The Student Room Group

How can I fund graduate medicine?

If you already have a degree and decide in the end that you want to apply for graduate medicine, how do people fund this? Can you get a second loan?

It's one of the things I'm considering if things don't work out but funding would be a major issue.
Reply 1
I understand that the NHS funds you (if on the 4 year programme) for years 2-4. You pay the first year yourself which I don't think has been subjected to the tuition fee increase as its a post-graduate qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by J1mmy
I understand that the NHS funds you (if on the 4 year programme) for years 2-4. You pay the first year yourself which I don't think has been subjected to the tuition fee increase as its a post-graduate qualification?

Is that for everyone or is there a limited amount of it?
You need to raise £9k for the first year, the NHS covers years 2-4 of GEP courses. If you're struggling for a way to get the 9k there are career development loans available worth up to 10k which don't charge interest until you graduate.
Original post by KD35
If you already have a degree and decide in the end that you want to apply for graduate medicine, how do people fund this? Can you get a second loan?

It's one of the things I'm considering if things don't work out but funding would be a major issue.

Hey! Here is a section I got from the website 'www.money4medstudents.org' about funding for medicine as a second degree. This section applies specifically to England, but you could look through the site to find further information. It talks about funding for 2012/2013 but I believe this applies to the academic year 2013/2014 as well. Further years may see an increase in costs due to inflation but this is yet to be officially announced.

Hope this info helps! :smile:

England

Accelerated 4 year graduate entry programme

First year in 2012/13

You can be charged up to a maximum of £9,000 for the year in tuition fees. You’ll have to pay the first £3,465 yourself but you can apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan to fund the difference between £3,465 to a maximum of £9,000.
For living costs you’ll be eligible to apply to Student Finance England for:

Student loan for maintenance

Adult Dependants’ Grant

Childcare Grant

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowances

Travel Expenses for medical students

Years 2 to 4

During these years you’ll be eligible for support from NHS Student Bursaries (England).
If you started your course before 2012/13 this support is the same as that received in year 5 by students doing medicine as a first degree both with regard to tuition fee support and living cost support. See the financial support section for England for more detail.
If you start your course in 2012/13 NHS Student Bursaries will pay £3,465 towards your yearly tuition fees which can be up to £9,000 per year. You can finance the difference between the two amounts with a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. Your living cost support will be the same as that received in year 5 by students doing medicine as a first degree and starting their course in 2012/13. See the financial support section for England for more detail.
Standard 5 + years medical degree

Years 1-4

You’ll have to pay the tuition fees yourself for the first four years. Check the amount with individual medical schools before you commit yourself to the course.
For living costs you’ll be eligible to apply to Student Finance England Finance for:

Student loan for maintenance

Adult Dependants’ Grant

Childcare Grant

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Travel Expenses for medical students

Year 5

You’ll be eligible for support from NHS Student Bursaries for living cost and tuition fee support i.e. your tuition fees will be paid in full. This support is the same as that received in year 5 by students doing medicine as a first degree depending on when you start your course. See the financial support section for England for more detail.
Reply 5
Original post by hoonosewot
You need to raise £9k for the first year, the NHS covers years 2-4 of GEP courses. If you're struggling for a way to get the 9k there are career development loans available worth up to 10k which don't charge interest until you graduate.

You need to raise about £3500, Student Finance will loan you the remaining tuition fees. IIRC the NHS covers the £3500 in subsequent years and Student Finance makes up the difference again, until fourth year, where the NHS covers the whole £9k. You're also entitled to a maintenance loan each year too. If you're Scottish you're kind of screwed if you want to do GEP in England/Wales rather than a 5-year course in Scotland though.
Reply 6
Original post by Ronove
You need to raise about £3500, Student Finance will loan you the remaining tuition fees. IIRC the NHS covers the £3500 in subsequent years and Student Finance makes up the difference again, until fourth year, where the NHS covers the whole £9k. You're also entitled to a maintenance loan each year too. If you're Scottish you're kind of screwed if you want to do GEP in England/Wales rather than a 5-year course in Scotland though.

Indeed RE: Scotland, but the Carnegie Trust has now limited its awards to only Scottish institutions and so may be easier to obtain. Worth trying.

