring personality
Plays a musical instrument

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vikki1805
Know where your loyalties stand, Dave. :angry:

Oh, I'll always be on the side of the whale, vikram. :daydreaming:
Reply 168
Hmmm five things I'd look for in a guy
Humour, Trust, some of the same interests, socialable, kind?
Height and looks... well considering im 6ft2 female I wouldnt say height is much of a issue just aslong as he isnt under 5ft5.... :colondollar:

Aslong as they can make you smile/laugh i suppose thats the main thing ?
1. A sense of humour.

2. Well Mannered

3. A kind, thoughtful heart.

4. Not afraid to have a good time but has a serious side to them aswell.

5. Non-Judgemental.

They must be trustworthy as well and share the same interests. I actually enjoy debates as they can go on for a while and become interesting

Hope what I said helps!:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ACBLISS
I'm curious to know, has any girl ever been with a guy who has all those characteristics?

Yes. I've had this list for about three years actually, since I was mistreated by my boyfriend at the time. I wrote up things that I 100% needed to have in a relationship in order for me to justify being with the guy (not including basic things like kindness and no abuse; I'd expect that from any decent human being).

My current boyfriend ticks every box, and I didn't meet him by looking for a boyfriend. He sort of just fell into my life, and I honestly can't say how grateful I am to have met him, let alone have fallen in love with him. These guys do exist, and they are phenomenal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by Snagprophet
I see a lot of girls are putting 'confidence' as an attribute they want in blokes. I don't have a lot of confidence and I would want to get confidence from my women, so it all sounds like a 'you have had a job before you can have a job' bull**** from inside a locked in cycle paradox.

That's sort of the point though. People who are saying 'confidence' want a guy who is quietly confident in himself, whose entire sense of confidence & self esteem doesn't revolve around his relationship, because that just never works long term, and isn't very attractive.
Reply 172
Original post by Cornelius
"Clean" is a very peculiar requirement that is nevertheless quite commonly desired. Aren't most guys clean?!

Maybe most. But I had a boyfriend who often didn't shower for like a week then he'd run his head under the tap & consider himself clean, he'd start to grow this really crap greasy looking stubble, he never smelled quite right & he'd wear the same sweaty t-shirt multiple times without washing it. I don't recall him ever brushing his teeth.

That experience was unpleasant enough to warrant some kind of cleanness / personal hygiene requirement.
Reply 173
1) Confidence
2) The "movie" moments
3) Funny
4) TALL
5) Loves the girl genuinely
Money matters when looking for in the future but for now, not really.
Reply 174
Tall
Fun
Adventurous
Responsible
Smart

looks do factor in there, but that more depends on the specific person's liking.

:smile:
Original post by Aaron9890
Yes!! Got all those..

YOU must fall in love with every guy you see :biggrin:
It depends who the girl is. Apparently everyone has a type and many girls fall for brooding bad boys but not all 'bad boys' have dark hair and deep dark tortured eyes etc etc. I don't think I have a type... But I think it would be useful for the guy to be intelligent, understanding, good height, have a good sense of humour and obviously good looks might come in too but sometimes girls find boys attractive even if they are not classically handsome or good looking. I have no idea what sort of features exactly but broad shoulders are good and lightly muscled ( the swimmer's build is one I like a lot). I think ambitious and adventurous is good because I am not a 'homey' person and I quite like work challenges so it wouldn't be compatible to have a boyfriend who couldn't care less. :smile:
Reply 177
Original post by lastlullabyy
1. intelligence, aspirstions & ambitions
2. extraordinary personality
3. well-dressed
4. advanterous
5. preferably dark haired :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm your guy. :rolleyes:
Reply 178
Original post by superduper9
The similar sort of qualities seem to be appear in most lists, which really isn't a surprise. However, one question I have is how quickly do you judge whether a guy has these qualities. For example:

- let's take funny/sense of humour: on the first date, when you're still a bit nervous (the good kind of nervous) and slowly getting to know the girl, I find it quite tricky to start with the jokes straight away. What's more, her sense of humour maybe slightly different to mine; she may like sarcastic humour whereas I tend to be more slapstick type comedy. So, the jokes, banter and humour comes out in full swing only after meeting her a couple of times. Girls may then need to be careful not to judge a guy too quickly.

- let's take job/career/money: the question of "what do you do for a living" gets asked quite early when getting to know someone. So, within a few hours of meeting them, you already know roughly how they're doing financially, what their career prospects are like, whether they're ambitious etc. I say that because this is quite a natural topic to open with on the first couple of dates to find out what they other person does. So, if a guy is doing really well for himself and the girl is impressed by this, gauging him purely on this would be a bit of misjudgement?

In addition to the qualities you look for, I think its worthwhile finding out from the girls, the time frame in which they find/suss out whether a guy has the qualities they're looking for.

I think you can just see it from your point of view.
Is it a deal-breaker for you if the girl isn't funny every single second of your date? Would you feel comfortable if she would crack one joke after the other or would you maybe get the feeling that she's making fun of you i.e. isn't taking you or the date seriously?
Regarding the money question: Do you decide if you like a girl based on how much money she makes? I mean, obviously there are girls and boys to whom that is imporant, but if I have a guy who doesn't earn a lot of money but I like him as a person, I would prefer him over the rich guy who is a d**k in everyday life. I think, the only thing that puts girls off is a guy who is unemployed and just too lazy to get a new job. And regarding ambition: Would you like a girl who doesn't have any goals in her life?

The time frame is probably a very individual thing. Basically, I think the first date is the most important one. Either you click or you don't but that doesn't has to mean, that the guy has to demonstrate all the qualities the girls put on their lists here. In the end, it is about the person and his personality, not about his hair.

I hope that answered your questions somehow :wink:
Reply 179
Same Intelligence as me- So have a degree
Taller than me with heels
Good sense in fashion- well dressed
Fun, ambitious & cultured personality
Educated in domestic affairs- i.e. does not expect me to cool and clean up after him because I am a women....

Quick Reply

Latest