The Student Room Group

Dentist / Defence Barrister or Prosecutor

Which is more lenient on how long and how often you work whilst also ensuring that you get paid very well ? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to be paid very well without much work have you considered winning the lottery? None of those are professions for the lazy and feckless.
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
If you want to be paid very well without much work have you considered winning the lottery? None of those are professions for the lazy and feckless.

I`m neither lazy or feckless I just wanted to know because I wondered which one would more easily allow more hours in the day to do other stuff such as be with family or study, without financial worries becoming a problem. And, I have never considered winning the lottery because I`m a Muslim and it is Ha-ram.:smile:
Original post by A.Cunningham
Which is more lenient on how long and how often you work whilst also ensuring that you get paid very well ? :confused:

Dentist I'd imagine. None would be an easy ride though.

I'd bloody hate to be a dentist though- high suicide rates apparently as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Any thoughts on becoming a dentist and then start practising and earning, whilst also reading law at the same time ? Could it work ?
I've seen it all now.
Reply 6
Any thoughts on becoming a dentist and then start practising and earning, whilst also reading law at the same time ? Could it work ?

Considering that dentistry is a 5 year course with its competitiveness rivalling medicine...you do the maths.

If you want to be paid well, you're going to have to dedicate yourself to a particular field. You really can't half-arse anything.
Reply 7
Original post by Vian
Considering that dentistry is a 5 year course with its competitiveness rivalling medicine...you do the maths.

If you want to be paid well, you're going to have to dedicate yourself to a particular field. You really can't half-arse anything.

Yes, but if you are prepared to do the 5 years, totally focussed and dedicated and then get a well paid job in, for example in dentistry. What is wrong in doing that job and wanting to continue studying but just in another subject that you have a deep interest in such as law. I disagree with your opinion, that it would then be `half arsed`. Because if you have passion and dedication for both , then I believe it can be achieved with total dedication and commitment, whole heartedly. I have also done the maths and if its 5 for dentistry and 3 for law, then only 8 years in the run of getting 2 degrees , so not as long as many make it out to be, like compared to becoming a doctor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
I've seen it all now.

Is there a problem with that ?
Reply 9
Yes, but if you are prepared to do the 5 years, totally focussed and dedicated and then get a well paid job in, for example dentistry. What is wrong in doing that job and wanting to continue studying but just in another subject that you have a deep interest in such as law. I disagree with your opinion, that it would then be `half arsed`. Because if you have passion and dedication for both whole heartedly, then I believe it can be achieved with total dedication and commitment with . and I have done the maths and if its 5 for dentistry and 3 for law so not as long as many make it out to be, like compared to becoming a doctor.

Actually if you're planning to practise law it'll take more than 3 years: 3 year degree + 1 year LPC/BPTC, unless you skip the 3 year degree and just do the 1 year GDL conversion course, having already done a dentistry degree.

But realistically, your idea of working full time as a dentist whilst simultaneously studying law is ludicrous, especially as your OP highlighted that you want plenty of free time to yourself.
Reply 10
Original post by Kenocide
Actually if you're planning to practise law it'll take more than 3 years: 3 year degree + 1 year LPC/BPTC, unless you skip the 3 year degree and just do the 1 year GDL conversion course, having already done a dentistry degree.

But realistically, your idea of working full time as a dentist whilst simultaneously studying law is ludicrous, especially as your OP highlighted that you want plenty of free time to yourself.

Im sorry if that is how it came across I meant free time from work in order to study, and when im not studying to be with my family. Not ludicrous, just different and adventurous, and I would probably skip the 3 year if it is possible and just do the 1 year GDL conversion course, having already done a dentistry degree. I think that, that is what I want to do.
Reply 11
Are you going to become a lawyer once you graduate with your law degree? Or is there other reasoning behind it? Sorry if I sound nosy I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 12
Im sorry if that is how it came across I meant free time from work in order to study, and when im not studying to be with my family. Not ludicrous, just different and adventurous, and I would probably skip the 3 year if it is possible and just do the 1 year GDL conversion course, having already done a dentistry degree. I think that, that is what I want to do.

Good luck remembering what your family members look like if you're planning to study law alongside full time work as a dentist.
Reply 13
Original post by Scotsroo
Are you going to become a lawyer once you graduate with your law degree? Or is there other reasoning behind it? Sorry if I sound nosy I'm just curious :smile:

Umm, its kind of longwinded and slightly difficult.. but here goes.. my family want me to do medicine and I want to do law, but im not allowed to do law because family members dont think its right for me to be a female,asian muslim representing clients in a law court because of culture. but I dont mind doing law or medicine because I enjoy doing my science and maths aswell as my english and rs etc etc. but because my father is paying for all of my education, I want him to understand that I am grateful and respect him and will do medicine if that is what he wants me to do, but I am also determined to do what I want to also do, even if it take longer and more commitment and money. But I will incorporate my law and dentistry degrees (hopefully, so they will be put to good use) because I want to open my own clinics and then may in the future just result to doing soley law, if I ever do get approval.
Reply 14
Good luck remembering what your family members look like if you're planning to study law alongside full time work as a dentist.

dont worry, Ill keep pictures in the office. I`m only joking I would work with my family because we all are doing or want to do similar stuff and want to open clinics together.
Reply 15
Umm, its kind of longwinded and slightly difficult.. but here goes.. my family want me to do medicine and I want to do law, but im not allowed to do law because family members dont think its right for me to be a female,asian muslim representing clients in a law court because of culture. but I dont mind doing law or medicine because I enjoy doing my science and maths aswell as my english and rs etc etc. but because my father is paying for all of my education, I want him to understand that I am grateful and respect him and will do medicine if that is what he wants me to do, but I am also determined to do what I want to also do, even if it take longer and more commitment and money. But I will incorporate my law and dentistry degrees (hopefully, so they will be put to good use) because I want to open my own clinics and then may in the future just result to doing soley law, if I ever do get approval.

Doing a degree because someone else wants you to is a terrible, terrible idea. I have seen many people drop out of university for that exact reason.

Do what you want to do FFS. Or submit to their will and do something else. I don't see how a compromise is viable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Doing a degree because someone else wants you to is a terrible, terrible idea. I have seen many people drop out of university for that exact reason.

It has further complications, if I dont , I get pulled out of education full stop, come out with nada. and dont worry I`m determined not to drop out, come hell or high water, I will get degrees in both dentistry and law whether my family or anybody else likes it or not. I just gotta stay focussed and remain determined to get what I want (even if it is through the long run). Good things come to those who wait (sometimes). I will do it, and then my family cant stop me after I get the dentistry degree because I would have done what they had wanted me too.
Reply 18
It has further complications, if I dont , I get pulled out of education full stop, come out with nada. and dont worry I`m determined not to drop out, come hell or high water, I will get degrees in both dentistry and law whether my family or anybody else likes it or not. I just gotta stay focussed and remain determined to get what I want (even if it is through the long run). Good things come to those who wait (sometimes). I will do it, and then my family cant stop me after I get the dentistry degree because I would have done what they had wanted me too.

I believe you're only 15 and in year 10 at school? Relax a bit and get your GCSEs first, before you worry about this.
Reply 19
Original post by NHSFan
I believe you're only 15 and in year 10 at school? Relax a bit and get your GCSEs first, before you worry about this.

I know you right, but im scared that if I dont forward plan, everyone else will do it for me, and I`ll have no choice in the matter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending