The Student Room Group

How do you guys do really cheap nights out?

Lot of people here mention how they can do nights out on < £10

From my experience at uni so far any change out of £30 is an absolute bonus.

Any tips on how to make my nights out a bit cheaper?

Scroll to see replies

I just hang around the bar until someone else buys me a drink and the drunker people get, the more drinks they'll buy from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Shots, shots and more shots!
Do most of your drinking before leaving home, and avoid paying entry fees.

After that, flirt. Outrageously.
Reply 4
I wanna know this too. £30 on a night out is a good deal for me. :frown:
Get pissed before you go out. Don't get a take away on your way home.
Reply 6
Original post by playingcards
Do most of your drinking before leaving home, and avoid paying entry fees.

After that, flirt. Outrageously.

I do that already, in saying that, the pre bev itself costs money, and also for a slow drinker like me often isn't worth it(I like to be quite drunk in the club, however if I drink quickly before going out, I end up getting KB'd)

Also I'm a guy so the whole "getting drinks bought for me" thing is out
Reply 7
Original post by Bronco2012
Lot of people here mention how they can do nights out on < £10

From my experience at uni so far any change out of £30 is an absolute bonus.

Its probably easier for a girl to have a cheaper night out than a guy. But here are some tips...

1) Pre Drink up, get tipsy but not too much that your not let in. Make sure you can still stand up straight and walk without wobbling.

2) Share a pitcher, these turn out to be much cheaper for what you get and you can split the cost.

3) Could flirt with girls to buy you drinks but it really works the other way round.

4) If your really desperate you could finish other people's drinks. A lot of people waste their drink by just leaving it on the side when they are done, it's still good booze albeit a bit trampy. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Gary Barlow
Get pissed before you go out. Don't get a take away on your way home.

I always have a few before I leave halls and 9 times out of 10 don't bother with a takeaway

Problem is, it's like a fiver on average to get in, fiver for travel forwards and back, say £5 on predrinks(I tend to buy litre bottles of vodka and apportion it across 4 predrinks, plus the coke to go with it), and then even if I just drink a few out, the night has cost me £20.
Reply 9
Easy. Get drunk before you leave, then you shouldn't even need to buy a drink once you're in the club. Walk to wherever you're going if possible, if not fill the taxi so it should only cost £1 each if you live close to town. Go to student nights as they tend to be cheaper and find the best drinks offers - most places will have regular prices on a lot of drinks but will be selling cheap vodka/pints as well so buy these. See if there is a guest list on Facebook for the night so you can get in free.

I rarely spend £20 on a night out unless it involves getting a taxi for a fair distance. Maybe I'm just lucky I get drunk easily? Pre-drinking is the most important thing though.
Reply 10
Original post by ArtGoblin
Easy. Get drunk before you leave, then you shouldn't even need to buy a drink once you're in the club. Walk to wherever you're going if possible, if not fill the taxi so it should only cost £1 each if you live close to town. Go to student nights as they tend to be cheaper and find the best drinks offers - most places will have regular prices on a lot of drinks but will be selling cheap vodka/pints as well so buy these. See if there is a guest list on Facebook for the night so you can get in free.

I rarely spend £20 on a night out unless it involves getting a taxi for a fair distance. Maybe I'm just lucky I get drunk easily? Pre-drinking is the most important thing though.

I always need at least a few drinks at the club.

I suppose the big problem is the location of my uni.

It's like a half hour bus ride into town. Thankfully the bus is only a pound, but then at my favourite 2 clubs, it's around £5 to get in(They have guestlist for £3, but that requires being there before 11, something my friends aren't prepared to do)

Like I say I can predrink and that obviously reduces the cost but it's still £30+
I always need at least a few drinks at the club.

I suppose the big problem is the location of my uni.

It's like a half hour bus ride into town. Thankfully the bus is only a pound, but then at my favourite 2 clubs, it's around £5 to get in(They have guestlist for £3, but that requires being there before 11, something my friends aren't prepared to do)

Like I say I can predrink and that obviously reduces the cost but it's still £30+

So you have lots of non-negotiable requirements? You need at least a few drinks at the club, you can’t get there in time for cheap entry, and you have to pay each-way transport costs.
You can’t just magically save money if you don’t compromise on these things.
I think people have nights out for £10 because they do things to make it cost £10 rather than £30.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by playingcards
So you have lots of non-negotiable requirements? You need at least a few drinks at the club, you can’t get there in time for cheap entry, and you have to pay each-way transport costs.
You can’t just magically save money if you don’t compromise on these things.
I think people have nights out for £10 because they do things to make it cost £10 rather than £30.

I suppose £20 is still a cheap night :tongue:
I suppose £20 is still a cheap night :tongue:

Yeh I think you need to accept that’s as low as you can make it =)

Have a few shots just before you leave, cos it'll hit you after you get in. When you get in the taxi, bring something in a plastic bottle and share it with whoever you're with. As a last resort you can just bring a hipflask in your pocket, or borrow a girls handbag or something - i haven't done this but i know friends who have.

I reckon I could easily do a night out for under a tenner if i had to. £3 taxis, £3-4 entry and 1 drink inside? Easy. Think the hardest part would be not being tempted when all your friends are buying drinks.

Original post by advice_guru
4) If your really desperate you could finish other people's drinks. A lot of people waste their drink by just leaving it on the side when they are done, it's still good booze albeit a bit trampy. :tongue:

Minesweeping is not cool. Don't do it.
Pre-drink and hip-flasks.
Pre-drink and hip-flasks.

It ain't big, but it's arguably clever.
(edited 11 years ago)
£10 bottle of vodka from Tescos should last two pre drinking sessions. So that's £5 per night. Get discount cards for clubs. So that should cut your entry down to like £3 most nights. Do a couple of shots inside the club and there you go : ).
Pre-drink at home (Aldi spirits, usually)
Borrow someone else's bus pass so I don't have to pay a bus fare
£5 entry (fairly ubiquitous around here)
Drink just enough to keep you drunk whilst in the club - normally a couple of doubles for me, so £5 ish
Reply 19
avoid the 3 deadly Ds:

Drugs
Double Shots
Desorano

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending