The Student Room Group

Better leaving UCAS to the last second or two?

I'll be sending a late application and though, well in for a penny...in for a penny and a half.

Most of the universities will be sending out offers and rejections by now. Assuming most of those with offers will be in no rush to make their replies, would my chance of rejection increase due to the fact that they are waiting to hear back?

Would it be better for me to send my application in around a week before the closing date or so? At least this way the uni will know if they will be in clearing or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The sooner the better.
It doesn't matter if you're on the top of the pile of on the bottom, every application gets equal consideration as far as I am aware.
Reply 3
You get equal consideration if you submit your UCAS before the deadline (15th(?) of January for most courses, earlier for medicine/dentistry/vet sci/oxbridge, march time for art degrees). After that they can easily reject you and give someone else an offer who may have had a weaker application than you, as you are considered as no longer being a candidate of equal consideration (awfully put).
I would imagine earlier the better. If a uni has handed out less offers, they have more places. At some level that has to enter the application staff's minds.
Reply 5
Original post by Funtry
You get equal consideration if you submit your UCAS before the deadline (15th(?) of January for most courses, earlier for medicine/dentistry/vet sci/oxbridge, march time for art degrees). After that they can easily reject you and give someone else an offer who may have had a weaker application than you, as you are considered as no longer being a candidate of equal consideration (awfully put).

Not what I am saying.

I missed the 15/Jan deadline, hence being a late applicant.

Also, that isn't exactly how it works, I can still get a place ahead of weaker applicants. I got plenty of offers last time and applied a week or two before the deadline, the final one in June or whatever. This isn't what I am asking but.

What I asked was, would I be at a better chance sending my application off say after 06/June when all students with offers received before 09/May need to reply by. I am thinking this way the universities will know what sort of places they have available as quite a few students would have rejected their offers.

On the other hand, if I apply next week, the university 'deadline' for offers was only yesterday, so there will be quite a few spaces tied up in offers that students have no intention of making but could remain tied up until 08/May while these students decide between two other universities.

Then again there is a risk I may lose out to someone applying through extra...
Reply 6
Original post by doggyfizzel
I would imagine earlier the better. If a uni has handed out less offers, they have more places. At some level that has to enter the application staff's minds.

What I am saying though, surely at this point, which is well before the deadline for students to make their replies, won't most universities have pretty much no places from sending out a bunch of offers to students who do not intend on going there?

Does it not work like this:

University X has 50 places on a course.

The recieve 200 applications. They shortlist give out 100 offers and reject the other half. Obviously they know that they only have 50 places, but say out of that 100 only 50 will actually firm and 25 will Insure. Cutting it down to 75. Only 5 of the 15 don't make their firm making it a total of 55. Of the firmers in the 55 only 30 make their offers and the rest are unsuccessful applicants. So on results day they are 15 places short...

At the present moment, they have given their 100 offers and can't exceed that. So surely I'd be better waiting until that 100 offers has dropped to 75 including the insurance offer holders?
Original post by bestofyou
What I am saying though, surely at this point, which is well before the deadline for students to make their replies, won't most universities have pretty much no places from sending out a bunch of offers to students who do not intend on going there?

The recieve 200 applications. They shortlist give out 100 offers and reject the other half. Obviously they know that they only have 50 places, but say out of that 100 only 50 will actually firm and 25 will Insure. Cutting it down to 75. Only 5 of the 15 don't make their firm making it a total of 55. Of the firmers in the 55 only 30 make their offers and the rest are unsuccessful applicants. So on results day they are 15 places short...

At the present moment, they have given their 100 offers and can't exceed that. So surely I'd be better waiting until that 100 offers has dropped to 75 including the insurance offer holders?

What if an unusually high number of people make it their firm or insurance choice this year, and the course is already in danger of being slightly over-subscribed?

You're trying to second-guess the system here and it's not going to work :no: Right now you're competing against other late applicants and people applying through Extra, you don't have anything to gain by waiting, but the uni may be giving out offers to other applicants instead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

They don't give out offers like that. It doesn't matter to unis whether they give out 100 or 101. If you're good enough you'll get an offer.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
They don't give out offers like that. It doesn't matter to unis whether they give out 100 or 101. If you're good enough you'll get an offer.

