The Student Room Group

C2 intergration edexcel

The diagram shows the finite region, R, bounded by the curve with equation y=x4+x), the line with equation y=12 and the y-axis. A) find coordinate A B) Find area R I have the coordinate as (2,12). I am having trouble with how to find the area. Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SophieL1996
The diagram shows the finite region, R, bounded by the curve with equation y=x4+x), the line with equation y=12 and the y-axis. A) find coordinate A B) Find area R I have the coordinate as (2,12). I am having trouble with how to find the area. Any ideas?

Have you tried drawing a sketch?

What is the equation?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
What is the equation?

The equation for the curve is x(4+x) and for the line y=12
As it's quadratic there will be two answers, of which -6 is the other. You may find it easier with two coordinates. If I remember correctly, I think then you integrate and sub the x values in and subtract them from each other. Hope this helps, sorry my memory isn't too good but c2 was last year for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The equation for the curve is x(4+x) and for the line y=12

Ok that isn't what you put in your opening post!

Either change the subject and integrate xdy\int x \, dy or find ydx\int y \, dx and subtract your answer from the area of a rectangle.
Reply 6
Sorry that is no help to me... The parabola is positive with the horizontal line through it, the area is between A (point of intersection) the y axis and (0,0) What do I take away from what ?
Sorry that is no help to me... The parabola is positive with the horizontal line through it, the area is between A (point of intersection) the y axis and (0,0) What do I take away from what ?

Who are you talking to?

Do you want to integrate with respect to x or to y. Either will work so you choose?

Edit: As this is C2 I would strongly recommend x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

You can split it up into three rectangles, can you work it out from that?
Reply 9
Original post by Jackabc
You can split it up into three rectangles, can you work it out from that?

No, as I have never been taught that
Reply 10
could you attach the diagram, it will make it easier for me to help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jadecross
could you attach the diagram, it will make this easier to help :smile:

Yes I have been trying to but it won't upload :frown:

Me neither.

:confused:
Reply 13
so intergrate between 0 and 2 for equation of curve and minus that from (2x12) ??
The shaded area in this diagram is 02x(4+x)dx\int_0^2 x(4+x) \, dx

Can you see a rectangle that you could subtract this area from to find the area you are interested in?

Reply 15
so intergrate between 0 and 2 for equation of curve and minus that from (2x12) ??
yes, it's as simple as that.
Reply 16
Original post by jadecross
yes, it's as simple as that.

ok thanks I shall have a go :smile:
Reply 17
Thanks I got the right answer of 40/3 thanks for all your help, especially the diagram (helped a lot!) :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M
Me neither.

:confused:

Isn't it bounded by all these graphs twice? So if you worked out the area between -4 and 0, added it to the area under -6 and -4 and then added it to the area between 0 and 2. Or was you just on about one side?

Edit: lol you could still split it up into three rectangles though if you added the areas between 0 and 1, 1 and 1.5, and 1.5 and 2 but that might take a bit longer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jackabc
Isn't it bounded by all these graphs twice? So if you worked out the area between -4 and 0, added it to the area under -6 and -4 and then added it to the area between 0 and 2. Or was you just on about one side?

Edit: lol you could still split it up into three rectangles though if you added the areas between 0 and 1, 1 and 1.5, and 1.5 and 2 but that might take a bit longer.

You are making this WAY too difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest