The Student Room Group

Should shops be allowed to open on Christmas Day?

Scroll to see replies

No, I like the day off work. I think it should stay how it is, small businesses open at their discretion if they don't celebrate.
Original post by DarkWhite
Yes, not everybody celebrates Christmas.

Too bad for them.
Original post by thunder_chunky
"Why should they open?" is the question. You justify them opening on that day.

Umm, people want to buy things?
I remember pre-1994 when a shop over the size of 3,080 Sq Ft had to shut at 5.30 pm on a Saturday [snip]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Rock Fan
Your thoughts on whether shops should remain closed on Christmas Day

No! Everyone must stop working and go give baby Jesus and his mum gifts!
It's the law! The law! Law! Law! rAHHH!

Actually well yes, and those people should be entitled to 2.5 to 3.5 x regularly hourly pay for giving up a major public holiday. The logic is. A lot of shops close down and so the ones that remain open make a lot more money.
Original post by und3niable_
No, I like the day off work. I think it should stay how it is, small businesses open at their discretion if they don't celebrate.

I agree with you. These people don't even think about the fact that people have to work so these shops can open

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I think they should, especially if the employees (like me) would get paid triple pay for working Christmas Day.
Reply 27
Alright, allow them to open, but in that case employees should be able to refuse to work without risk of being disciplined. In that case they'd have to close anyway.

I think they should be closed on Boxing Day as well, it's absolutely tragic how early some people get up to go to the sales. Have they not got family to be with or are they really that lonely?

Open on Easter though, don't give a crap & I'd much rather have the money.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
I think it's nice that there's a day when shop staff can be guaranteed a day off. Even if you're not religious surely it's nice to have a day off. IF they were open people would be forced to make the decision to work that day or lose their jobs.

Closing on Christmas day isn't a new thing so really people should be prepared it's only one day, you don't need to shop every day.
It should be their choice.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Umm, people want to buy things?

I'm sure people can go one day without the need to buy things.
Original post by ForgetMe
x

But what are the chances of you desperately running out of food on one day. Pretty slim really.
Reply 32

You'd be surprised. I work in a store that is 24/7 over xmas and ny and we make an absolute fortune in "forgotten" sales (cigs, booze, etc)
Yes, not everyone celebrates Christmas, and therefore should open on this day
Original post by jakemittle
I agree with you. These people don't even think about the fact that people have to work so these shops can open

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's not necessary. It is nice to have a day of rest. Although we are a multi-cultural country, it is founded on christianity and it's principles which I think should remain

But if people want to buy things and the shop wants to sell things, why should the government stop them?
No having 2 days a year when shops legally cant open is fine. But on a side not I think Sunday trading laws should be scrapped, just Easter Sunday and Christmas Day kept.

Me and mum had hell trying to buy tampons on Christmas Eve in the evening once because we'd both started our periods early!
And that was when our cornershop wasn't open on Christmas Day.
Apart from Pharmacies, no I don't think they should be open.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Me and mum had hell trying to buy tampons on Christmas Eve in the evening once because we'd both started our periods early!
And that was when our cornershop wasn't open on Christmas Day.

The shops are closed every year on that day, couldn't you have been more prepared? For such an eventuality?

Quick Reply

Latest