Sent from my GT-S5363

lets be honest if 1000 AAAA grade students, who all took gap years and applied with the results achieved, had great PSs and relevant work experience, high class references etc but decided they wanted to go to a university that asked for 120 UCAS points. They are certainly not going to give out 1000 offers are they?
Reply 10
lets be honest if 1000 AAAA grade students, who all took gap years and applied with the results achieved, had great PSs and relevant work experience, high class references etc but decided they wanted to go to a university that asked for 120 UCAS points. They are certainly not going to give out 1000 offers are they?

1000 students wouldn't apply for that course. Don't be ridiculous.
Reply 11
Original post by Potally_Tissed
What if an unusually high number of people make it their firm or insurance choice this year, and the course is already in danger of being slightly over-subscribed?

You're trying to second-guess the system here and it's not going to work :no: Right now you're competing against other late applicants and people applying through Extra, you don't have anything to gain by waiting, but the uni may be giving out offers to other applicants instead.

by leaving it to the last minute I can see which universities have still got places though. Even if I ring tomorrow (are they open tomorrow?) and they say they are, the number of late applicants is going to be higher at this point than it will be in June and the number of offers they have to give out will likely be much less?

Original post by Juno

Ouch, no need for the neg. I was only trying to cover every angle here. No need for the hostility.

Clearly I am speaking hypothetically. The university must have some sort of statistical system in place that gives them a rough cap of what their maximum number of offers can reach.
(edited 11 years ago)

There would be no financial penalty for them in doing so, they would just have to look at the logistics of such a large cohort. But as a hypothetical that would never happen, so it's moot anyway.
by leaving it to the last minute I can see which universities have still got places though. Even if I ring tomorrow (are they open tomorrow?) and they say they are, the number of late applicants is going to be higher at this point than it will be in June and the number of offers they have to give out will likely be much less?

They should be open tomorrow.

The longer you wait, the more places will have stopped taking applications. You have nothing to gain by waiting.
Reply 14
They should be open tomorrow.

The longer you wait, the more places will have stopped taking applications. You have nothing to gain by waiting.

ok, well to update the one university I really wanted to get into is closed. They said they gave out all their offers already. Would there be a chance of getting an offer in the summer after some of these offers have been declined? Really should have asked this over the phone...

Original post by Juno

Seems they do have limits to the amount of offers they give out.
ok, well to update the one university I really wanted to get into is closed. They said they gave out all their offers already. Would there be a chance of getting an offer in the summer after some of these offers have been declined? Really should have asked this over the phone...

Seems they do have limits to the amount of offers they give out.

I don't know what they do with offers that people have declined. Nearly everyone that I know who applied this year have got all their offers though so I'm not really sure how likely it would be to get offers now :dontknow:

They know approximately how many offers they have to give out in order to get the right number of students there and they're good at getting this right, so it's very unlikely that they'll open the course up to more applications before Clearing.
Reply 17
They know approximately how many offers they have to give out in order to get the right number of students there and they're good at getting this right, so it's very unlikely that they'll open the course up to more applications before Clearing.

so I'd be better just applying elsewhere now and reject and enter clearing if they accept me when clearing opens in July?

also, how do you know much about ucas/admissions.lol You seem to answer my threads all the time :biggrin:
so I'd be better just applying elsewhere now and reject and enter clearing if they accept me when clearing opens in July?

There's no guarantee that course will even be in Clearing (or if it is, that they'd accept you). If there are still other unis you'd be happy at accepting applications, I'd apply now. You don't have to go to any of them if you change your mind later.

While Clearing does in theory open in July, you won't know whether or not the vast majority of courses are in Clearing until results day in the middle of August.
I think OP has a point actually. At this stage a university will be waiting to see how many accept their offers, so they're more likely to reject a late applicant outright, especially for a popular course that is likely to be over-subscribed.

If he waits until nearer the closing date before submitting his application then logically the university is going to know where they stand in regard to numbers, and if by chance they happen to be falling short of filling the course then a late applicant is likely to be considered far more favourably then they would have been when the university wasn't sure whether the course would be full or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending