The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Watching some Charleston. The green clay is really weird.
Reply 601
Original post by aja89
Watching some Charleston. The green clay is really weird.

Since their experimenting i wonder if they could create a Zebra or tiger court in terms of the colour.
Original post by Rakas21
Since their experimenting i wonder if they could create a Zebra or tiger court in terms of the colour.

:lol: I'm sure that would do our eyes in trying to focus on the ball. I liked Madrid last year from a spectator's viewpoint. The ball was a lot clearer but a few of the players didn't like it, so that put an end to that one.
Reply 603
Original post by TheMagicRat
:lol: I'm sure that would do our eyes in trying to focus on the ball. I liked Madrid last year from a spectator's viewpoint. The ball was a lot clearer but a few of the players didn't like it, so that put an end to that one.

I think it would be great. :biggrin:

Just imagine as the week goes on and the colours merge where they join, it would be like a piece of abstract art.
Reply 604
Del Potro has just received a WC into Monte Carlo, looks like that wrist is getting better. The line-up has just got a bit stronger. Tournament directors still have one waiting for Federer but I doubt he'll take it, Madrid seems to be where he wants to return.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 605
Original post by Natty.B
Del Potro has just received a WC into Monte Carlo, looks like that wrist is getting better. The line-up has just got a bit stronger. Tournament directors still have one waiting for Federer but I doubt he'll take it, Madrid seems to be where he wants to return.

Why do they get wildcards as seeded players?
Reply 606
Original post by Rakas21
Why do they get wildcards as seeded players?

All I know is that Del Potro (and Federer) were not officially entered into MC by the deadline which was 2 weeks ago if I'm remembering correcty, so they weren't part of the entry list that was released recently, so maybe getting WCs is the only option left for entry into the main draw
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah. You can get a WC either as a late entry or because your ranking is too low.

On a separate note, does the ATP tour not have a protected ranking system? If they do, how long do you need to be injured before you qualify? I know in the WTA you used to be able to play with your pre-injury ranking if you were injured for a certain amount of time (for a limited number of tournaments).
Reply 608
Original post by voodooshaman
Yeah. You can get a WC either as a late entry or because your ranking is too low.

On a separate note, does the ATP tour not have a protected ranking system? If they do, how long do you need to be injured before you qualify? I know in the WTA you used to be able to play with your pre-injury ranking if you were injured for a certain amount of time (for a limited number of tournaments).

I think Devvarman had a protected ranking in Miami, not sure what the exact criteria is for it though.
Reply 609
Original post by voodooshaman

at least 6 months, i believe.
Reply 610
I'm sure i read that Verdasco is protected at the moment.
Reply 611
Original post by Rakas21
I'm sure i read that Verdasco is protected at the moment.

really?
Reply 612
Original post by Natty.B
really?

I was looking at tournaments, it's possibly he was injured in April last year.
Reply 613
Original post by Rakas21
I was looking at tournaments, it's possibly he was injured in April last year.

Oh right, I know he's been dealing with an injury recently, something in his neck, which he took time off in February to deal with. But I just checked the ATP website and he wasn't off the tour long enough to have a protected ranking, he played a full schedule last year.
Reply 614
Original post by Natty.B
Oh right, I know he's been dealing with an injury recently, something in his neck, which he took time off in February to deal with. But I just checked the ATP website and he wasn't off the tour long enough to have a protected ranking, he played a full schedule last year.

Must have read it wrong then.
How's everyone today? Been great. :biggrin:
On the topic of protected rankings, Natty is right, you have to be injured for a minimum period of six months. A player petitions for a protected ranking which must be sent within six months of their last tournament. Devvarman finished 2011 at 66 in the world and then spent about 7-8 months of 2011/12 out injured, finishing 2012 ranked 664. As a result, he successfully petitioned for a protected ranking. The protected ranking lasts for the first nine tournaments, excluding those they are granted a wildcard for or any they automatically qualify for because of their current ranking, that a person plays or for nine months.

Original post by Rakas21
Must have read it wrong then.

You may have mistaken Verdasco for Robredo who currently has a protected ranking because missed virtually all 2012.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 617
Original post by Natty.B
So it definitely looks like Rafa will stay No.5 for most, if not all of the Clay Season. We are going to have some interesting QFs for sure at RG!

This was posted from my phone

How many points is nadal behind ferrer?
Reply 618
Original post by TheMagicRat
Apparently this is the first time since November 2003 that neither Federer or Nadal are in the top 2. That's quite a stat.

Almost 10 years:frown:
Reply 619
Original post by Krish4791
Apparently Nadal has pulled out of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters, and so cannot defend his 8 titles there?!

Is this actually true?

EDIT: DAMMIT - I've been tricked! It's an April Fool's Joke!

OMG I nearly got a heart attack whilst reading this :eek::eek::eek:

am an april fool :colondollar:

Latest