Otherwise there's always the good old selling body parts (just in keeping with the whole medicine aspect, good for the CV 'n that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Hare_murders

Seriously though, it's difficult and you need to raise money but the amount is limited and there are a number of provisions and facilities out there to help you do so.
Reply 7
Hmm, didn't know this. Are students entitled to the means tested maintenance grant also?
Reply 8
YAY! So if I have to do graduate entry, money shouldnt be too much of an issue woo!
Original post by Ronove

I presume that's only for the 4 year GEP, do you know what it would be for the 5 year undergraduate course? I'm guessing you would have to fund the whole degree yourself. Also, would the situation with dentistry be similar?

Reply 10
Original post by J1mmy
Hmm, didn't know this. Are students entitled to the means tested maintenance grant also?

No, only the maintenance loan, which is also means tested if you want the maximum amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Maxxie
No, only the maintenance loan, which is also means tested if you want the maximum amount.

That sucks, the loan is the one that's paid back isn't it.

Surely after my first degree and the GEM most people will be close to 100K worth of debt.
Reply 12
Original post by Schichtoe
Indeed RE: Scotland, but the Carnegie Trust has now limited its awards to only Scottish institutions and so may be easier to obtain. Worth trying.

Otherwise there's always the good old selling body parts (just in keeping with the whole medicine aspect, good for the CV 'n that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Hare_murders

Seriously though, it's difficult and you need to raise money but the amount is limited and there are a number of provisions and facilities out there to help you do so.

I'm not sure what you're saying here about Scottish students. What has changed?

You need to raise £3500 in the first year, and then potentially some supplementary living money in case it's tight during the course. I don't really consider that excessive (well, unless you can get no help from family and you've been unable to find a job since graduating from your first degree, which I guess is quite possible, but not often the case for GEP applicants it seems).

Solid.Snake
I presume that's only for the 4 year GEP, do you know what it would be for the 5 year undergraduate course? I'm guessing you would have to fund the whole degree yourself. Also, would the situation with dentistry be similar?

For the 5 year you'll get no tuition fee support from Student Finance. So that means paying £9k a year yourself until the NHS starts covering it from Year 4. You're still entitled to maintenance loans but I'm not sure whether they're means tested in this case, it could be a basic rate instead.

J1mmy

Surely after my first degree and the GEM most people will be close to 100K worth of debt.

Perhaps, though the NHS help would go a long way, and it's going to be a while yet until GEM students paid £9k a year for their first degree as well. Besides, having £100k of student debt is really no different to having £5k of it. You'd be paying the same amount monthly on either and it makes no sense to pay more than you're asked to in either case.
Reply 13
Original post by Ronove
I'm not sure what you're saying here about Scottish students. What has changed?

You need to raise £3500 in the first year, and then potentially some supplementary living money in case it's tight during the course. I don't really consider that excessive (well, unless you can get no help from family and you've been unable to find a job since graduating from your first degree, which I guess is quite possible, but not often the case for GEP applicants it seems)..

The Carnegie Trust only grants support to Scottish students at Scottish institutions now which has changed as before it was at any institution.

I agree, I don't think it's a lot which is what I meant by 'limited' and I did say there are plenty of options available for financial support. So basically, I just agreed with everything you said..
Reply 14
Original post by J1mmy

Yes, that is the one you pay back.

I think I'm going to have 50-60k worth of debt once my GEM course is over, but I don't care because I'll be a doctor lol. :cool:
Reply 15
Career development loans are only available from years 2-4 on a graduate entry course. This was introduced only a few years ago.... And I'm sure only two banks offer the loans. Barclays I know for definite and the other I'm unsure about.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just out of curiosity, king college london seem to accept any degree, but what are your chances of actually getting in, by that I mean what other criteria are they looking for i.e. work experience in hospitals and stuff?
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Just out of curiosity, king college london seem to accept any degree, but what are your chances of actually getting in, by that I mean what other criteria are they looking for i.e. work experience in hospitals and stuff?

They look for a high UKCAT score >720 but of course they will be looking for significant useful work experience aswell all graduate entry programmes do
Original post by Alex_Jones
They look for a high UKCAT score >720 but of course they will be looking for significant useful work experience aswell all graduate entry programmes do

Ah right cool. Obviosuly I suppose as much work exerience as possible is best, but what would be average for post grad entry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending