The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Rejected from Warwick :/

Hey everyone,
Could you please provide some possible feedback via past experience or opinion on why I got rejected.

I applied to study Law at the University of Warwick and applied during October time.

My AS Grades were : AABB , in Economics , Law, Ancient History and English Lit.

The entry grades were AAA.... which was the same as my predicted grades of AAA.

My GCSE grades were A*`s and A`s and 2 B`s .... I don't know why Warwick rejected me as I applied early and preformed reasonably well in my A-level`s and GCSE`s :/

Help??? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Too many people with the same grades/bad personal statement? It all depends.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
The only thing I can think of, reasonably, is that it wasn't you that wasn't good enough...it was simply that, unfortunately, there were people just that little bit better this year round.

You're right. You performed very well, not just reasonably well. You can ask for feedback. Why not email the admissions/Law department and politely enquire?
Reply 3
My personal statement was really good. I have loads of work experience working with voluntary and legal work experience. It was top notch as I got accepted by my other universities but not Warwick :/
Reply 4
Will do... they were very late on handing out offers this time round. I phoned them up today before I got my offer and they said that they should be handing out more offers this easter.... well that didn't work out for me :s
Original post by Nero213
My personal statement was really good. I have loads of work experience working with voluntary and legal work experience. It was top notch as I got accepted by my other universities but not Warwick :/

Email them and ask for feedback, only way of knowing for sure.

How good was your reference from Sixth Form/College?
Reply 6
Original post by Nero213

Were you interviewed?
Reply 7
No I wasn't... it was just a simple offer or decline.
Reply 8
Original post by ExWunderkind
Email them and ask for feedback, only way of knowing for sure.

How good was your reference from Sixth Form/College?

My reference was awesome... I had read it before it was sent off.
Original post by Nero213
My reference was awesome... I had read it before it was sent off.

Well definitely email them, it could be a mistake and you asking them for feedback might highlight this. It's not unheard of for rejections to become offers after feedback has been requested, but I don't want to build your hopes up unnecessarily.
Reply 10
Original post by Nero213
No I wasn't... it was just a simple offer or decline.

Well there it is they just didn't know you mate :smile:
You look to have had a strong application. However, I think that your AS grades were maybe just too low? They probably had many strong applicants, and you were just unlucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ExWunderkind
Well definitely email them, it could be a mistake and you asking them for feedback might highlight this. It's not unheard of for rejections to become offers after feedback has been requested, but I don't want to build your hopes up unnecessarily.

I understand, although it has happened to my friend who was rejected from medicine at Liverpool then a few days later it was converted into an offer :redface:

I will definitley email them :") Thanks.
It may be your grades - you only achieved AAB in the AS levels you are currently continuing with to A2 (or even ABB...), so they may think that AAA is a bit of a high prediction - it is more likely that you will achieve the same grades or even a grade lower than to go up a grade, according to some stats they showed us at college. If all the other applicants had already achieved AAA in the ASs they are currently continuing with to A2, then Warwick would obviously be more confident in them achieving the grades. It could also be your reference or how you sounded in your personal statement - did you perhaps sound too cocky or boastful rather than enthusiastic? It's sometimes hard to judge where the balance is, and different admissions tutors may interpret your personal statement differently. The same can be said if you were interviewed.
Reply 14
Original post by joostan
Well there it is they just didn't know you mate :smile:

LOL do you know anyone who had an interview for Law?
Reply 15
Original post by Nero213
LOL do you know anyone who had an interview for Law?

A guy down my road got interviewed at Oxford, dunno about warwick though.
Reply 16
Original post by dragonkeeper999
It may be your grades - you only achieved AAB in the AS levels you are currently continuing with to A2 (or even ABB...), so they may think that AAA is a bit of a high prediction - it is more likely that you will achieve the same grades or even a grade lower than to go up a grade, according to some stats they showed us at college. If all the other applicants had already achieved AAA in the ASs they are currently continuing with to A2, then Warwick would obviously be more confident in them achieving the grades. It could also be your reference or how you sounded in your personal statement - did you perhaps sound too cocky or boastful rather than enthusiastic? It's sometimes hard to judge where the balance is, and different admissions tutors may interpret your personal statement differently. The same can be said if you were interviewed.

Ahh I see... I carried into A2 with AAB.... My Law teacher should of predicted me A* for law as I achieved 100% in Unit 1 and Unit 2 I got an A. But she didn't :s-smilie:
My personal statement was strong without being too boastful.. I kept it humble yet direct to the point. Hmmm... I wonder what there responce will be to declining me :O
Reply 17
Original post by joostan
A guy down my road got interviewed at Oxford, dunno about warwick though.

Oh, it's common to get interviews for Oxford. However for Warwick for Law I haven't met anyone yet. Also, I know another student who got an offer from Warwick with lower predicted grades then me and achieved BBCE at AS.... Where is the logic!! :O
Your best bet is to email the admissions office and request feedback on your rejection. Did you get offers from all your other choices?
Reply 19
Original post by Nero213
Oh, it's common to get interviews for Oxford. However for Warwick for Law I haven't met anyone yet. Also, I know another student who got an offer from Warwick with lower predicted grades then me and achieved BBCE at AS.... Where is the logic!! :O

There is none :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest